[Newsbriefs] ACC Newsbriefs - November 19, 2021

ADLA NewsBriefs newsbriefs at lists.la-archdiocese.org
Fri Nov 19 06:12:24 PST 2021

ACC Newsbriefs – November 19, 2021

Welcome to ACC Newsbriefs from the Archdiocesan Catholic Center (ACC) in Los Angeles. This weekly update (issued each Friday) brings news about the latest ministries, resources, events, workshops, etc. of the ACC departments and other entities. For more general information, please check the Archdiocesan website at:

http://www.la-archdiocese.org<http://www.la-archdiocese.org/>

or at:

http://www.lacatholics.org

Lines in the headline section link to the items themselves.  Just click on the headline and it will take you to the requested item.

New This Week:

  1.       Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of New Events

  2.       Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City:  Calendar of New Events

  3.       Pauline Books and Media in  Culver City:  Calendar of New Events

  4.       Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries:  Community Outreach Free Online Seminars, “My Father’s House:  What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective, Various Dates in December

  5.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of New Events

  6.       St. Camillus Center for Pastoral Care in Los Angeles:  Pilgrimage to Ireland, “Walking in the Path of the Irish Saints,” with Fr. Chris Ponnet and Professor Dennis Doyle, July 31 through August 12, 2022

Important Information and Continuing Events:

  7.       Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

  8.       Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

  9.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Marriage Preparation Zoom Sessions in English and Spanish

10.       Retrovaille:  Upcoming Weekend Experiences to Help Troubled Marriages

11.       LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality:  Faith and Ministry Formation Opportunities in English y Español

12.       Los Angeles Retreat Center Community:  New Event Calendar Available

13.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Upcoming and Ongoing Events

14.       Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

15.       Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles:  Paid Internships and Other Job Services Available

16.       California Laudato Si Accepting New Participants

New This Week:

1.         Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of New Events

The Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs invites all to the following events:

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 25, 10 AM
ECUMENICAL THEOLOGICAL RESEARCH FRATERNITY IN ISRAEL
2021-2022 Lecture Series

Please join The Ecumenical Theological Research Fraternity in Israel for this year's first online lecture in the series "Recent Scholarship in Jewish-Christian Dialogue" on Thursday, November 25 at 10 am PST.

The lecture is entitled “We are ALL not Alone” and it will bring to the audience a current dialogue between two Jewish friends about how Jews should relate to non-Jews in general and Christians in particular. The lecture will be given by Professor Menahem Kellner (Chair of the Philosophy and Jewish Thought Department at Shalem College) and the response by Professor Raphael Jospe (Professor for Jewish Philosophy, ret. from Ariel University).

For more information, please visit
www.etrfi.org/2021-2022-series.html<http://www.etrfi.org/2021-2022-series.html>

To register for this free webinar, please visit
zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwkdequqTwrHdOeQPeAPBvHfa8aWYr86lWc<http://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwkdequqTwrHdOeQPeAPBvHfa8aWYr86lWc>

For questions, please email ecu_frat at netvision.net.il<mailto:ecu_frat at netvision.net.il>.

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 1, 7:30 PM
VIOLINS OF HOPE
Opening Night Concert (IN PERSON)

Please join Violins of Hope Los Angeles for its Opening Night Concert on Wednesday, December 1 at 7:30 pm at Theatre Raymond Kabbaz, 10361 W Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064.

Using a collection of violins, violas and cellos rescued from the Holocaust, Etienne Gara, Founder and Artistic Director of the LA-based chamber orchestra Delirium Musicum, will perform a program rooted in the traditions passed on by the great masters, to build a future filled with hope and resilience. The program will include pieces by John Williams, Johannes Brahms, Philip Glass, as well as an homage to Fiddler on the Roof.

General admission is $50, VIP tickets (including a pre-concert reception) are $100. Ticket purchases are tax deductible and proceeds benefit Violins of Hope’s mission to educate the public about the Holocaust through music and culture.

For more information and to purchase tickets, please visit
violinsofhope.eventive.org/schedule/615c79f098be1a007dc75731<http://violinsofhope.eventive.org/schedule/615c79f098be1a007dc75731>
Proof of vaccination and masks are required.

For questions, please contact Susanne Reyto at susanne at violinsofhopelosangeles.net<mailto:susanne at violinsofhopelosangeles.net>.

