[Newsbriefs] ACC Newsbriefs – January 17, 2020

ADLA NewsBriefs newsbriefs at lists.la-archdiocese.org
Fri Jan 17 09:58:29 PST 2020

ACC Newsbriefs – January 17, 2020

Welcome to ACC Newsbriefs from the Archdiocesan Catholic Center (ACC) in Los Angeles. This weekly update (issued each Friday) brings news about the latest ministries, resources, events, workshops, etc. of the ACC departments and other entities. For more general information, please check the Archdiocesan website at:

http://www.la-archdiocese.org<http://www.la-archdiocese.org/>

Lines in the headline section link to the items themselves.  Just click on the headline and it will take you to the requested item.

New This Week:

  1.    Holy Family Parish in South Pasadena:  “Encountering the Divine in Pictorial Space” with Patty Wickman, Wednesday, January 22

  2.    Prayer and Life Workshops / Talleres de Oracion y Vida:  Workshop to be Held Tuesday, January 28, in Whittier

  3.    Pauline Books and Media in Culver City:  “Encountering God in Sacred Scripture” Retreat, Saturday, February 1

  4.    Serra Retreat Center in Malibu:  Hispanic Women’s Retreat in Spanish, Friday, February 14, through Sunday, February 16

  5.    Catholic Charities:  Walk with Bp. David O’Connell to Support Catholic Charities in the San Gabriel Region, Saturday, February 29, in La Puente

  6.    Mission Doctors Association:  “A Heart for the World” Benefit Gala and Dinner, Saturday, March 7, in Los Angeles

  7.    Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University:  Calendar of Events

Important Information and Continuing Events:

  8.    Our Lady of Grace Parish in Encino:  One-Day Scripture Study, “Matthew 5-D,” Saturday, January 18

  9.    Southern California Renewal Communities:  "Healing the Family Tree:  Praying for Our Loved Ones Living and Deceased," Saturday, January 18, in Chatsworth

10.     Pauline Books and Media in Culver City:  Vatican’s International Exhibition of Eucharistic Miracles of the World, Saturday, January 18

11.     Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health and Our Lady of Grace Parish in Encino:  Free Mental Health Workshops, Saturdays, January 25 through April 18

12.     Archbishop’s Office of Special Services:  Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ Official Pilgrimage to the Holy Land Informational Meeting, Sunday, January 26, in Los Angeles

13.     Southern California Christian Forum; Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs; and Good Shepherd Parish in Beverly Hills:  2020 Prayer Service for Christian Unity, Sunday, January 26, in Beverly Hills

14.     Religious Education Congress:  Call for Choir Members for Congress Choir 2020; Rehearsals at Various Locations

15.     Separated and Divorced Ministry in the Office of Family Life:  “Healing the Hearts of the Family” with Judy McCord, L.M.F.T., Thursday, February 6, in South Pasadena

16.     Order of Malta and Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels:  Mass and Anointing of the Sick, Saturday, February 8, in Los Angeles

17.     Loyola Marymount University and Inward Bound Center for Nonprofit Leadership:  Free One-and-a-half Day Workshop, “Racism in America:  What is Mine to Do?” Saturday, February 8, and Sunday, February 9

18.     St. Linus Parish in Norwalk:  Marian Shrines Pilgrimage, Monday, May 11, through Sunday, May 24, in Europe; Payment Due by Tuesday, February 11

19.     Office of Native American Concerns:  “Healing Together Through Story Telling,” Tuesday, February 18, in San Gabriel

20.     University Series Lenten Program and Our Lady of Grace Parish in Encino:  University Series Talks this Spring

21.     Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Abrahamic House Accepting Applications

22.     Catholic Charities of Los Angeles:  Free Services for People who Have Already Applied for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Every Tuesday in Los Angeles

23.     Greater South Bay Catholic Co-ed Adult Softball League:  Players Needed for 2020 Season with Games in Torrance

24.     Get on the Bus Program:  Volunteers Needed

25.     Emmaus Spiritual Ministries in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Events on Men’s Spirituality; and Enrichment for Spiritual Directors

26.     St. Andrew’s Abbey in Valyermo:  Calendar of Events

27.     Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Events

28.     C.S.J. Center for Reconciliation and Justice at Loyola Marymount University:  “Justice and Spirituality on Screen” Series

New This Week:

1.      Holy Family Parish in South Pasadena:  “Encountering the Divine in Pictorial Space” with Patty Wickman, Wednesday, January 22

Holy Family Parish in South Pasadena is holding a special talk entitled “Encountering the Divine in Pictoral Space” presented by parishioner Patty Wickman, Professor of Art at U.C.L.A.  This event will be held on Wednesday, January 22, at 9:30 a.m.  (Refreshments at 9:00 a.m.)  This event is free and open to the public; however, donations are gratefully accepted.  Artists have long sought to embody the divine in pictorial space.  Painters as diverse as Fra Angelico, Hildegard von Bingen, Piero della Francesco, Hilma af Klint, and Mark Rothko have given form to mystical experience in distinct and visionary ways.  The space that Wickman strives to create in her own paintings is a contemplative space that embodies mystery and encourages reflection.  In this talk, Wickman will discuss spatial strategies artists have employed over the centuries to reflect their experience of the divine.  Addressing the use of space in her own work, she will further discuss the daily practice of being attendant to God’s presence in the spaces in which we live our lives.  Patty Wickman has shown her art nationally and internationally, including at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles.  For more information, please contact the parish at 818-799-8908 or at:

