[Newsbriefs] ACC Newsbriefs - July 23, 2021

ADLA NewsBriefs newsbriefs at lists.la-archdiocese.org
Fri Jul 23 06:50:12 PDT 2021

ACC Newsbriefs – July 23, 2021

Welcome to ACC Newsbriefs from the Archdiocesan Catholic Center (ACC) in Los Angeles. This weekly update (issued each Friday) brings news about the latest ministries, resources, events, workshops, etc. of the ACC departments and other entities. For more general information, please check the Archdiocesan website at:

http://www.la-archdiocese.org<http://www.la-archdiocese.org/>

or at:

http://www.lacatholics.org

Lines in the headline section link to the items themselves.  Just click on the headline and it will take you to the requested item.

New This Week:

  1.       Prayer and Life Workshops:  Workshop Series on Prayer Begins Tuesday, July 27, in Whittier

  2.       Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

Important Information and Continuing Events:

  3.       LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality:  Faith and Ministry Formation Opportunities in English y Español

  4.       Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

  5.       Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose:  Zoom Discernment Retreat for Young, Single, Catholic Women, Saturday, August 7

  6.       Beginning Experience® and the Office of Marriage and Family Life:  “Beginning Experience Weekend” for Separated, Divorced, and Widowed, Friday, August 13, through Sunday, August 15, in Encino

  7.       Queen of Angels Foundation:  Ninth Annual Special Votive Mass to Honor the Feast of Our Lady of the Angels, “Many Peoples, One Mother,” Saturday, August 28, in Los Angeles

  8.       Mount Saint Mary’s University:  Spiritual Direction Certificate Program Begins in Fall 2021 Semester

  9.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Upcoming and Ongoing Events

10.       Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

11.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Marriage Preparation Zoom Sessions in English and Spanish

12.       Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services:  Paid Internships and Job Assistance Available

13.       Parishioners Federal Credit Union in Torrance:  Celebrating its 60th Year Serving Members of Catholic Institutions

14.       Native American Concerns:  “Birch Clump Chronicles” Magazine Available

15.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Spanish Workshops Online on Tuesdays and Saturdays

16.       Southern California Renewal Communities:  SCRC Free Virtual Event, "Charisms for Ordinary People" Available Any Time

New This Week:

1.         Prayer and Life Workshops:  Workshop Series on Prayer Begins Tuesday, July 27, in Whittier
Prayer and Life Workshops were started by Fr. Ignacio Larrañaga, O.F.M.Cap.  The next series of workshops will be held at St. Mary of the Assumption Church in Whittier, starting on Tuesday, July 27, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  They will continue on successive Tuesday evenings.  These free workshops aim to help people listen for God’s voice, use Scripture to deepen their relationship with God, and enhance their prayer life.  For more information, please contact Ms. Filomena Rombeiro at 562-715-0337 or at:

filomenarombeiro at gmail.com<mailto:filomenarombeiro at gmail.com>

2.         Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

The Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs invites all to the following events:

WEDNESDAY, JULY 28, 4 PM
The Guibord Center
Ahimsa and Nonviolence - An Interfaith Exploration of Racism
Please join the Guibord Center for a webinar entitled “Ahimsa and Nonviolence - An Interfaith Exploration of Racism” on Wednesday, July 28 from 4 pm - 5:30 pm PDT.
This webinar will look at ahimsa, the Hindu concept of recognizing all life as sacred and of doing no harm. How do we embrace ahimsa and other forms of nonviolence while confronting the harm of racism within and around us? Presenter Tahil Sharma, a Hindu and Sikh interfaith advocate, will explain more about this way of nonviolence and how it's lived out in daily life. He will then join a panel with Aziza Hasan, Dr. Najuma Smith-Pollard, and others to explore how people of all faiths might use these principles in fighting racism and hate and working toward a more just, compassionate world.  For more information and to register for this free webinar, please visit

theguibordcenter.org/event/ahimsa-and-nonviolence-an-interfaith-exploration-of-racism/<http://theguibordcenter.org/event/ahimsa-and-nonviolence-an-interfaith-exploration-of-racism/>

For questions, please contact Dr. Lois Sprague at drlosprague at theguibordcenter.org<mailto:drlosprague at theguibordcenter.org>.