2.         Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City:  Calendar of New Events

Pauline Center for Media Studies in Culver City invites all to the following events:

Advent Virtual Cinema Divina Retreat, Friday, December 3, through Sunday December 5
Want to enter into the Advent season through reflection on film? This virtual cinema divina retreat is on Friday, December 3, through Sunday, December 5, at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time daily by Zoom. The theme is "Family Above All" including the films CODA (2021), Noel (2004), The Preacher's Wife (1996).  The films are watched on one's own through streaming platforms and the cinema divina is by Zoom. $25 for the retreat. Register at:

bemediamindful.org/cinemadivina<http://bemediamindful.org/cinemadivina>

Monthly Virtual Cinema Divina Nights - starting in 2022
Starting in 2022 we will meet by Zoom every 2nd Saturday at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time for the cinema divina process of films that reflect the Scriptures and life's dilemmas. January 8th - The Courier (2021); February 12th - 15:17 to Paris (2018); March 12th - Force Majeure (2014).  Watch the film prior to the gathering by Zoom. $10 a movie night. Register just one month ahead at:

bemediamindful.org/cinemadivina<http://bemediamindful.org/cinemadivina>

3.         Pauline Books and Media in  Culver City:  Calendar of New Events

Pauline Books and Media in Culver City invites all to the following events:

Baby Jesus Birthday Party – Saturday, December 4
Teach children the true meaning of Christmas with an in-person birthday party for Baby Jesus, Saturday, December 4, from 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m., at Pauline Books and Media, 3908 Sepulveda Blvd, Culver City. Take your pictures with Baby Jesus, meet St. Nicholas and receive a special gift, enjoy storytime, coloring and activities as well as homemade Birthday Cupcakes made by the Sisters!  Activities will be out on the patio. For more info call: 310-397-8676 or contact:

culvercity at paulinemedia.com<mailto:culvercity at paulinemedia.com>

God is with Us Virtual Concert with the Daughters of St Paul Choir – Sunday, December 12
Don't miss this one-of-a-kind virtual concert with the Sisters sharing their voices and the true meaning of Christmas!  Premiering on the Daughters of St Paul YouTube channel on Sunday, December 12, at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time.  Gather friends and family for an enjoyable evening of song, joy, and celebration as we prepare to receive the gift of Jesus into our hearts and homes at Christmas!  Sign up to receive updates at:

pauline.org/virtualconcert<http://pauline.org/virtualconcert>

4.         Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries:  Community Outreach Free Online Seminars, “My Father’s House:  What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective, Various Dates in December

All are welcome to attend.  If you’ve ever wondered what will happen when a loved one dies or how to plan for your own passing, then don’t miss this informative, free online seminar:  “My Father’s House: What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective.”  Presented by Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries, the seminar will be offered as follows:

Saturday, December 11, at 10:00 a.m. OR Tuesday, December 14, at 7:00 p.m. in English.

Saturday, December 11, at 1:00 p.m. OR Thursday, December 16, at 7:00 p.m. in Spanish.

Each talk will last about 45 minutes, with a question and answer session to follow. There is no charge, but pre-registration is required. Please register at:

http://www.catholiccm.org/webinars.

For more information, please contact:

outreach at catholiccm.org<mailto:outreach at catholiccm.org>

or call 213-637-7810.

5.         Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of New Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes invites people to the following events:

Part 16 of the Spirituality Series:  Sponsorship/ Helping Others: Enlarging Compassion
Fr. Tom Weston, SJ & Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, December 4, 2021 10:00am to 1:00pm  Via Zoom (PST)
Learn about Sponsorship ~ what does a sponsor do? What is the role of a sponsor? Through working the Steps as contained in the Big Book, with the guidance of a sponsor or “Step Guide”, you will experience a profound spiritual awakening. Then we are invited to carry this message to others, of recovery through a spiritual awakening. The path of improving consciousness and enlarging compassion produces optimal living. Human beings create a life of purpose through the actions of helping others. When we have a meaningful connection beyond ourselves and live a life of contribution - we find personal happiness and a useful life. Fr. Tom Weston, SJ has been involved with people in Twelve Step Programs since 1976. A former Director of the Jesuit Volunteer Corps and a teacher, he has degrees in counseling, education, and theology. He lectures, counsels, and conducts workshops and seminars internationally. For more info go to https://www.innerlightproductions.net. Herb K’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, 37 years of active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship and the publication of 3 books on spiritual awakening. The Spirituality Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
Donation: $25  Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/sponsorship-helping-others-enlarging-compassion/>