reception at holyfamily.org<mailto:reception at holyfamily.org>

2.      Prayer and Life Workshops / Talleres de Oracion y Vida:  Workshop to be Held Tuesday, January 28, in Whittier

Prayer and Life Workshops were founded by Fr. Ignacio Larrañaga, O.F.M.Cap.  They aim to help people pray better by using Scripture and one’s own experiences, with the aim of a personal relationship with God.  The next Prayer and Life Workshop will be held on Tuesday, January 28, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., at St. Mary of the Assumption Parish in Whittier.  This workshop is free and open to the public.  For more information, please contact Filomena Rombeiro at 562-715-0337 or at:

plwfilomena at gmail.com<mailto:plwfilomena at gmail.com>

3.      Pauline Books and Media in Culver City:  “Encountering God in Sacred Scripture” Retreat, Saturday, February 1

Pauline Books and Media in Culver City (3908 Sepulveda Blvd. in Culver City, CA  90230) is hosting a retreat, “Encountering God in Sacred Scripture,” with Sr. Patricia Shaules, F.S.P., on Saturday, February 1, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., with Mass available at 4:00 p.m.  How can we grow in our relationship with God?  Through Scriptural prayer.  In this retreat, we will deepen our awareness of God’s presence in Sacred Scripture and will learn several ways of praying with the bible so that our relationship with God will deepen and grow in love, knowledge, and trust.  Donation:  $30.  Lunch will be provided.  Please bring your bible.  Please register by calling 310-397-8676 or emailing:

culvercity at paulinemedia.com<mailto:culvercity at paulinemedia.com>

4.      Serra Retreat Center in Malibu:  Hispanic Women’s Retreat in Spanish, Friday, February 14, through Sunday, February 16

Hispanic Women’s Retreat. Retiro de Mujeres Hispanas con el Padre Raymundo Tintle, OFM y la Hermana Ines Telles, CSJ.  3pm Viernes Febrero 14 - 1pm Domingo Febrero 16.  Los Padres Franciscanos les invitan a un fin de semana “Para Seguir el Camino para vivir en la Paz.”  Un tiempo para conocer quien eres en los ojos de Dios.  Tomate unos días para tomar conciencia del amor a la compasión de Dios hacia ti.  El costo es $220 por persona por un cuarto doble, o $280 por persona por un cuarto privado (incluye 6 comidas).  Se requiere un depósito de $50 no reembolsable al tiempo de registrarte.  La invitación es para mujeres de todas las fes y doctrinas, y de distintos caminares.  Para más información favor de contactar el Centro al 310-456-6631 Ext. 10 o visite:

www.serraretreat.com<http://www.serraretreat.com>

5.      Catholic Charities:  Walk with Bp. David O’Connell to Support Catholic Charities in the San Gabriel Region, Saturday, February 29, in La Puente

All are invited to join Bp. David O’Connell to walk/run the track at Bishop Amat High School in La Puente on Saturday, February 29, from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. to pray the rosary, and help raise awareness and funds to support Catholic Charities San Gabriel Region programs and services that provide help and hope for the poor, marginalized, hungry, and homeless in our local communities, especially families with children.  Cost is $10 per person, and people are encouraged to raise additional funds.  Participants and teams can register on-line at:
https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campaign/footprints-2020

6.      Mission Doctors Association:  “A Heart for the World” Benefit Gala and Dinner, Saturday, March 7, in Los Angeles

The Mission Doctors Association is hosting its annual gala and dinner, “A Heart for the World,” on Saturday evening, March 7, at the City Club of Los Angeles, located at 555 S. Flower St., 51st floor, Los Angeles, CA  90071.  Cost is $275 per person.  The evening will celebrate the lifesaving work of the doctors of the Mission Doctors Association.  Purchase tickets online at:

https://www.missiondoctors.org/mission-doctors-auxiliary-benefit/

7.      Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University:  Calendar of Events

The Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University is sponsoring the following events.  Clicking on the title provides more information, including cost and registration:

Workshop: "Call to Detachment: Theology and Spirituality of Meister Eckhart"<https://cal.lmu.edu/event/lmux200208?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=Loyola+Marymount+University> with Dr. Jim Finley and Dr. Charlotte Radler
Saturday, February 8, 10:30am to 3:30 pm
A two-part workshop with Dr. Jim Finley and Dr. Charlotte Radler exploring the mystical theology of Meister Eckhart (ca. 1260-1328). Dr. Jim Finley will open the day with an introductory poetic exploration of Meister Eckhart’s foundational teachings.  In the afternoon, Dr. Charlotte Radler will discuss Meister Eckhart’s mystical theology and will focus on such key themes as love, detachment, and mystical union. .  Through moments of reflection and discussion, we will explore how we can learn to stabilize in a habitual awareness of the divinity of our lives.

Workshop: "Mindful Communication"<https://cal.lmu.edu/event/lmux200215?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=Loyola+Marymount+University> with Maureen Shannon-Chapple
Saturday, February 15, 9am to 12pm
This workshop will explore the intersection between mindfulness practice and social justice work, with special attention to developing mindful communication skills. How do we effectively communicate, especially in conflict situations, in a way that reflects the values and insights nurtured in the quiet of meditation? How do we express the practice in active, socially engaged contexts? Guided practice periods and communication exercises will be included as ways to inspire our own responses to these important questions.