THURSDAY, JULY 29, 8 AM
USCCB & CADEIO - Webinar Series - Part I
Ecumenical Dialogue on “Care For Our Common Home”

Please join the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), the Catholic Association of Diocesan Ecumenical and Interreligious Officers (CADEIO), and Catholic Climate Covenant for a 3-part webinar series on their Ecumenical & Interreligious Guidebook “Care For Our Common Home”.  On Thursday, July 29, 8 am - 9 am PDT, part one of the webinar series will be presented: An Ecumenical Dialogue on “Care For Our Common Home”.

For more information and to register for this free webinar, please visit:

creation.cadeio.org/events/care-for-our-common-home-ecumenical-dialogue/<http://creation.cadeio.org/events/care-for-our-common-home-ecumenical-dialogue/>

For questions, please contact careforcreation at cadeio.org<mailto:careforcreation at cadeio.org>.

Mark your calendar for Part II & III of the webinar series:
Wednesday, September 1, 8 am - An Interreligious Dialogue on “Care For Our Common Home”
Monday, October 4, 8 am - An Overview of the Ecumenical & Interreligious Guidebook “Care For Our Common Home”

THURSDAY, JULY 29, 2 PM
AMERICAN JEWISH UNIVERSITY
Judaism & Christianity - Shared & Differing Believes

Please join the American Jewish University (AJU) in Los Angeles for an online course entitled “Judaism & Christianity - Shared & Differing Believes” on Thursday, July 29 from 2 - 3 pm PDT.  AJU’s Rabbi Cheryl Peretz and Dr. David Jensen of the Austin Presbyterian Seminary will engage in an illuminating conversation about repentance, redemption and experiencing divinity in the world. Reflecting upon religion and theology, they will discuss sin, punishment, repentance and redemption in both religions, exploring sacred words, rituals and relationships with God.
The course fee is $18. For more information and to register for this Zoom class, please visit:

learning.aju.edu/event/shared-beliefs-differing-beliefs-between-judaism-and-christianity/<http://learning.aju.edu/event/shared-beliefs-differing-beliefs-between-judaism-and-christianity/>

For questions, please contact info at aju.edu<mailto:info at aju.edu>.

Important Information and Continuing Events:

3.         LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality: Faith and Ministry Formation Opportunities in English y Español

The Center sponsors certificate programs, courses, workshops and webinars for the public in spirituality, theology and pastoral ministry. El Centro patrocina programas certificados, cursos, talleres y seminarios para el público en espiritualidad, teología y pastoral.
Web: https://crs.lmu.edu
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/lmucrs

Online Course: Jesus Our Teacher for Ignatian Discernment
Classes begin Wednesday, September 8
The course is designed for those individuals who want to know Jesus more deeply and seek to have a greater integration of heart, body and mind with their faith, values, and daily choices.
More Info: https://registration.xenegrade.com/lmucrs/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=7140

Online Certificate Program: Parish Business Administration
Classes begin Saturday, September 18
This year-long program is designed for professionals, aspiring professionals, or volunteers with responsibility for the financial and temporal affairs of a parish.
More Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/pba

Hyrbid Certificate Program: Pastoral Care
Classes begin Thursday, November 18
This year-long program is designed for professionals and volunteers in direct service of those suffering, as well as those who feel called to pastoral care ministry.
More Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/pastoralcare

Online Workshop: "The Inner Journey: Finding the Treasure Within" with Rev. James Clarke
Wednesday, December 1, 7 p.m.
This four-part workshop will help participants to uncover some traditional ways of entering the interior sanctum of the soul. Each session will offer some input, stories, prayer forms and time for reflection and specific opportunities to do your own inner work.
More Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/the-inner-journey-workshop

Pilgrimage to Spain
May 13-22, 2022
The Center and the Loyola Institute for Spirituality invite you to mark this Ignatian Year, commemorating 500 years since the conversion of St. Ignatius of Loyola, by walking in the footsteps of St. Ignatius at the historic and sacred sites of Spain.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/journeys/spain/

Peregrinación a España
13-22 de mayo de 2022
El Centro y el Loyola Institute for Spirituality lo invitan a conmemorar los 500 años de la conversión de San Ignacio de Loyola, siguiendo las huellas de este santo en los lugares históricos y sagrados de España.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/espanol/programas/viajes/espana/