Part 12 of the Path to Personal Freedom: 12 Steps ~ Practice Intentional Living ~ Spiritual Sobriety
Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, December 11, 2021  10:00 to 11:30 AM  Via Zoom (PST)
Our Way of Life: Living in the 4th Dimension: Our Commitment; Our Accountability! Herb’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship since 1984 and the publication of three books on spiritual awakening. A practitioner of Centering Prayer since 1990, Herb also facilitates a gathering (ZOOM) for Centering Prayer on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month. ALL are welcome to join in this experience. This 12 Step Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
Donation: $10   Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/part-12-of-the-path-to-personal-freedom-12-steps-practice-intentional-living-spiritual-sobriety/>

Quarterly Series: Part Five on Emotional Sobriety ~ Our Way of Life: Optimal Living & Personal Happiness
Dr. Allen Berger, PhD, Clinical Psychologist & Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, January 29,2022 9:00am to 1:00 pm  Via Zoom (PST)
Who should attend? ALL who are interested in improving the quality of their life by reducing suffering and increasing joy!
Dr. Berger and Herb K. will discuss a solution not only to addiction but for dealing with our human condition - unmanageability. Carl Jung had suggested “The Spirit is the antidote to spirits” = optimal living and personal happiness. Bill Wilson states in the Big Book “…our way of living has its advantages for All.” This workshop will be a deep dive into the application of tools for optimal living. We will discuss emotional balance, a purposeful life, and personal fulfillment. Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Direction (37 years sober) Through working the steps as contained in the Big Book Herb experienced a profound spiritual awakening. He will discuss the impact of the Process & Principles for walking this path, practicing emotional sobriety to develop emotional maturity and a practice of daily intentional consciousness. Allen Berger, PhD, Clinical Psychologist (50 years clean & sober) Dr. Berger will discuss mental health concepts like emotional dependency, self-esteem, independence, interdependence & manifesting our true self. www.abphd.com<http://www.abphd.com>
Cost: $45 per workshop   Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event. For registration questions, call José at (310) 377-4867 ext 250 or email him at jsalas at maryjoseph.org<mailto:jsalas at maryjoseph.org>  For questions on content, email Tania at tania.herbk at gmail.com<mailto:tania.herbk at gmail.com>
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/5th-quarterly-our-way-of-life-optimal-living-personal-happiness/>
A Weekend Retreat for Women In Recovery: Recovering Connections: Step 2
John McAndrew, MA, MDiv
6:00pm Friday, February 11 to 1:30pm Sunday, February 13, 2022
After this long disruption of our relationships and connections, we’re looking forward to returning to the sacred grounds of Mary and Joseph Retreat Center for this Women’s Weekend- all Fellowships welcome! Join other women in recovery as we look to the principles of recovery to guide us as in this new world of possibilities. Bring your Big Book- and a friend! John McAndrew is a counselor, musician, theologian, teacher, and poet in long-term recovery from the disease of addiction. Formerly Director of Spiritual Care at the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, he currently resides in Arroyo Grande, California, offering spiritual counseling and coaching for individual clients, as well as providing Spiritual Care for Hospice patients. Find more about John’s ministry at www.sensiblespirituality.org<http://www.sensiblespirituality.org>
Cost: per person/shared $250; single $350; commuter $160
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/a-weekend-retreat-for-women-in-recovery/>

6.         St. Camillus Center for Pastoral Care in Los Angeles:  Pilgrimage to Ireland, “Walking in the Path of the Irish Saints,” with Fr. Chris Ponnet and Professor Dennis Doyle, July 31 through August 12, 2022

Fr. Chris Ponnet and Professor Dennis Doyle will lead a pilgrimage to Ireland from July 31 through August 12, 2022.  Per-person cost (including air fare and land tour) is $4,599 if double occupancy.  Single occupancy is an additional $745 (for people traveling alone or if no roommate is available).  Deposit due by February 1, 2022.  This tour is being arranged by Catholic Travel Centre.  For more information, please contact Catholic Travel Centre at 800-553-5233 or at:
http://www.GoCatholicTravel.com
Please reference tour number 22-022-0731.

Important Information and Continuing Events:

7.         Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

The Center for Spiritual Development in Orange is sponsoring the following events:

Abiding in Twilight: A Three-Part Advent Interlude.  Series description:  The season of Advent offers a promise that light will prevail over darkness, and that hope, joy, and love are just over the horizon. During the hustle and bustle of the season, come join us for an interlude of prayer, reflection, conversation, and community as we wait in anticipation for the Dayspring of Christmas to arrive. You may sign up for individual sessions or for the entire three-part series.

