[Newsbriefs] FW: ACC Newsbriefs - June 4, 2021

ADLA NewsBriefs newsbriefs at lists.la-archdiocese.org
Fri Jun 4 06:45:16 PDT 2021

Given the current health situation, which is changing rapidly, please contact the venue or sponsoring agency to see if in-person events you are interested in are still happening.

ACC Newsbriefs – June 4, 2021

Welcome to ACC Newsbriefs from the Archdiocesan Catholic Center (ACC) in Los Angeles. This weekly update (issued each Friday) brings news about the latest ministries, resources, events, workshops, etc. of the ACC departments and other entities. For more general information, please check the Archdiocesan website at:

http://www.la-archdiocese.org<http://www.la-archdiocese.org/>

or at:

http://www.lacatholics.org

Lines in the headline section link to the items themselves.  Just click on the headline and it will take you to the requested item.

New This Week:

  1.       Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of New Events

  2.       Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries:  Community Outreach Free Online Seminars, “My Father’s House:  What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective,” Various Dates in June

  3.       St. Andrew’s Abbey in Valyermo:  “Discernment in Daily Life,” Retreat at the Abbey with Fr. Francis Benedict, O.S.B., Wednesday, June 23, through Friday, June 25

 4.       Southern California Renewal Communities:  SCRC Free Virtual Event, "Charisms for Ordinary People" Available Any Time

Important Information and Continuing Events:

  5.       St. Andrew’s Abbey in Valyermo:  Upcoming Online Retreat; and Modified Reopening on Monday, June 14, with Health Guidelines in Place

  6.       World Apostolate of Our Lady of Fatima:  Rosary in Honor of 104th Second Month Apparition of Our Lady of Fatima, Sunday, June 13, Online

  7.       Diaconate Formation Office:  Diaconate Virtual Information Day, Sunday, June 27

  8.       LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality:  Faith and Ministry Formation Opportunities in English y Español

  9.       Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

10.       Mount Saint Mary’s University:  Spiritual Direction Certificate Program Begins in Fall 2021 Semester

11.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Marriage Preparation Zoom Sessions in English and Spanish

12.       Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

13.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Upcoming and Ongoing Events

14.       Jubilate Tours:  Musical Pilgrimage to the Shrines of Mexico, Saturday, January 8, through Friday, January 14, 2022, with Bp. Joseph Brennan and Ms. Anna Betancourt

15.       Parishioners Federal Credit Union in Torrance:  Celebrating its 60th Year Serving Members of Catholic Institutions

16.       Native American Concerns:  “Birch Clump Chronicles” Magazine Available

17.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Spanish Workshops Online on Tuesdays and Saturdays

18.       Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services in Catholic Charities of Los Angeles:  Job Training Programs Available

19.       Catholic Charities of Los Angeles:  Free Immigration Legal Services during COVID-19

New This Week:

1.         Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of New Events

The Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs invites all to these upcoming events:

TUESDAY, JUNE 8, NOON

American Jewish University

The Jerusalem Declaration: Scholars Respond to Antisemitism

Please join the American Jewish University for a free webinar entitled "The Jerusalem Declaration: Scholars Respond to Antisemitism" on Tuesday, June 8 at noon.

The definition of antisemitism according to the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance has been widely adopted. It has also been criticized by some for being overly broad in its use and because it might have the potential to censor legitimate criticism of Israel. In 2021, a group of two hundred scholars released the Jerusalem Declaration on Antisemitism as a corrective to what they believe are flaws in the IHRA definition.
Join the scholars behind the declaration, professors Elissa Bemporad and Derek Penslar, in conversation with AJU’s Prof. Michael Berenbaum, to discuss this global endeavor and its resonance.