Workshop: "The Darkness of God: Loss, Suffering and the Common Life"<https://cal.lmu.edu/event/lmux200321?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=Loyola+Marymount+University> with Dr. Douglas Christie
Saturday, March 21, 9am to 2pm
Darkness figures importantly within Christian spirituality and mysticism. Sometimes it reflects a sense of the profound mystery of God, who exists beyond all language and concepts, in a “Cloud of Unknowing” or a “Dark Silence.” Other times it reflects a sense of loss and suffering that befalls human beings on their spiritual journey. This workshop will consider the importance of darkness within Christian contemplative practice and ask how a greater attention to this dimension of spiritual practice can help us navigate the complexity and uncertainty of life.

Retreat: Easter and the Holy Spirit: Day of Reflection and Prayer<https://cal.lmu.edu/event/lmux200419a?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=Loyola+Marymount+University> with Fr. Randy Roche and Ms. Elsy Arevalo
Sunday, April 19, 9:30 am to 3pm
Join us for a day of prayer, reflection, and fellowship focusing on the meaning of Easter. We will close the day together with a Eucharistic celebration.

Workshop: "Aging with Wisdom and Grace"<https://cal.lmu.edu/event/lmux200425a?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=Loyola+Marymount+University> with Drs. Wilkie and Noreen Cannon Au
Saturday, April 25, 9am to 12pm
In their most recent book, Aging with Wisdom and Grace, the Au’s present a spirituality of aging, which explores the role that faith can play in optimal aging by providing a Christian perspective on such topics as: loss and diminishment, loneliness and suffering, death and dying. The workshop will also reflect on many of the issues that confront older people, such as dealing with past regrets and unhealed wounds, learning how to forgive, maintaining a sense of self-worth by contributing to others, and sustaining hope and gratitude in the face of decline.

For more information about any of their workshops, please access:

http://extension.lmu.edu/crs or call 310.338.2799<http://extension.lmu.edu/crs%20or%20call%20310.338.2799>

Important Information and Continuing Events:

8.      Our Lady of Grace Parish in Encino:  One-Day Scripture Study, “Matthew 5-D,” Saturday, January 18

Our Lady of Grace Parish in Encino is holding a free one-day scripture study focusing on the five discourses by Jesus, found in the Gospel according to Matthew.  “Matthew 5-D” will be held on Saturday, January 18, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Light snacks will be provided; participants are asked to bring their own lunch.  Since seating is limited, registration is required.  Register to:

Anisha.Virgen at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:Anisha.Virgen at la-archdiocese.org>

9.      Southern California Renewal Communities:  "Healing the Family Tree:  Praying for Our Loved Ones Living and Deceased," Saturday, January 18, in Chatsworth

Southern California Renewal Communities (SCRC) is sponsoring “Healing the Family Tree:  Praying for Our Loves Ones Living and Deceased.”  It will be held on Saturday, January 18, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at St. John Eudes Parish in Chatsworth.  The day will be led by Fr. Michael Barry, SS.CC. and Mr. Dominic Berardino.  Topics will include:  "Healing the Harmful Effects of Ancestral Sin"; "Why is it Important to Pray for the Deceased?"; "Breaking Bondages Over Generations"; and "Helping Future Generations Experience Freedom and Transformation".  The day will conclude with Mass for Healing the Family Tree.  Cost for this event is $25 per person.  Please bring sack lunch or drive to nearby restaurants.   Online registration is available at:

http://www.scrc.org

10.     Pauline Books and Media in Culver City:  Vatican’s International Exhibition of Eucharistic Miracles of the World, Saturday, January 18

On Saturday, January 18, Pauline Books and Media in Culver City is hosting the Vatican’s International Exhibition of Eucharistic Miracles of the World and presentations on miracle stories, the scientific study and Scriptural basis for belief in Jesus’ true presence in the Eucharist. Presentations are at 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. The Eucharistic Miracles exhibit will be open from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm and 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm.  This event is free and open to the public.  Pauline Books and Media is at 3908 Sepulveda Blvd, Culver City, CA  90230. For more information, please call 310-397-8676.

11.     Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health and Our Lady of Grace Parish in Encino:  Free Mental Health Workshops, Saturdays, January 25 through April 18

Our Lady of Grace Parish in Encino is hosting a series of free Mental Health Workshops run by the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.  They will take place on Saturdays, from 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., from January 25, through April 18.  Topics will include:  Mental Health and Stigma; Anxiety; Depression; Grief and Loss; Suicide Prevention; and much more.  These events are free and open to the public.  For more information, please contact Beth Boyd at 818-906-3634.

12.     Archbishop’s Office of Special Services:  Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ Official Pilgrimage to the Holy Land Informational Meeting, Sunday, January 26, in Los Angeles

All are invited to join Archbishop José H. Gomez along with Bishop David O’Connell, Monsignor Antonio Cacciapuoti, Fr. James Anguiano, and Fr. Parker Sandoval on a once-in-a-lifetime Pilgrimage to the Holy Land: 11 days, October 26 to November 5, 2020.  Join us as we Walk in the Footsteps of Jesus!  Only $4,299 from Los Angeles (LAX) plus $195 in tips.  Download the free color brochure and registration form at:

www.GoCatholicTravel.com/20033<http://www.GoCatholicTravel.com/20033> .

Join us at our upcoming Informational Meeting:  Sunday, January 26, at 2:00 p.m.  The Cathedral Conference Center.  555 West Temple Street.  Los Angeles, CA 90012.  All are welcome!  Bring your checkbook to register; space on this pilgrimage is limited.