4.         Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City is sponsoring the following online events:

Virtual National Film Retreats — GRACED ENCOUNTERS.  July 26 through 30; and September 17 through 19.  These unique retreat experiences take participants on a journey through cinema to reflect together on our common human experience and the gift of encountering people as and where they are, as Pope Francis reflects in his 2021 World Communications Day message. With the practice of cinema divina, lectio divina with film, we enter into the reality of how we communicate with one another and God in view of respectful encounters.  There are two Film Retreats this year. The one in July is a week-long retreat (5 films) from July 26-30 by Zoom meeting each day at 5pm PT ($50) and the retreat in September is a weekend retreat (3 films) September 17-19 ($25). For more information and to register go to:

pauline.org/filmretreat<mailto:pauline.org/filmretreat>

or email:

snancy at paulinemedia.com<mailto:snancy at paulinemedia.com>

Advanced Certificate in Media Literacy and Faith Formation, August 1 through 7, Online.  This is an advanced course certified through the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in media literacy and is for teachers, catechists, ministers and anyone interested in connecting faith formation with our digital experience. It covers topics such as: Media Literacy: What is it?,  Faith Formation in a Digital Age, Theology of Popular Culture/Cultural Mysticism, Philosophies in the Media, Panorama of Church and Media, Praying the Media/Media Spirituality, Top 10: Media Mindfulness in Pop Music, Catholic Social Teaching in the Media, Virtues and Social Media, and more.  Participation includes daily Zoom meetings from 11:00am - 3:00pm PT as well as the creation and presentation of a Final Project. For information and registration go to:

pauline.org/certificate<http://pauline.org/certificate>

5.         Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose:  Zoom Discernment Retreat for Young, Single, Catholic Women, Saturday, August 7

The Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose invite single Catholic women (ages 18 to 40) who are interested in religious life to a Zoom discernment retreat.  It will be held on Saturday, August 7, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.  To register online, please access:

bit.ly/discernDominican

For more information, please contact Sr. Mary Yun, O.P., at:

mary at msjdominicans.org<mailto:mary at msjdominicans.org>

or at 213-760-3085.

6.         Beginning Experience® and the Office of Marriage and Family Life:  “Beginning Experience Weekend” for Separated, Divorced, and Widowed, Friday, August 13, through Sunday, August 15, in Encino

Beginning Experience(R) is an international lay ministry serving men and women who have experienced the loss of a spouse through death, divorce, or separation.  A “Beginning Experience Weekend" will be held from Friday, August 13, through Sunday, August 15, at Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino.  This structured program helps a person move from the darkness of grief into the light of a new beginning with renewed hope.  Beginning Experience(R) is recognized by the Office of Marriage and Family Life.  To register for the Weekend or obtain more information (including cost), please contact Maria (bilingual-Spanish) at 310-365-0186.  Questions can also be sent by email to:

beginningexp.losangeles at gmail.com<mailto:beginningexp.losangeles at gmail.com>

7.         Queen of Angels Foundation:  Ninth Annual Special Votive Mass to Honor the Feast of Our Lady of the Angels, “Many Peoples, One Mother,” Saturday, August 28, in Los Angeles

The Queen of Angels Foundation is sponsoring a Special Votive Mass in honor of the feast of Our Lady of the Angels, patroness of the Archdiocese.  Celebrating “Many Peoples, One Mother,” it will be held on Saturday, August 28, at 3:00 p.m., at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.  Abp. José H. Gomez will be the presider and homilist.  The Mass will be followed at 4:30 p.m. by a Holy Rosary Procession on the Cathedral Plaza, with the event ending at 5:15 p.m.  All are welcome to celebrate the founding of the City of Los Angeles, which occurred on September 4, 1781.  For any questions, please contact Mark Anchor Albert, chair of the Queen of Angels Foundation, at 323-422-8863 or at:

aalbert at thequeenofangels.com<mailto:aalbert at thequeenofangels.com>

8.         Mount Saint Mary’s University:  Spiritual Direction Certificate Program Begins in Fall 2021 Semester

The Department of Religious Studies at Mount Saint Mary’s University, in collaboration with the C.S.J. Institute and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (Los Angeles Province), is offering a three-year certificate program in spiritual direction.  Each year requires a one-day retreat; the entire program also requires 18 units.  Year I focuses on Foundations in Spiritual Direction; Year II focuses on Theory and Practice of Spiritual Direction; and Year III focuses on Integration and Practicum.  Cost is $2,000 per year, for a total of $6,000 for the program.  Those who are interested are asked to register promptly.  For more information, please contact Ms. Meghan Nevarez at 213-477-2676 or at:

mnevarez at msmu.edu<mailto:mnevarez at msmu.edu>

More information is also available on the “Spiritual Direction Certificate” tab at:

www.msmu.edu/rst<http://www.msmu.edu/rst>

9.         Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Upcoming and Ongoing Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes has updated its website.  Find it at:

www.maryjoseph.org<http://www.maryjoseph.org>

Bring Your Own Group on Retreat in 2021.  Mary and Joseph Retreat Center is now taking reservations to host groups.  Call to reserve their facilities and customize retreat time to fit your needs.  The Center are following local directives for health and safety, and numbers will be limited to allow for social distancing.  The Center has availability for groups to hold both day and overnight retreats.  Please call to find out more about their new guidelines and reserve a time for your retreat.  For information and reservations, contact Sydne Yanko-Jongbloed, at 310.377.4867, x258 or at:

sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org<mailto:sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org>

They are also sponsoring the following events:

Quarterly Series: 3rd of Four Workshops on Emotional Sobriety ~ Emotional Sobriety and the 12 Core Principles
Dr. Allen Berger, PhD, Clinical Psychologist & Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, July 24, 2021 9:00am to 1:00 pm    Remote Via Zoom (PST)
Who should attend?  ALL who are interested in improving the quality of their life; especially those in any 12 Step Fellowship.
Dr. Berger and Herb K. will unpack 12 Core Principles of Emotional Sobriety that sustain personal growth. This powerful experience will give each participant an opportunity to look at the current quality of life from a fresh perspective and have a new experience. Transformation creates a new attitude and experience towards ourselves, others and Reality. This workshop creates a template for emotional growth helping us: discern and manifest our true self; identify our internal obstacles to joy by practicing these Principles; live with balance, humility and vitality; be the determining force in our own lives and a positive force in our community. Honestly ask yourself: What are the sources of the symptoms of my current suffering?; Do I have a quality life?; Do I have balance?; Do I have a sense of personal value, purpose and meaning? Attendees will experience a process for: Identifying the obstacles to quality living; Holding on to yourself, regaining your balance after you have lost it, discover the path to authentic freedom and happiness; Fostering your life, having personal freedom and VIBRANT relationships.
Cost: $45 per workshop  Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
For registration questions, call José at (310) 377-4867 ext 250 or email him at jsalas at maryjoseph.org<mailto:jsalas at maryjoseph.org> ~ For questions on content, email Tania at tania.herbk at gmail.com<mailto:tania.herbk at gmail.com>
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/3rd-quarterly-emotional-sobriety-and-the-12-core-principles/>

Sold out ~ waitlist only! Call 310.377.4867 to be added to the waitlist.
8 Day Silent Directed Retreat: Jesus is Our Hope
Spiritual Directors: Sr. Pascazia Kinkuhaire, DMJ; Fr. Joseph Miller, SVD; Sue Ballotti
6:00pm Sunday, August 1 to 1:30pm, Sunday, August 8, 2021
Jesus is Our Hope - is this year’s theme for our annual 8-Day Guided/Directed Retreat. This traditional, silent retreat is based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. It provides time for spiritual reflection, solitude & prayer, inviting retreatants to be attentive to the inner movements of the Holy Spirit. Prayer focuses on scripture and one’s personal faith journey. Our schedule includes a Scripture-based conference each morning, individual direction (a daily meeting with a retreat director), celebration of daily Eucharist, and an optional evening activity: Labyrinth walk, Reconciliation service, and Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. It is suggested that participants bring a journal.  Sr. Pascazia Kinkuhaire, DMJ is a Daughter of Mary and Joseph of Ugandan Origin. She specialized in Social Ministry in Mission and is a Spiritual Director. She has served in her Order as a Teacher, Social Worker, Formator and in Leadership on the Africa Province level. Sue Ballotti is a spiritual director, retreat facilitator and a docent for labyrinth walks at MJRC. She is a Master Catechist for the Los Angeles Archdiocese and a past director of RCIA at St. Margaret Mary in Lomita. Father Joe Miller, SVD, works in Spiritual Formation, retreat ministry, hospital chaplaincy and Mission Animation.
Cost: $820 per person; single rooms only.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/8-day-silent-guided-directed-retreat/>