For more information and to register for this free webinar, please visit
learning.aju.edu/event/the-jerusalem-declaration-scholars-respond-to-antisemitism/<http://learning.aju.edu/event/the-jerusalem-declaration-scholars-respond-to-antisemitism/>

For questions, please contact byachadtogether at aju.edu<mailto:byachadtogether at aju.edu>

TUESDAY, JUNE 8, 7:00 – 8:30 PM

Southern California Christian Forum

Virtual Ecumenical Bible Study

Please join the Southern California Christian Forum (SCCF) for its next Virtual Ecumenical Bible Study on Tuesday, June 8, 7:00 - 8:30 pm. The text for the evening will be 1st Corinthians 12:1-27. The study will be led by Rev. Sally Welch, an ordained minister within the Disciples of Christ Church. All are welcome!

The bible study will be conducted via Zoom. To register, please contact SCCF administrative assistant Joey Baker at contact at socalforum.net<mailto:contact at socalforum.net>. Zoom instructions will be sent after registration.

For questions, please contact Rt. Rev. Alexei Smith, President of the SCCF and Ecumenical & Interreligious Officer of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, at FrARSmith at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:FrARSmith at la-archdiocese.org>.

SUNDAY, JUNE 13, 4 - 5:15 PM

Interfaith Solidarity Network

The Musical Message of Faith

Please join the Interfaith Solidarity Network for an uplifting and inspiring online Interfaith Program entitled "The Musical Message of Faith" celebrating the role of music in worship on Sunday, June 13 at 4 pm.

Before humanity could form the written word, our hearts and minds created then and continue to create today ‘new’ music that gives voice and feeling to our faith, music that expresses our individuality and at the same time brings us together.

To register for this free Zoom event, please visit https://tinyurl.com/ISNmusic

For more information on the Interfaith Solidarity Network, please visit  interfaithsolidaritynetwork.org<http://interfaithsolidaritynetwork.org>

For questions, please email contact at interfaithsolidaritynetwork.org<mailto:contact at interfaithsolidaritynetwork.org>

FRIDAY, JUNE 18, 7 PM
Orthodox and Catholics Together, Orange County
IN-PERSON Annual Ecumenical Service of Prayer for Christian Unity

Please join Orthodox and Catholics Together of Orange County for its 14th Annual Ecumenical Service of Prayer for Christian Unity, bringing together Roman & Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Christians on Friday, June 18 at 7 pm at Holy Cross Melkite Catholic Church, 451 W. Madison Ave, Placentia, CA 92870. Reception to follow. This event is free.

The service will include prayer for victims of the Pandemic. Featured homilist is Rt. Rev. Alexei Smith, Ecumenical & Interreligious Officer of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.

For more information on Orthodox and Catholics Together, Orange County, please visit www.octoc.org<http://www.octoc.org>

For questions, please contact Irma Contreras irmacon777 at gmail.com<mailto:irmacon777 at gmail.com>

2.         Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries:  Community Outreach Free Online Seminars, “My Father’s House:  What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective,” Various Dates in June

If you’ve ever wondered what will happen when a loved one dies or how to plan for your own passing, then do not miss this informative, free online seminar:  “My Father’s House: What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective.”  Presented by Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries, all are invited and welcome.  The seminar will be offered as follows:

English:  Wednesday, June 16, at 7:00 p.m. OR Saturday, June 19, at 10:00 a.m.

Spanish:  Thursday, June 17, at 7:00 p.m. OR Saturday, June 19, at 12:00 noon

Each talk will last about 45 minutes, with a question-and-answer session to follow.  There is no charge, but pre-registration is required.  Please register at:

http://www.catholiccm.org/webinars.

For more information, please contact:

outreach at catholiccm.org<mailto:outreach at catholiccm.org>

or call 213-637-7810.