For more information, please contact Group Coordinator, Mrs. Judy Brooks, Archbishop’s Office for Special Services, at (213) 637-7551 or:

pilgrimage at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:pilgrimage at la-archdiocese.org>

13.     Southern California Christian Forum; Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs; and Good Shepherd Parish in Beverly Hills:  2020 Prayer Service for Christian Unity, Sunday, January 26, in Beverly Hills

Good Shepherd Parish in Beverly Hills is hosting the 2020 Prayer Service for Christian Unity for the Southern California Christian Forum on Sunday, January 26, at 2:00 p.m.  All are invited to join Christian leaders from across the region for an exceptional afternoon of worship, music, and prayer for the unity of all of Christ's followers.  This year's guest speakers include The Rev. Janet Broderick, Rector of All Saints Episcopal Church, Beverly Hills; Rev. Andrew Eagles, Pastor of Beverly Hills Presbyterian Church; and Giampiero Sciutto of Focolare.  Reception to follow. This event is free and all are welcome!  The service is based on the official materials for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, prepared jointly by the World Council of Churches and the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.  The theme of this year's service is taken from Acts 28:2:  "They showed us unusual kindness."  For more information, please contact Sandra Bossi, Ecumenical Representative of Good Shepherd Parish, at:

ChristianUnityGS at gmail.com<mailto:ChristianUnityGS at gmail.com>

or visit:

gsbh.org/ecumenicalandinterfaith<http://gsbh.org/ecumenicalandinterfaith>

14.     Religious Education Congress:  Call for Choir Members for Congress Choir 2020; Rehearsals at Various Locations

"Live Mercy, Be Holy”|“Vive la misericordia y la santidad”|“Sống Nhân Từ - Hãy Nên Thánh is the theme of the 2020 Los Angeles Religious Education Congress.  GIA composer and former Angeleno, Tony Alonso, has composed this year’s theme song for us!  He has truly gifted the Church with an inspiring work of art.

All are invited to consider participating in Congress Choir 2020.  The combined talents of nearly 300 musicians comprise the group that will provide the music for the final liturgies on Sunday, February 23.  Over 19,000 people attend these liturgies.

To participate, RSVP by clicking the following link and complete the online form by Wednesday, February 5, at:

https://tinyurl.com/CongressChoir2020

Several "first" rehearsals have been scheduled.  Choose from one of the following.

*Choose the one most convenient for, you:

*Los Angeles Area
Tuesday, February 11 at 7:30 p.m.
St Jerome Church
La Tijera exit at the 405 Fwy
5550 Thornburn St.
Los Angeles, CA  90045
Contact: John Flaherty, 310.338.2720

*San Diego rehearsal
Wednesday, February 11 at 6:30 P. M.
Home of Bob and Ginger Infantino
10866 Manacor Court
San Diego, CA 92124
Tierrasanta area, just off the I-15 or the 52.
Phone 858-256-9351 for information and directions

*Wednesday, February 12 at 6:00 p.m.
Franciscan Renewal Center
5802 East Lincoln Drive
Scottsdale, Arizona 85253-4124
Contact:  Norbert Zwickl
norbert at thecasa.org<mailto:norbert at thecasa.org>
480.948.7460 ext. 126 | Direct: 480.355.0346

*Bay Area Regional Rehearsal
Saturday, February 15, 2pm
Saint Augustine Catholic Church
3700 Callan Blvd, South San Francisco, CA
Contacts: Heidi Kelly-Tuason and Jennie Tolentino Malibiran
pianobyheidi at gmail.com<mailto:pianobyheidi at gmail.com>

*Inland Empire – Redlands/San Bernardino/Moreno Valley/Riverside
Tuesday, February 18 at 7:00 p.m.
The Holy Name of Jesus
115 West Olive Avenue
Redlands, CA 92373
Contact: Carlo Argoti
Email: cargoti at sbdiocese.org<mailto:cargoti at sbdiocese.org>

*Orange County
Tuesday, February 11 at 7:00 p.m.
San Antonio de Padua Catholic Church
5800 E Santa Ana Canyon Rd.
Anaheim, CA 92807
Contact: Ryan Clouse
email: ryanclousemusic at gmail.com<mailto:ryanclousemusic at gmail.com>

All living within a reasonable distance must attend this final rehearsal at:

Wednesday, February 19 at 7:30 p.m.
St. Linus Church
13913 Shoemaker Ave.,
Norwalk, CA 90650
Contact: Anna Betancourt
Email: Annalbetancourt at gmail.com<mailto:Annalbetancourt at gmail.com>

Should you have any questions, please contact John Flaherty at:
John.Flaherty at lmu.edu<mailto:John.Flaherty at lmu.edu>

Again, RSVP by Wednesday, February 5, to John Flaherty at:
https://tinyurl.com/CongressChoir2020

15.     Separated and Divorced Ministry in the Office of Family Life:  “Healing the Hearts of the Family” with Judy McCord, L.M.F.T., Thursday, February 6, in South Pasadena

Separated and Divorced Ministry in the Office of Family Life is sponsoring “Healing the Hearts of the Family,” a presentation by Judy McCord, L.M.F.T.  It will be held on Thursday, February 6, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., at Holy Family Parish in South Pasadena.  It will be held in the parish’s Cardinal Manning Room.  This event is free and open to the public; however, reservations are requested.  To make a reservation, or for more information, please contact Julie Monell Auzenne at 213-637-7249 or at:

jmonell at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:jmonell at la-archdiocese.org>

16.     Order of Malta and Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels:  Mass and Anointing of the Sick, Saturday, February 8, in Los Angeles

The Western Association of the Order of Malta, along with the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, is hosting a Mass and Anointing of the Sick on Saturday, February 8, at 12:30 p.m., at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles.  This celebration is being held in observance of the 2020 World Day of the Sick, which coincides with the feast day of Our Lady of Lourdes (February 11).  Archbishop José H. Gomez will preside at the Mass and Anointing.  Bishop Marc Trudeau will be the homilist.  The Mass is open to everyone.  All will join in praying for those suffering illness and their caregivers.  For more information, please contact Chuck Carroll at:

cecarroll at cbbank.com<mailto:cecarroll at cbbank.com>.