Part 8 of the Path to Personal Freedom: 12 Steps Intentional Conscience
Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, August 7, 2021  10:00 to 11:30 AM  Via Zoom (PST)
Step Ten: Achieving and Fostering Emotional Sobriety | Conscience  -  Practice of Personal Inventory: “Spot check” inventory – the formula for serenity; Emotional Sobriety – the approach and benefits of self-regulation.
Herb’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship since 1984 and the publication of three books on spiritual awakening. A practitioner of Centering Prayer since 1990, Herb also facilitates a gathering (ZOOM) for Centering Prayer on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month. ALL are welcome to join in this experience. This 12 Step Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
Donation: $10   Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/part-8-of-the-path-to-personal-freedom-12-steps-intentional-conscience/>

Part 12 of the Spirituality Series with Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Resentments Col 4; Identify Motives ~ Experience Freedom
Experience “Turnaround from Victim to Personal Responsibility
Saturday, August 14, 2021 10:00am to 1:00pm  Remote Via Zoom (PST)
Step Four: Moral Inventory ~ Resentment: Identifying Remaining Obstacles to Power. Why do we hold it? What are our operating motives (corrupt)? How do I misrepresent myself? How do I avoid responsibility? Taking 100% responsibility for our perceptions, feelings and our behavior. Herb K’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, 37 years of active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship and the publication of 3 books on spiritual awakening. The Spirituality Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
Donation: $25  Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/resentments-col-4-identify-motives-experience-freedom/>

This Is The Life: Finding Grace in Each Moment
Rev. Terry Hershey
6:00pm Friday, August 27 to 1:30pm Sunday, August 29.
Before we trade in this life for the life we “should” have, let us taste This Life--meaning the invitation to honor the dignity that is reflected by God’s goodness and grace. We are wired to pause: to embrace the sacrament of the present; to see, hear, taste and touch grace, and the sacred in our world. So, before we trade in our life for the life we “should” have, let us taste This Life. What makes your heart come alive today? Here's our invitation: Today, let us embrace epiphanies. Let us appreciate a willingness to be surprised. Let us relish the sacred in the ordinary.
Terry Hershey is an author, ordained minister, humorist, and inspirational speaker. He divides his time between designing sanctuary gardens and sharing his practice of “pausing” and “sanctuary,” to help us do less and live more. Terry’s book, Sanctuary: creating places for grace in your life, offers the permission to slow down and to be gentle with ourselves.
Cost: per person/shared $250; single $350; commuter $160
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/this-is-the-life-with-rev-terry-hershey/>

Part 9 of the Path to Personal Freedom: 12 Steps
Intentional Consciousness
Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, September 11, 2021  10:00 to 11:30 AM  Via Zoom (PST)
Step Eleven: A Practical Approach to Improving Conscious Contact | Consciousness  -  Practice of Meditation: Prayer; Meditation;
Contemplation; Intentional Consciousness. Herb K’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, 37 years of active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship & publication of 3 books on spiritual awakening. The Spirituality Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center.
Donation: $10   Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/part-9-of-the-path-to-personal-freedom-12-steps-intentional-consciousness/>