3.         St. Andrew’s Abbey in Valyermo:  “Discernment in Daily Life,” Retreat at the Abbey with Fr. Francis Benedict, O.S.B., Wednesday, June 23, through Friday, June 25

St. Andrew’s Abbey in Valyermo is conducting an on-site retreat, “Discernment in Daily Life,” from Wednesday, June 23, at 7:00 p.m., to Friday, June 25, at 10:00 a.m.  It will be led by Fr. Francis Benedict, O.S.B.  Discernment is an essential theme in the spiritual life.  As we progress through our life, we constantly need to make practical decisions within the context of our values.  These values are founded on our belief system, our culture, our understanding of and relationship with God.  St. Benedict in his Rule is concerned that monks (actually all of us) often make decisions based on self-will or personal preference rather than on the will of God.  God intends our good.  God's will calls us to become our 'best' self for the good of others.  Pursuing the will of God is a way of pursuing the best in life and the best in ourselves as well.  This retreat will explore discernment as an ongoing process of spiritual growth toward maturity in the Spirit.  Cost is $220 per person for a single room.  There is a non-refundable $85 deposit required at registration.  For more information and registration, please access:

https://events.eventzilla.net/e/discernment-in-daily-life-2021-2138809050?mc_cid=d16e746180&mc_eid=e59ec20c1d

The Abbey’s Retreat Office is available at 661-944-2178 and at:

retreats at valyermo.com<mailto:retreats at valyermo.com>

4.         Southern California Renewal Communities:  SCRC Free Virtual Event, "Charisms for Ordinary People" Available Any Time

SCRC Virtual Event, "Charisms for Ordinary People," now available to view online anytime for free.  The event includes teachings by Fr. Bob Hogan, BBD, "Charisms in Daily Living"; Kay Murdy, "Daily Living in the Spirit"; Fr. Bill Delaney, S.J., "Charisms and Community".  Testimonies by: Catherine Smith, I.H.M. and Jackie Macabuhay.  Register for free at:

https://events.scrc.org/

Important Information and Continuing Events:

5.         St. Andrew’s Abbey in Valyermo:  Upcoming Online Retreat; and Modified Reopening on Monday, June 14, with Health Guidelines in Place

St. Andrew’s Abbey in Valyermo is holding the following online retreat:

Fr. Aelred Niespolo, O.S.B., will lead a retreat, “Caring for Our Common Home,” from Friday, June 4, through Sunday, June 6.  The This workshop will center on the issues and implications of ecological and climate change.  It will look at the biblical basis for the commission given to us by a loving God that we are to care for the earth, reflecting on the correct and proper relationship between humanity as caretaker to the rest of creation.  In addition to scripture, participants will be asked to read Pope Francis' encyclical Laudato Si' before the retreat.  Conferences and time for personal private reflection are part of this workshop.  Cost is $150 for the retreat.  For the retreat and recordings of the session, the cost is $180.  For more information and registration,  please access:

https://events.eventzilla.net/e/caring-for-our-common-home-via-zoom-2021-2138808866?mc_cid=07f4c51e9e&mc_eid=e59ec20c1d

The Abbey has announced its modified reopening, which will be on Monday, June 14, after being closed for over a year due to the pandemic and the effects of the Bobcat Fire.  Health guidelines will be in place.  See the details at:

https://saintandrewsabbey.com/pages/abbey-news

6.         World Apostolate of Our Lady of Fatima:  Rosary in Honor of 104th Second Month Apparition of Our Lady of Fatima, Sunday, June 13, Online

All are invited to join the World Apostolate of Our Lady of Fatima (Blue Army) to celebrate the 104th Second Month Apparition of Our Lady of Fatima with a rosary.  It will be held online on Sunday, June 13, at 5:00 p.m.  Join the livestreaming at:

tinyurl.com/bluearmyla/live

On Zoom, use Meeting ID:  872 4164 5247
Passcode:  104Fatima

For more information, please access:

www. bluearmyla.org

or email:

bluearmyla at gmail.com<mailto:bluearmyla at gmail.com>

7.         Diaconate Formation Office:  Diaconate Virtual Information Day, Sunday, June 27

The Diaconate Formation Office is hosting a Diaconate Virtual Information Day on Sunday, June 27, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Men who are interested in the permanent diaconate are invited to participate to learn more about the permanent diaconate and its formation program.  Information will be available in English and Spanish.  To register, please send your name, your parish’s name, and your pastor’s name to Dn. Melecio Zamora at:

dmz2011 at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:dmz2011 at la-archdiocese.org>