17.     Loyola Marymount University and Inward Bound Center for Nonprofit Leadership:  Free One-and-a-half Day Workshop, “Racism in America:  What is Mine to Do?” Saturday, February 8, and Sunday, February 9

Loyola Marymount University is hosting a free one-and-a-half-day workshop.  “Racism in America:  What is Mine to Do?” will be held on Saturday, February 8, from 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m., continuing on Sunday, February 9, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Endorsed by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and Bishop David O’Connell, this workshop is an engaging, fast moving format on what you can do, now, to move the needle on racism.  No history lesson, panel discussion, debating current events.  Be challenged and inspired to discover the gifts of race, and how you can do your part to dismantle racism.  What the workshop is not:  There’s no history of racism. We don’t debate current events, make long presentations or convince others of our point of view.  We don’t cover other issues including gender, socioeconomic status, or age.  Expected outcomes include:  Discern ‘What Is Mine To Do’ when it comes to racial healing and reconciliation.  Learn how to start and stay in conversations about race, and how to respond when racism appears.  Difficult topics will include:  There will be unfinished business. Race relations aren’t fixed in a workshop.  Particularly for white participants, how to manage shutting down, defensiveness and certitude when talking about racism.  Gifts to be received may include:  Looking in their past, participants decide what experiences, beliefs and assumptions will be brought forward, and what to leave behind.  Masterful facilitators ensure honesty and respect prevail.  Every workshop is co-led by a white coach and a coach of color.  The experience features cross-race conversations.  Online registration is available at:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/racism-in-america-workshop-in-la-feb-8-12-5pm-feb-9-830-am-430-pm-tickets-88424882203

Due to a generous grant, this workshop is free to participants; however, freewill donations will be gratefully accepted.

For questions, please contact Catherine Perry at 404-386-8434 or at:

cperry at inwardboundcenter.org<mailto:cperry at inwardboundcenter.org>

18.     St. Linus Parish in Norwalk:  Marian Shrines Pilgrimage, Monday, May 11, through Sunday, May 24, in Europe; Payment Due by Tuesday, February 11

Fr. Adrian San Juan, administrator of St. Linus Parish in Norwalk, will be the spiritual director for a Marian Shrines Pilgrimage which will take place from Monday, May 11, through Sunday, May 24, and will include Fatima, Portugal; Assisi, Italy; the Vatican; Santiago de Compostela in Spain; and Lourdes, France.  Cost (which includes air fare, land travel, and hotel accommodations) is $3,995 per person (double occupancy).  Final payment is due by Tuesday, February 11.  For more information, please contact Fr. San Juan at 626-991-3235 or at:

fradriansj at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:fradriansj at la-archdiocese.org>

19.     Office of Native American Concerns:  “Healing Together Through Story Telling,” Tuesday, February 18, in San Gabriel

The Office of Native American Concerns is sponsoring “Healing Together Through Story Telling” on Tuesday, February 18, from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., at San Gabriel Mission in San Gabriel.  It will be directed by Julia Bogany, Gabrieleno Tongva San Gabriel Band of Mission Indians; and they will be honored by the presence of Bishop David O’Connell.  This is a free event; drinks and snacks will be provided.  If you plan on attending, please respond to Sylvia Mendivil Salazar, Coordinator, at 626-755-9175 or at:

sylvia2018 at verizon.net<mailto:sylvia2018 at verizon.net>

20.     University Series Lenten Program and Our Lady of Grace Parish in Encino:  University Series Talks this Spring

Numerous parishes in various locations of the Archdiocese participate in the University Series Lenten Program, a series of adult education speakers addressing various topics of faith.  A new venue this year is Our Lady of Grace Parish in Encino.  Their events will be as follows:

Thursday March 26, 7:30 PM-9 PM
Topic: Is the Parable of the 'Prodigal Son' Really about Forgiveness?
Speaker: Fr. Benjamin Aguilar

Monday March 30, 7:30 PM - 9 PM
Topic: What should we really pray for?
Speaker: Fr. Tracy O'Sullivan

Thursday April 2, 7:30 PM - 9 PM
Topic: Prayer: One is not Enough
Speaker: Fr. Benjamin Aguilar

Events typically cost $8 to $10 per person per event.  A season pass is also available.

For ticket purchase and questions about the University Series Lenten Program, please contact:

www.theuniversityseries.org<http://www.theuniversityseries.org>
Office at theuniversityseries.org<mailto:Office at theuniversityseries.org>
(805) 496-0222

For questions about the events at Our Lady of Grace Parish in Encino, please contact Anisha Virgen at:

Anisha.Virgen at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:Anisha.Virgen at la-archdiocese.org>

21.     Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Abrahamic House Accepting Applications

Abrahamic House is a co-living, co-learning, and co-creating space.  It aims to create new spaces for interfaith education, exchange, and mobilization first here in Los Angeles, and eventually across the country.  The inaugural house was just secured in the Koreatown area of the City of Los Angeles.  Four fellows of four different religions (Muslim, Jewish, Christian, and Bahai; ages 21-35; female and male) live in the Abrahamic House together for 1-2 years.  They will plan 4-5 interfaith programs per month that fall under different categories (for example, a shared holiday experience, an educational panel on issues of shared concern, a social gathering, or something around volunteering/charity).  It will be about 6-8 hours of work per week, which is designed around the fellows' schedules.  Fellows receive a budget for this purpose.  In addition, fellows live rent-free and receive a small monthly stipend for food.  While applications have officially closed, Abrahamic House is still considering Catholic applicants who come specially recommended.  If interested, please contact Maia Ferdman at:

maia.ferdman at gmail.com<mailto:maia.ferdman at gmail.com>

The anticipated move-in date is March 2020.