Part 1 Waiting in Hope-Wednesday, December 1
Advent has only just begun, yet the world around us is already embracing Christmas. Let us resist the temptation to race through Advent and instead follow the invitation to slow down and try to hold the tension of waiting. How we wait makes all the difference. Ours is a waiting filled with hope in what–and who–is to come.
10-11:30am, PST, via Zoom
Fee: $15 for the individual session or $40 for the 3-part series
Sr. Karin Nürnberg, CSJ, and Julie Mussché
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
Link for series: https://bit.ly/3n2Okyi
Link for Session 1 only: https://bit.ly/3DeMCQc

Part 2 He Slumbers Not, Nor Sleeps – Wed. December 8
10-11:30am, PST, via Zoom
Fee: $15 for the individual session or $40 for the 3-part series
Julie Mussché and Sr. Karin Nürnberg, CSJ
The prophets of the Old Testament emerged during times of division, transition and exile. Their voices reverberate into our time and circumstance enveloping this Advent season with surety and promise of mercy, justice and peace. Our time together will include brief input, reflection with imagery and word, conversation and prayer.
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
Link for Part 2: https://bit.ly/3F7nKu5

Part 3 The Call to Prepare the Way of the Lord – Wed. December 15
10-11:30am, PST, via Zoom
Fee: $15 for the individual session or $40 for the 3-part series
Sr. Karen Clock, CSJ
On the Third Sunday of Advent, the theme is focused on John the Baptist and preparing the way of the Lord. You are invited on this Advent retreat not only to prepare yourselves for the coming of Jesus on a deeper and more personal level, but also to reflect and pray with John the Baptist on the call to prepare the way of Lord for others and the world.
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
Link for Part 3: https://bit.ly/30bktuw

8.         Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 4 PM
INTERFAITH SOLIDARITY NETWORK
Annual Interfaith Thanksgiving Service
Please join the Interfaith Solidarity Network for its Annual Interfaith Thanksgiving Service, held again via Zoom this year on Sunday, November 21, from 4 - 5 pm PST.  This year’s service under the theme “Building Peace” celebrates how the respective faiths ‘raise us up’ to live our lives beyond conflict and to build peace and foster reconciliation. All are warmly invited to join!  For more information and to register for this free Zoom celebration, please visit:
interfaithsolidaritynetwork.org/interfaith-thanksgiving-service-2021/<http://interfaithsolidaritynetwork.org/interfaith-thanksgiving-service-2021/>

For questions, please email contact at interfaithsolidaritynetwork.org<mailto:contact at interfaithsolidaritynetwork.org>.

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 23, 7:30 PM
SOUTH BAY INTERFAITH
Annual Interfaith Thanksgiving Service (IN-PERSON & ONLINE)

Please join South Bay Interfaith for its Annual Interfaith Thanksgiving Service, held in person and virtually, on Tuesday, November 23, at 7:30 pm PST at St. Lawrence Martyr Church, 1940 S. Prospect Avenue, Redondo Beach CA 90277.  Hosted this year by St. Lawrence Martyr Church, and planned together with the interfaith community in LA's South Bay, the 2021 service is entitled “Finding Healing and Hope Together”.  For more information on this free event, please visit:
www.facebook.com/southbayinterfaith<http://www.facebook.com/southbayinterfaith>

To participate via Zoom, which will include dialogue breakout groups, please register at:

us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMvf-irrjstE9CwJmK-_UMiBLON5zIMpXkD<http://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMvf-irrjstE9CwJmK-_UMiBLON5zIMpXkD>

To view the live stream, please visit:
youtu.be/0oO6jwvfzRQ<http://youtu.be/0oO6jwvfzRQ>

For questions, please contact St. Lawrence Martyr Church at (310) 316-0090.

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 1, 5 PM
LUX CENTER FOR CATHOLIC-JEWISH STUDIES
The Jewish People and the Church - Webinar Series
Please join the Lux Center for Catholic-Jewish Studies at Sacred Heart Seminary in Wisconsin for a two-part Jewish Studies Seminar for Christians on Wednesday, November 17 and December 1 at 5 pm PST.  The November 17 session is entitled “What Jews Do When They Pray” and will be presented by Rabbi Scott Shafrin. The December 1 session will be on “Jeremiah, Isaiah, Ezekiel: Visions of the Hebrew Prophets” and will be presented by Rabbi Noah Chertkoff.  To register for these free webinars, please visit:

www.shsst.edu/jewish-studies-seminar/<http://www.shsst.edu/jewish-studies-seminar/>

For questions, please contact frontdesk at shsst.edu<mailto:frontdesk at shsst.edu>.