8.         LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality: Faith and Ministry Formation Opportunities in English y Español

The Center sponsors certificate programs, courses, workshops and webinars for the public in spirituality, theology and pastoral ministry. El Centro patrocina programas certificados, cursos, talleres y seminarios para el público en espiritualidad, teología y pastoral.
Web: https://crs.lmu.edu
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/lmucrs

Online Class: “Biblical Narratives for Dismantling Racism” with Juan Escarfuller, M.Div.
Wednesdays in June, 6:30-8 p.m.
This class engages Biblical texts and the history of their interpretations on slavery and race to explore ways people today can work for a common good in an increasingly polarized society.
Late enrollment available: https://registration.xenegrade.com/lmucrs/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=7117
Cost: $80

Lograr un grado universitario: Mantener el Camino de LMU
Próxima sesión de información: jueves, 17 de junio, 6:30 p.m.
Prepárese para ofrecer un servicio en la Iglesia logrando su título académico. Mantener el Camino es un programa de mentoring diseñado para acompañar a ministros pastorales hispanos de la Arquidiócesis de Los Ángeles en su jornada hacia la meta de obtener su título de asociado en un colegio comunitario.
Más información: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/mantener-el-camino-info-session

Online Lecture: "Racism and Youth and Young Adult Ministry" by Dr. Ansel Augustine
Saturday, July 18, 3:30 p.m.
More Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/ansel-augustine-lecture
Cost: Free

Pilgrimage to Spain
May 13-22, 2022
The Center and the Loyola Institute for Spirituality invite you to mark this Ignatian Year, commemorating 500 years since the conversion of St. Ignatius of Loyola, by walking in the footsteps of St. Ignatius at the historic and sacred sites of Spain.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/journeys/spain/

Peregrinación a España
13-22 de mayo de 2022
El Centro y el Loyola Institute for Spirituality lo invitan a conmemorar los 500 años de la conversión de San Ignacio de Loyola, siguiendo las huellas de este santo en los lugares históricos y sagrados de España.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/espanol/programas/viajes/espana/

9.         Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City is sponsoring the following online events:

Virtual National Film Retreats — GRACED ENCOUNTERS.  July 26 through 30; and September 17 through 19.  These unique retreat experiences take participants on a journey through cinema to reflect together on our common human experience and the gift of encountering people as and where they are, as Pope Francis reflects in his 2021 World Communications Day message. With the practice of cinema divina, lectio divina with film, we enter into the reality of how we communicate with one another and God in view of respectful encounters.  There are two Film Retreats this year. The one in July is a week-long retreat (5 films) from July 26-30 by Zoom meeting each day at 5pm PT ($50) and the retreat in September is a weekend retreat (3 films) September 17-19 ($25). For more information and to register go to:

pauline.org/filmretreat<mailto:pauline.org/filmretreat>

or email:

snancy at paulinemedia.com<mailto:snancy at paulinemedia.com>

Advanced Certificate in Media Literacy and Faith Formation, August 1 through 7, Online.  This is an advanced course certified through the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in media literacy is for teachers, catechists, ministers and anyone interested in connecting faith formation with our digital experience. It covers topics such as: Media Literacy: What is it?,  Faith Formation in a Digital Age, Theology of Popular Culture/Cultural Mysticism, Philosophies in the Media, Panorama of Church and Media, Praying the Media/Media Spirituality, Top 10: Media Mindfulness in Pop Music, Catholic Social Teaching in the Media, Virtues and Social Media, and more.  Participation includes daily Zoom meetings from 11:00am - 3:00pm PT as well as the creation and presentation of a Final Project. For information and registration go to:

pauline.org/certificate<http://pauline.org/certificate>

10.       Mount Saint Mary’s University:  Spiritual Direction Certificate Program Begins in Fall 2021 Semester

The Department of Religious Studies at Mount Saint Mary’s University, in collaboration with the C.S.J. Institute and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (Los Angeles Province), is offering a three-year certificate program in spiritual direction.  Each year requires a one-day retreat; the entire program also requires 18 units.  Year I focuses on Foundations in Spiritual Direction; Year II focuses on Theory and Practice of Spiritual Direction; and Year III focuses on Integration and Practicum.  Cost is $2,000 per year, for a total of $6,000 for the program.  Those who are interested are asked to register promptly.  For more information, please contact Ms. Meghan Nevarez at 213-477-2676 or at:

mnevarez at msmu.edu<mailto:mnevarez at msmu.edu>

More information is also available on the “Spiritual Direction Certificate” tab at:

www.msmu.edu/rst<http://www.msmu.edu/rst>

11.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Marriage Preparation Zoom Sessions in English and Spanish

The Office of Marriage and Family Life is offering a one-day Marriage Preparation Zoom session in English and Spanish.  This is for engaged couples and convalidation couples.  Cost is $100 per couple, and registration is required.  Once the registration process is complete, the Zoom link will be sent.

For English sessions, please contact Candy Metoyer at 213-637-7250 or at:
cmetoyer at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:cmetoyer at la-archdiocese.org>

For English, the dates are:

June 19, 26
July 10, 17*, 24, 31
August 7, 14, 21*, 28
September 11, 18, 25*
October 2, 9*, 16, 23
November 6, 13*, 20
December 4, 11*

* For convalidation couples only

La Oficina de Matrimonio y  Familia ofrece sesiones Virtuales de Preparación Matrimonial para parejas comprometidas y parejas de convalidación. El costo de registración es de $100 por pareja. Para registrarse por favor comuníquese con: Graciela Villalobos 213-637-7561

gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org>.

Preparación Matrimonial en Español, Sesiones a través de Zoom

Junio 26-27
Julio 10, 17, 25, 31
Agosto 7, 14, 22, 28
Septiembre 11, 18, 26
Octubre 2, 9, 17, 23, 30
Noviembre 6, 13, 21
Diciembre 4, 11

12.       Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

The Center for Spiritual Development in Orange is offering the following events:

“Praise to the Trinity” - An Online Retreat with  St. Hildegard - Saturday June 5, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., via Zoom.  Fee: $40.  Sr. Karin Nürnberg, CSJ.  “Praise to the Trinity, which is sound and life and creatrix of all beings…” Join us for a time of retreat a few days after the Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity.  Using the wisdom of Hildegard of Bingen, we will ponder the mystery of the Trinity and will prepare to receive it in our hearts.  To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at 714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/3vv2iL6

The Sojourner’s Well:  Refreshment for Spiritual Directors - “Healing our Images of God”- Saturday, June 19, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., via Zoom.  Fee: $50.  Sr. Christine Hilliard, CSJ.  In our world there is a thriving advertising industry based on the power of images (verbal and visual) that both form and inform our lives.  Decisions about not only what to buy, but also how we see ourselves and what choices we make figure into the power of these advertising images.  Just as powerfully, our image of God touches our core with a variety of implications.  Negative images of God cause harm – personally and in our world.  Identifying and healing these negative images is vital to the spiritual journey.  This session will explore how to identify these images as well as how we might participate in their healing whether they are ours or our directees’.  For Spiritual Directors only.  To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at 714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>

https://bit.ly/3uromF7

“On the Road: A Spirituality Series for Men” is back with new programs for 2021.  The theme for this year’s series—by men and for men—is friendship.  In conversations with men, a common thread appeared:  a yearning for deeper friendships among men coupled with difficulties in sustaining meaningful friendships.  This series is offered to assist men in developing, deepening, rekindling, and mourning male friendships.  Steve Bruce, a longtime member of the adjunct faculty of the Center for Spiritual Development’s Art of Spiritual Direction Program, will serve as host for the workshops.  Fee:  See individual prices below.  Men are invited to one, some, or all of the sessions.  To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at 714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>

https://bit.ly/3pwCriX

“Sex, Love and Intimacy: A New Look at an Enticing Topic”