For more information please visit the website at:

www.abrahamichouse.org<http://www.abrahamichouse.org>

or the Facebook page at:

https://m.facebook.com/abrahamichouse/

22.     Catholic Charities of Los Angeles:  Free Services for People who Have Already Applied for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Every Tuesday in Los Angeles

Catholic Charities of Los Angeles is offering free services each Tuesday, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., at its offices at 1530 James M. Wood Blvd. in Los Angeles (near the intersection of James M. Wood Blvd. and Union Ave.).  They are helping people who have already applied for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) in their work with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (U.S.C.I.S.).  Please note that U.S.C.I.S. will not accept any initial DACA applications, nor will they accept Advance Parole requests.  Catholic Charities of Los Angeles will pay the U.S.C.I.S. filing fee of $495.  People coming need to bring the following documents:

Employment Authorization Card
Social Security Card
California State Identification Card or Driver’s License
Copy of previous DACA application
Most recent approval notice (Notice of Action I-797)
Certified court disposition (if applicable)

Appointments are recommended.  To schedule an appointment, or for more information, please call Catholic Charities of Los Angeles at 213-251-3484.

23.     Greater South Bay Catholic Co-ed Adult Softball League:  Players Needed for 2020 Season with Games in Torrance

Greater South Bay Catholic Co-ed Adult Softball League seeks players for their 2020 season.  Games are held on Sunday afternoons from February through June in Torrance.  Singles and couples welcome.  For more information, please contact Fred Lawler at 714-369-9516 or at:

fredlawler at hotmail.com<mailto:fredlawler at hotmail.com>

24.     Get on the Bus Program:  Volunteers Needed

The “Get on the Bus” Program is a non-profit program that unites children with their mothers and fathers in prison in California.  It is part of the Center for Restorative Justice Works (CRJW).  All are invited to consider being a volunteer.  To learn more about the program and to sign up, please contact the regional coordinator for your area:

For Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, Lancaster, Ventura, and Santa Barbara, please contact:

Adriana Franco
Afranco at crjw.us<mailto:Afranco at crjw.us>
323-540-2233

For San Gabriel Valley and Long Beach, please contact:

Robert Martinez
rmartinez at crjw.us<mailto:rmartinez at crjw.us>
626-374-0794

For more information, please access:
https://crjw.us/programs/get-on-the-bus/

25.     Emmaus Spiritual Ministries in Orange:  Calendar of Events on Men’s Spirituality; and Enrichment for Spiritual Directors

Emmaus Spiritual Ministries, a ministry of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange, is sponsoring the following events.  All sessions will be held at St. Joseph Center at 434 S. Batavia St. in Orange:
“On the Road:  A Spirituality Series for Men,” is a multi-part series for men that will address various aspects of men’s spirituality.  Presenters will include:  Fr. Jim Clarke, Ph.D.; Fr. Brad Karelius; and Dr. Daniel Smith-Christopher.  They will be held on various Saturdays through February 1.  The sessions have already started and men are invited to all remaining sessions, or they may register for individual sessions.  Cost is $40 per session.  For more information, please access:

http://www.emmausspiritualministries.org/events/on-the-road-a-spirituality-series-for-men/

or call 714-744-3172.

The last installment of this series will be “Work, Money and Sex:  Is That All There Is?”  The presenter will be Fr. Jim Clarke, Ph.D.  It will be on Saturday, February 1, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.  Cost is $40 per person, and this workshop is open to men.

“The Sojourner’s Well:  Refreshment for Spiritual Directors” is a nine-part series of sessions for experienced spiritual directors.  The sessions will address three themes:  companioning a diverse community; spiritual directors engaging the creative spirit within; and companioning others to realizing the fullness of God’s love.  Sessions have already started, and people are invited to all remaining sessions, or they may register for individual sessions.  They will all be held on Saturdays, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., through Saturday, June 20.  Cost is $50 per session.  For more information, please access:

http://www.emmausspiritualministries.org/events/the-sojourners-well-refreshment-for-spiritual-directors-a-nine-session-series-2019-20/

or call 714-744-3172.

26.     St. Andrew’s Abbey in Valyermo:  Calendar of Events

Saint Andrew's Abbey, Valyermo, CA , has openings, or a waiting list,  for these upcoming preached retreats.  Please call 661-944-2178, or email the retreat office at:

retreats at valyermo.com<mailto:retreats at valyermo.com>

to make reservations or for more information.