Part 13 of the Spirituality Series with Herb Kaighan
Forgiveness: A Decision to Release
Fred Luskin, PhD & Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, September 25, 2021 10:00am to 1:00pm  Remote Via Zoom (PST)
Bill Wilson (cofounder of AA) discusses forgiveness - he calls it “letting go of resentment”. It’s not done to please others, but in the interest of freedom - theirs and ours. A life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness. Learn about the process of forgiveness, what it is and what it is not and how to release resentment. “A forgiving person has no past ~ an unforgiving person has no future” Herb Kaighan, 2016.
Fred Luskin, PhD, is the director of the Stanford University Forgiveness Projects, a senior consultant in health promotion at Stanford University, and a professor at the Institute for Transpersonal Psychology, as well as an affiliate faculty member of the Greater Good Science Center. He is the author of “Forgive for Good: A Proven Prescription for Health and Happiness” and also “Stress Free for Good: Ten Proven Life Skills for Health and Happiness”, with Kenneth Pelletier, PhD. Learn more at www.learningtoforgive.com<http://www.learningtoforgive.com>
Herb K’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, 37 years of active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship and the publication of 3 books on spiritual awakening. The Spirituality Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
Donation: $25  Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/forgiveness-a-decision-to-release-2/>

Sacred Expressions: Sacred Geometry Art & Meditation
Laurie Wallace
Saturday, October 9, 2021  9:00am to Noon
This creative workshop will introduce basic concepts of Sacred Geometry using art techniques to enhance art-making as meditation.  Sacred Geometry is an ancient science that explores our relationship to natural universal patterns and geometric shapes which unify our world.  Together we will create works of art/meditation based on the mandala, the spiral and the golden ratio.  All materials, handouts and supplies will be provided.  No previous art experience is required. Laurie Wallace is a Deacon wife, parish volunteer, co-facilitator of a woman’s prayer group, graphic designer, ceramicist and has taught art to children and the elderly.
Cost: $40 per person (all materials included)
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/sacred-geometry-art-meditation/>

Ongoing Programs Via Zoom:

Centering Prayer Group
Centering Prayer is a practice to foster our relationship with God.  It is a movement beyond conversation to communion with God.  Come and pray with us.  The Mary and Joseph Retreat Center Centering Prayer group will meet on Zoom on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays each month from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).  Contact Herb Kaighan to register.  Donation.  He is at:

herbk12 at hotmail.com<mailto:herbk12 at hotmail.com>

Gratefulness Gathering with Christine Sanchirico
3rd Thursday of each month in 2021 via Zoom 4-5:30 PM (PST)
Experience, deepen, and share the power of living gratefully.  Gratefulness Gatherings are an opportunity to cultivate a space where we can explore grateful living as an orientation to life.  All are welcome to join our monthly Gratefulness Gatherings online via Zoom. We will meet on the 3rd Thursday each from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Pacific Time). Contact Christine Sanchirico for more information and to register at csanchirico at maryjoseph.org<mailto:csanchirico at maryjoseph.org>. Cost: Donation

For more information about any of these events, please call 310-377-4867 or access:

http://www/maryjoseph.org

10.       Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

The Center for Spiritual Development in Orange is offering the following events:

“On the Road: A Spirituality Series for Men” is back with new programs for 2021.  The theme for this year’s series—by men and for men—is friendship.  In conversations with men, a common thread appeared:  a yearning for deeper friendships among men coupled with difficulties in sustaining meaningful friendships.  This series is offered to assist men in developing, deepening, rekindling, and mourning male friendships.  Steve Bruce, a longtime member of the adjunct faculty of the Center for Spiritual Development’s Art of Spiritual Direction Program, will serve as host for the workshops.  Fee:  See individual prices below.  Men are invited to one, some, or all of the sessions.  To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at 714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>

https://bit.ly/3pwCriX

“Sex, Love and Intimacy: A New Look at an Enticing Topic”

Saturday, October 2.  9am-4pm; In person at CSD
Presented by: Fr. Jim Clarke, PhD and Joe Lonergan, MDiv

Fee: $60; includes lunch
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/2YpRJdt

“Ritual and Storytelling as a New Way of Healing and Transformation”

Saturday, October 30.  9am-4pm; In person at CSD
Presented by: Fr. Jim Clarke, PhD, and Joe Lonergan, MDiv

Fee: $60; includes lunch
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at:
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/3tcfS5d

11.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Marriage Preparation Zoom Sessions in English and Spanish

The Office of Marriage and Family Life is offering a one-day Marriage Preparation Zoom session in English and Spanish.  This is for engaged couples and convalidation couples.  Cost is $100 per couple, and registration is required.  Once the registration process is complete, the Zoom link will be sent.