Saturday, October 2.  9am-4pm; In person at CSD
Presented by: Fr. Jim Clarke, PhD and Joe Lonergan, MDiv

Fee: $60; includes lunch
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/2YpRJdt

“Ritual and Storytelling as a New Way of Healing and Transformation”

Saturday, October 30.  9am-4pm; In person at CSD
Presented by: Fr. Jim Clarke, PhD, and Joe Lonergan, MDiv

Fee: $60; includes lunch
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at:
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/3tcfS5d

13.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Upcoming and Ongoing Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes has updated its website.  Find it at:

www.maryjoseph.org<http://www.maryjoseph.org>

Bring Your Own Group on Retreat in 2021.  Mary and Joseph Retreat Center is now taking reservations to host groups.  Call to reserve their facilities and customize retreat time to fit your needs.  The Center are following local directives for health and safety, and numbers will be limited to allow for social distancing.  The Center has availability for groups to hold both day and overnight retreats.  Please call to find out more about their new guidelines and reserve a time for your retreat.  For information and reservations, contact Sydne Yanko-Jongbloed, at 310.377.4867, x258 or at:

sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org<mailto:sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org>

They are also sponsoring the following events:

Part 10 of the Spirituality Series
Happiness: Enjoying the Journey As the Destination
Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, June 5, 2021 10:00am to 1:00pm  Remote Via Zoom (PST)
Herb will discuss achieving & sustaining emotional balance and spiritual vitality. The path of improving consciousness and enlarging compassion produces happiness. “We keep our heads in the clouds and our feet firmly planted on the earth” (BB page 130). Happiness is not a product: it is a by-product! Human beings have an intrinsic need to have meaning through connecting to a value larger than themselves. Human beings create a life of purpose through the actions of serving others. This is now not just common sense, historical experience, good philosophy, or eloquent poetry. It is confirmed by the hard evidence of the science of HAPPINESS. When we have a meaningful connection beyond ourselves and live a life of actually helping others - we find personal HAPPINESS!  The Spirituality Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
Donation: $25   Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/happiness-enjoying-the-journey-as-the-destination/>

Part 6 of the Path to Personal Freedom: 12 Steps
Transparency & Transformation
Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, June 19, 2021  10:00 to 11:30 AM  Via Zoom (PST)
Steps Five, Six and Seven: Removing Our Obstacles to Power | Rite of Passage - Process of Accepting Responsibility
• Revealing all of our Step Four to someone
• Identifying and removing the obstacles in us to our relationship with Power
This 12 Step Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
Donation: $10   Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/part-6-of-the-path-to-personal-freedom-12-steps-transparency-transformation/>

5-Day Silent, Directed Retreat
6:00pm Sunday, June 13 to 1:30pm Friday, June 18.
Spiritual Directors: Sr. Pascazia Kinkuhaire, DMJ; Fr. Joseph Miller, SVD; Sue Ballotti
Come join us on a special Silent Retreat that will give you time to commune with yourself and with your God. In the busyness of daily life, it is essential to find time to listen deeply to our own inner world and to discern God’s voice inviting us to intimacy. This retreat offers a unique, contemplative opportunity to commune with God in the solitude of our hearts. An experienced Spiritual Director will accompany you through these five days as you seek to discover the subtle movement of the Holy Spirit within you. Come deepen your relationship with God which will be enhanced by solitude, nature and a labyrinth walk. Sr. Pascazia Kinkuhaire, DMJ is a Daughter of Mary and Joseph of Ugandan Origin.  Sue Ballotti is a spiritual director, retreat facilitator and a docent for labyrinth walks at MJRC. She is a Master Catechist for the Los Angeles Archdiocese. Father Joe Miller, SVD, works in Spiritual Formation, retreat ministry, hospital chaplaincy and Mission Animation.
Cost: single room $600; Commuter $425
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/5-day-silent-directed-retreat/>