The Abbey also takes reservations for private retreats. Usually openings are for Monday through Thursday nights at $85 per person per night. Please call or email the retreat house for availability.

www.saintandrewsabbey.com<http://www.saintandrewsabbey.com/>

2020 Preached Retreats<https://www.saintandrewsabbey.com/category_s/307.htm>

JANUARY<https://www.saintandrewsabbey.com/category_s/423.htm>
25 Beginning Again<https://beginningagain2020.eventzilla.net/web/event?eventid=2138740865>

FEBRUARY<https://www.saintandrewsabbey.com/category_s/424.htm>
25-28 Lenten Silent Retreat<https://lentensilentretreat2020.eventzilla.net/web/event?eventid=2138740927>

MARCH<https://www.saintandrewsabbey.com/category_s/425.htm>
23-27 Priests' Retreat: Walking in the Way of the Heart Through the Gospel of John<https://priestsretreat2020feb.eventzilla.net/>
29 Taller Cuaresmal en Español<https://tallercuaresmal2020.eventzilla.net/web/event?eventid=2138740921>

27.     Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes is offering the following events:
Drumming and Mindfulness: Stress Management for All             with Lucia Galante Johnson, MS FHD
Saturday, January 18, 10am to 4pm
Learn to reduce stress and find balance, using methods from the East to help you stay calm in the West. Practices will include drumming, meditation, stretching, and self-acupressure. You will leave the retreat with quick and easy methods to reduce stress in your daily life. Music, games, and play will be part of the program for an overall uplifting day for all ages!  Lucia is a professional drum facilitator.  She is also a Family and Human Dynamics Specialist with a Master’s degree in Human Development, a trained Social-Emotional Skills Educator through UCLArts and Healing Initiative, and a member of the UCLA Integrative Medicine group.    Cost: $50 Lunch included
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/1-18%20Drumming%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration
https://giving.ncsservices.org/App/Form/aee1596b-783a-4dd8-b44d-061d6d2d45f3
FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/440779553299275/

The Enneagram: A Delightful Journey of Discovery and Enlightenment with Susan McNary, PhD
Saturday, January 25, 9am to 4pm
Retreatants will learn the definitions of nine personality types and come to understand how each type focuses their attention in typical everyday life, in stressful situations and in times of personal growth. The enneagram is useful to those interested in personality styles, psychological development, spiritual growth and interpersonal relationships in general. Couples and families report that the enneagram has helped them understand and communicate more effectively with those they know and love. People in the helping professions find this depth and breadth of understanding enhances and deepens their effectiveness in helping others. Please join in this delightful journey of discovery and enlightenment. We will learn a lot and have fun doing so. Dr. McNary is a Psychologist who worked with primarily children and their families since 1973. She recently retired from private practice in Palos Verdes and is now studying and teaching the Enneagram which is her passion. Dr. McNary is a Licensed Psychologist, Psy 5364, with the California Board of Psychology. Cost: $50 Lunch included
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/1-25%20Enneagram%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration
https://giving.ncsservices.org/App/Form/7b4f8a04-6064-4fd1-a5c4-7749c0f06153
FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/1474387672710879/

Journey Through Grief with Sr. Laura Gormley, SSL
Saturday, January 25, 9am to 3pm
The loss of a beloved spouse, parent or other relative, or close friend sends us on a journey of grief. On this journey we struggle with our hopes and fears, our longings and expectations, as we learn to accept our new way of being and move forward with our lives. We will explore ways that may help us along this path. Sr. Laura is a Sister of St. Louis. She has been trained and involved for many years in hospice and bereavement ministry and in leading retreats and spiritual direction. Cost: $50 Lunch included
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/1-25%20Grief%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration
https://giving.ncsservices.org/App/Form/a80b0188-31f5-4f87-ad41-1c75f9870388
FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/556184301624317/

A Journey through World Beliefs with Misty Jesse, PhD, DMin, Director of Evangelization, St. John Fisher Church
Saturday, February 8, 9am to 4pm
In a global world, religious communities do not live in isolation from other religious communities. As seekers we are engaged in forging relationships with a diversity of religious life that permeates our cultural, social and political environment. This retreat provides an introduction to the world's major religions as they are practiced globally and will include the origins, teachings, devotional practices, institutions and cultural expressions of Hinduism, Buddhism, Native American, Judaism, Islam and Christianity. By gaining an understanding of these religions retreat participants will be able to identify similarities and differences of thought and practice helping them to develop skills necessary to engage in respectful and fruitful dialogue with other religions. Dr. Misty Jesse is the Director of Evangelization at St. John Fisher Church in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA. Her more recent educational credentials include: Chaplain Certification-American Chaplain Assoc.; Pastoral Care Certification - LMU; Catechist Certification, LA Archdiocese; PhD from Oxford Graduate School-American Center; DMin from Biblical Studies and Leadership, Master's International University of Divinity, IN. Cost: $50 Lunch included
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/2-8%20Journey%20Beliefs%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration
https://giving.ncsservices.org/App/Form/0862db07-c50b-4611-91cc-7f2f75a3a4cf
FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/2579679765420903/

Valentine’s Day Couples Dinner & Celebration with Rev. Jim Clarke, PhD, Director of Evangelization, LA Archdiocese
Friday, February 14,  5 to 9pm
Wouldn’t you love to spend an evening with your beloved to rekindle your love, revitalize your romance, and rejoice in the sacrament of your union? Celebrate your love this Valentine’s Day with a dinner by candlelight, the sharing of Eucharist, and a very special renewal of your marriage vows. Please bring a wedding photo and a symbol of your faith.  Reservations are required. Cost Per Couple: $120
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/2-14%20Valentine's%20Day%20tear.pdf
Click here for online registration
https://giving.ncsservices.org/App/Form/4bf3772a-1b24-4413-a269-01bf260c3c4b
FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/2225957117695637/