For English sessions, please contact Candy Metoyer at 213-637-7250 or at:
cmetoyer at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:cmetoyer at la-archdiocese.org>

For English, the dates are:

July 24, 31
August 7, 14, 21*, 28
September 11, 18, 25*
October 2, 9*, 16, 23
November 6, 13*, 20
December 4, 11*

* For convalidation couples only

La Oficina de Matrimonio y  Familia ofrece sesiones Virtuales de Preparación Matrimonial para parejas comprometidas y parejas de convalidación. El costo de registración es de $100 por pareja. Para registrarse por favor comuníquese con: Graciela Villalobos 213-637-7561

gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org>.

Preparación Matrimonial en Español, Sesiones a través de Zoom

Julio 25, 31
Agosto 7, 14, 22, 28
Septiembre 11, 18, 26
Octubre 2, 9, 17, 23, 30
Noviembre 6, 13, 21
Diciembre 4, 11

12.       Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services:  Paid Internships and Job Assistance Available

Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services (AYE) of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc., has hundreds of paid internships; and provides job placement, career counseling, and training opportunities through its America’s  Job Center of California (AJCC) and its Los Angeles City YouthSource Centers.  Please visit their website for their locations:

www.ayela.org<http://www.ayela.org>

13.       Parishioners Federal Credit Union in Torrance:  Celebrating its 60th Year Serving Members of Catholic Institutions

Parishioners Federal Credit Union was started in 1961 by Msgr. James Augustine O’Gorman of St. James Church in Redondo Beach to serve members of the community.  In 60 years it has grown to be the largest Catholic-affiliated credit union in the State of California.  Membership is open to all parishioners in the San Pedro Pastoral Region; all teachers at archdiocesan and parish schools; and employees at other select Catholic organizations (Catholic Charities of Los Angeles; Archdiocesan Catholic Center; and Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries).  They offer checking accounts, savings accounts, home mortgages, loans for new and used cars, and much more.  More information about Parishioners Federal Credit Union is available at:

http://www.ParishionersFCU.org

14.       Native American Concerns:  “Birch Clump Chronicles” Magazine Available

Native American Concerns is publicizing “Birch Clump Chronicles,” an Indigenous Ministry magazine with issues on cultural and religious rights of Native People.  Two recent issues are November 2020’s issue on racism, “Remember Us:  Reflections from Native Voices”; and March 2021’s issue, “Sacred Relations:  Honoring and Protecting Mother Earth.”  Read online for free, or purchase each issue for $2 at:

https://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/1943420?__r=20368

15.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Spanish Workshops Online on Tuesdays and Saturdays

El Ministerio para viudos, viudas y personas que han perdido un ser querido de la Oficina de Matrimonio y Familia los Invita todos los Martes y Sábados a sus Grupos de apoyo virtuales.
Ministerio para personas en Duelo. Reuniones a través de Zoom
Martes    7:00 – 9:00 P.M.
Sábados  2:00 – 4:00  P.M

Para más información comuníquese con:

Bertha Renteria 323 – 404-0325   brenteria at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:brenteria at la-archdiocese.org>
Graciela Villalobos 213-637-7561 gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org>

16.       Southern California Renewal Communities:  SCRC Free Virtual Event, "Charisms for Ordinary People" Available Any Time

SCRC Virtual Event, "Charisms for Ordinary People," now available to view online anytime for free.  The event includes teachings by Fr. Bob Hogan, BBD, "Charisms in Daily Living"; Kay Murdy, "Daily Living in the Spirit"; Fr. Bill Delaney, S.J., "Charisms and Community".  Testimonies by: Catherine Smith, I.H.M. and Jackie Macabuhay.  Register for free at:
https://events.scrc.org/

This information is brought to you as a service of the Operations Department of the Archdiocesan Catholic Center in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, California.  If you would like to invite others to subscribe to the ACC Newsbriefs, please forward this issue to them and they can follow the directions below.  The same direction is given to those who wish to unsubscribe.

Subscribing and unsubscribing can be done at:

Please send questions or submissions to:

Eileen E. O’Brien
213-637-7618<tel:213-637-7618>
EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org>

Please do not send questions or submissions by replying to the ACC Newsbriefs.