8 Day Silent Directed Retreat: Jesus is Our Hope
Spiritual Directors: Sr. Pascazia Kinkuhaire, DMJ; Fr. Joseph Miller, SVD; Sue Ballotti
6:00pm Sunday, August 1 to 1:30pm, Sunday, August 8, 2021
Jesus is Our Hope - is this year’s theme for our annual 8-Day Guided/Directed Retreat. This traditional, silent retreat is based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. It provides time for spiritual reflection, solitude & prayer, inviting retreatants to be attentive to the inner movements of the Holy Spirit. Prayer focuses on scripture and one’s personal faith journey. Our schedule includes a Scripture-based conference each morning, individual direction (a daily meeting with a retreat director), celebration of daily Eucharist, and an optional evening activity: Labyrinth walk, Reconciliation service, and Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. It is suggested that participants bring a journal.  Sr. Pascazia Kinkuhaire, DMJ is a Daughter of Mary and Joseph of Ugandan Origin. She specialized in Social Ministry in Mission and is a Spiritual Director. She has served in her Order as a Teacher, Social Worker, Formator and in Leadership on the Africa Province level. Sue Ballotti is a spiritual director, retreat facilitator and a docent for labyrinth walks at MJRC. She is a Master Catechist for the Los Angeles Archdiocese and a past director of RCIA at St. Margaret Mary in Lomita. Father Joe Miller, SVD, works in Spiritual Formation, retreat ministry, hospital chaplaincy and Mission Animation.
Cost: $820 per person; single rooms only   *Limited to 14 guests only ~ Please register by Friday, July 9.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/8-day-silent-guided-directed-retreat/>

Ongoing Programs Via Zoom:

Centering Prayer Group
Centering Prayer is a practice to foster our relationship with God.  It is a movement beyond conversation to communion with God.  Come and pray with us.  The Mary and Joseph Retreat Center Centering Prayer group will meet on Zoom on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays each month from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).  Contact Herb Kaighan to register.  Donation.  He is at:

herbk12 at hotmail.com<mailto:herbk12 at hotmail.com>

Gratefulness Gathering with Christine Sanchirico
3rd Thursday of each month in 2021 via Zoom 4-5:30 PM (PST)
Experience, deepen, and share the power of living gratefully.  Gratefulness Gatherings are an opportunity to cultivate a space where we can explore grateful living as an orientation to life.  All are welcome to join our monthly Gratefulness Gatherings online via Zoom. We will meet on the 3rd Thursday each from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Pacific Time). Contact Christine Sanchirico for more information and to register at csanchirico at maryjoseph.org<mailto:csanchirico at maryjoseph.org>. Cost: Donation

For more information about any of these events, please call 310-377-4867 or access:

http://www/maryjoseph.org

14.       Jubilate Tours:  Musical Pilgrimage to the Shrines of Mexico, Saturday, January 8, through Friday, January 14, 2022, with Bp. Joseph Brennan and Ms. Anna Betancourt

Ms. Anna Betancourt, musician and artist with OCP (formerly Oregon Catholic Press); and Bp. Joseph Brennan, bishop of the Diocese of Fresno, will lead a musical pilgrimage to the shrines of Mexico from Saturday, January 8, through Friday, January 14, 2022.  Both singers and non-singers are welcome.  Among other activities, the pilgrimage will include a visit the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City; a guided tour of Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine and Tepeyac Hill; and a visit to the tomb of the martyred Fr. Miguel Agustin Pro, S.J.  Cost for airfare and tour is $2,688 per person traveling alone.  For double occupancy, cost for airfare and tour is $2,129 per person.  Land-only packages are also available.  Full payment is due by October 1, 2021.  For more information and reservations, please access:

https://bit.ly/32gQi2I

More information is also available from Jubilate Tours at 719-641-6510.