A Gift of Wonder with Christine Aroney-Sine, MD
Saturday, February 15, 10am to 4pm
Wonder is a beautiful gift from God. Awe-inspiring feelings can change our approach to life and to God. Yet most of us are awe-deprived. Listen, create, be inspired as we learn to re-wonder the world. Together, we will revitalize our relationship to our awe inspiring God. Join Christine, founder and facilitator for the popular contemplative blog godspacelight.com as she applies her unique skills to create new spiritual practices that draw us into greater intimacy with God. Bring your journal, your Bible and your imagination. Christine is a contemplative activist, medical practitioner, passionate gardener, author, and liturgist. Christine loves messing with spiritual traditions and inspiring followers of Jesus to develop creative approaches to spirituality that intertwine the sacred through all of life. She is the founder and facilitator for the popular contemplative blog godspacelight.com. Her most recent book is The Gift of Wonder: Creative Practices for Delighting in God. (IVP 2019) Cost: $50 Lunch included
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off:
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/2-15%20Gift%20of%20Wonder%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration:
https://giving.ncsservices.org/App/Form/69051429-b4ce-4d9d-90e9-bcc33faee4b6
FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/2065006123602227/

Let it Be ~ A 12 Step Retreat for Women with John McAndrew, MA, MDiv
7:00pm Friday, February 21 to 1:30pm Sunday, February 23, 2020
Join other women in recovery for a weekend of community and spiritual exploration as we consider how we develop emotional- and spiritual- sobriety utilizing the language of the heart. We'll look at how the 12 Steps help us to find balance and foster healthy relationships. Bring your Big Book- and a friend! John McAndrew is a counselor, musician, theologian, teacher, and poet in long-term recovery from the disease of addiction. Formerly Director of Spiritual Care at the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, he currently resides in Arroyo Grande, CA, offering spiritual counseling and coaching for individual clients, as well as providing  Spiritual Care for Hospice patients. www.sensiblespirituality.org<http://www.sensiblespirituality.org>    Cost per person/shared $250; single $350; commuter $160
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off:
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/2-21%20McAndrew%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration:
https://giving.ncsservices.org/App/Form/a20dad98-b4af-42e9-835b-2df43bfbbbc7
FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/555651751886422/

Ongoing Retreats & Events:

New! Prayer Sparks for Seniors  with Pat Rico
Second Thursday of each month, 9-11am
Prayer Sparks for Seniors is a two-hour period of time (retreat) dedicated to rejuvenating the spiritual life of each participant.  Come and spend time praying, sharing and opening your hearts to the Holy Spirit, who will enlighten our hearts in the love and devotion to the Church, the Holy Eucharist, and the Blessed Virgin Mary. Themes and topics will evolve around the three pillars just listed, and will include scripture readings, guided prayer moments and time for sharing and reflecting. The only requirement will be an openness to the Holy Spirit! Participants are encouraged to bring a Bible and a rosary. Pat Rico has been a Catholic educator and retreat leader for over 30 years. From this vast and varied experience of living in the Spirit, she has experienced and shared the Sparks of God's love with many diverse groups from young children, to teenagers, to adults and to Seniors. She brings her love of the Church, the Eucharist, and the Blessed Virgin Mary to every retreat. As a musician and cantor, she will lead you in prayer and in song to revive your spirit, your heart and your soul. Cost: $15 each session ~ Register by phone or mail
Printable pdf flier with Tear-offhttp://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/0%202020%20Prayer%20Sparks%20tear%20web.pdf
FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/732646807228737/
Centering Prayer Group
Greg Johnson & Herb Kaighan
Second & Fourth Wednesdays each month, 7:30-9pm
Centering Prayer is a relationship with God and a practice to foster that relationship. It is a movement beyond conversation to communion and union with God. It prepares us for the gift of contemplation. Centering Prayer is not meant to replace other kinds of prayer; rather it casts new light & depth of meaning on all types of prayer. Come and pray with us. Cost: Donation
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/2019%20Centering%20Prayer.pdf

Women’s Spiritual Friendship Circle
Second Saturday of each month through June 2020, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
Spiritual Friendship Circles (SFC) gather to assist one another in an ongoing awareness of God in all parts of life. Using group spiritual direction we meet to share our faith journey in a safe and sacred space led by a rotating team of spiritual directors.  Cost: Donation

28.     C.S.J. Center for Reconciliation and Justice at Loyola Marymount University:  “Justice and Spirituality on Screen” Series

The C.S.J. Center for Reconciliation and Justice at Loyola Marymount University invites you to the Justice and Spirituality on Screen series, a film series that engages questions of faith and culture through the lens of modern cinema.  Screenings are held on Tuesday nights, 7-9 p.m., at the L.M.U. Playa Vista Campus (12105 W. Waterfront Drive, Suite 200, Los Angeles) and are free and open to the public; RSVP is requested at:

https://lmuthisweek.lmu.edu/2019/08/23/justice-and-spirituality-on-screen/

February 4
Technology and the Human Imagination (clip night)
https://cal.lmu.edu/event/csjfilm200204

March 10
“Elysium”
https://cal.lmu.edu/event/csjfilm200310

April 7
“Big Hero 6”
https://cal.lmu.edu/event/csjfilm200407

For more information, contact the CSJ Center at 310-568-6694 or at:

https://academics.lmu.edu/csjcenter/

This information is brought to you as a service of the Operations Department of the Archdiocesan Catholic Center in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, California. If you would like to invite others to subscribe to the ACC Newsbriefs, please forward this issue to them and they can follow the directions below. The same direction is given to those who wish to unsubscribe.

Subscribing and unsubscribing can be done at:

Please send questions or submissions to:

Eileen E. O’Brien
213-637-7618<tel:213-637-7618>
EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org>

Please do not send questions or submissions by replying to the ACC Newsbriefs.