info at jubilate.me<mailto:info at jubilate.me>

http://www.jubilate.me

15.       Parishioners Federal Credit Union in Torrance:  Celebrating its 60th Year Serving Members of Catholic Institutions

Parishioners Federal Credit Union was started in 1961 by Msgr. James Augustine O’Gorman of St. James Church in Redondo Beach to serve members of the community.  In 60 years it has grown to be the largest Catholic-affiliated credit union in the State of California.  Membership is open to all parishioners in the San Pedro Pastoral Region; all teachers at archdiocesan and parish schools; and employees at other select Catholic organizations (Catholic Charities of Los Angeles; Archdiocesan Catholic Center; and Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries).  They offer checking accounts, savings accounts, home mortgages, loans for new and used cars, and much more.  More information about Parishioners Federal Credit Union is available at:

http://www.ParishionersFCU.org

16.       Native American Concerns:  “Birch Clump Chronicles” Magazine Available

Native American Concerns is publicizing “Birch Clump Chronicles,” an Indigenous Ministry magazine with issues on cultural and religious rights of Native People.  Two recent issues are November 2020’s issue on racism, “Remember Us:  Reflections from Native Voices”; and March 2021’s issue, “Sacred Relations:  Honoring and Protecting Mother Earth.  Read online for free, or purchase each issue for $2 at:

https://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/1943420?__r=20368

17.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Spanish Workshops Online on Tuesdays and Saturdays

El Ministerio para viudos, viudas y personas que han perdido un ser querido de la Oficina de Matrimonio y Familia los Invita todos los Martes y Sábados a sus Grupos de apoyo virtuales.
Ministerio para personas en Duelo. Reuniones a través de Zoom
Martes    7:00 – 9:00 P.M.
Sábados  2:00 – 4:00  P.M

Para más información comuníquese con:

Bertha Renteria 323 – 404-0325   brenteria at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:brenteria at la-archdiocese.org>
Graciela Villalobos 213-637-7561 gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org>

18.       Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services in Catholic Charities of Los Angeles:  Job Training Programs Available

Archdiocesan Youth Employment (AYE) Services operates job training programs under LA County America’s Job Centers of California (AJCCs) and LA City YouthSource Centers.  AJCCs serve both youth and adults and provides job training and education services with specialized vocational schools.  In addition, the LA City YouthSource Center provides services for youth, 17-24 years of age.  Both the AJCCs and YouthSource Centers offer vocational training  and paid internships currently with hundreds of openings.  Please visit:

https://ayela.org/contact-us

or call 213-736-5456 for the location  nearest to you.

19.       Catholic Charities of Los Angeles:  Free Immigration Legal Services during COVID-19
Catholic Charities of Los Angeles is providing free immigration legal services by phone, email, postal mail, and drop-off services.  Services include free legal consultations by Department of Justice-accredited immigration counselors, free Citizenship application services, free online Citizenship classes, free DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) application renewal services, and more.  Please call the main office at 213-251-3411 to make a phone appointment.  For more information, please access:

https://catholiccharitiesla.org/irr-immigration-and-refugee-services/

Catholic Charities of Los Angeles is also providing free, in-person immigration consultations for all of their legal services.  The consultations are provided on a walk-in basis, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., at their office located at 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA  90015.  It is near the intersection of James M. Wood Blvd. (that section was formerly W. 9th St.) and Union Ave.

This information is brought to you as a service of the Operations Department of the Archdiocesan Catholic Center in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, California.  If you would like to invite others to subscribe to the ACC Newsbriefs, please forward this issue to them and they can follow the directions below.  The same direction is given to those who wish to unsubscribe.

Subscribing and unsubscribing can be done at:

Please send questions or submissions to:

Eileen E. O’Brien
213-637-7618<tel:213-637-7618>
EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org>

Please do not send questions or submissions by replying to the ACC Newsbriefs.