9.         Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Marriage Preparation Zoom Sessions in English and Spanish

The Office of Marriage and Family Life is offering a one-day Marriage Preparation Zoom session in English and Spanish.  This is for engaged couples and convalidation couples.  Cost is $100 per couple, and registration is required.  Once the registration process is complete, the Zoom link will be sent.

For English sessions, please contact Candy Metoyer at 213-637-7250 or at:
cmetoyer at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:cmetoyer at la-archdiocese.org>

For English, the dates are:

November 20
December 4, 11*

* For convalidation couples only

La Oficina de Matrimonio y  Familia ofrece sesiones Virtuales de Preparación Matrimonial para parejas comprometidas y parejas de convalidación. El costo de registración es de $100 por pareja. Para registrarse por favor comuníquese con: Graciela Villalobos 213-637-7561

gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org>.

Preparación Matrimonial en Español, Sesiones a través de Zoom

Noviembre 21
Diciembre 4, 11

10.       Retrovaille:  Upcoming Weekend Experiences to Help Troubled Marriages

Are you suffering in your marriage?  Do you have trouble communicating, more frequent arguments, distance between you and your spouse, or do you each go your own way?  You're not alone.  Retrouvaille, a couples marriage ministry provides help for troubled marriages.  Take back the joy of your marriage.  Your marriage is worth it!  Retrouvaille begins with a weekend experience.  Learn the tools to communicate more effectively as a couple.  Retrouvaille has helped couples learn the tools to restore intimacy and communication in their relationship.  Upcoming dates are:

December 10-12 (Los Angeles) English *In-Person

For registration and more information, visit:

www.helpourmarriage.org<http://www.helpourmarriage.org>

or

https://lacatholics.org/retrouvaille/.

11.       LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality: Faith and Ministry Formation Opportunities in English y Español

CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS | PROGRAMAS CERTIFICADOS

Dirección Espiritual
Las aplicaciònes para este programa deben presentarse antes del 30 de noviembre. Las clases comienzan el 8 de diciembre.
El programa es para aquellos estudiantes que se sienten llamados al ministerio de dirección espiritual y que desean profundizar su habilidad de escuchar y acompañar a otros.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/espanol/programas/direccion/

NEW: Media Arts for Ministry
Classes begin January 22
This program is designed for ministry, education, and other pastoral professionals who desire to integrate media into their work and ministry.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/pmax

Fundamentos de la Vida Contemplativa
Las clases comienzan el 25 de enero
Este programa que explora una espiritualidad mística para la vida diaria, está diseñado para personas que quieren aprender a vivir centradas y abiertas al misterio que nos habita.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/espanol/programas/vida/

Estudios bíblicos
Las clases comienzan el 28 de enero
El programa de estudio para el Instituto Bíblico Católico es cíclico, incluyendo un año de estudios enfocados en el Antiguo Testamento, y un año de estudios enfocados en el Nuevo Testamento.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/espanol/programas/biblico/

Biblical Studies
Classes begin February 5
The program of study for the Catholic Bible Institute is cyclical, including a year of studies focusing on the Old Testament, and a year of studies on the New Testament.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/bible/

UPCOMING COURSES | PRÓXIMOS CURSOS

Ethics
Classes begin November 20
This course offers an exploration of the questions which a person must ask, and the answers one must consider, in forming an intelligent philosophy of moral choice; the course offers a special emphasis on the Catholic intellectual tradition.
Info: https://registration.xenegrade.com/lmucrs/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=7163

Theology
Classes begin January 10
Theology is the systematic study of the nature of the divine and, more broadly, of religious belief. In classes on theology, students will able to reflect on personal religious experience, analyze sacred and important texts, think and write critically, and integrate reason and faith.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/theology/

Instituto Bíblico Católico: Nuevo Testamento
Las clases comienzan el 28 de enero
Este curso ofrece un estudio completo del Nuevo Testamento y una descripción general de lo siguiente: Marcos, Mateo, Lucas, Hechos, Juan, teología paulina, Cartas pastorales, el Libro del Apocalipsis y la teología del Nuevo Testamento. Se enfatizará la integración del estudio bíblico con la oración y la vida cristiana.
Info: https://registration.xenegrade.com/lmucrs/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=7476

Catholic Bible Institute: Old Testament
Classes begin February 5
This course offers an introduction to the Old Testament and an overview of the following: Exodus, Covenant, Primeval History, Patriarchs, Prophets, Historical Writings, Deuterocanonical Writings, Exile and Rebuilding, Wisdom Literature and Hebrew theology. The integration of biblical study with prayer and Christian living will be emphasized.
Info: https://registration.xenegrade.com/lmucrs/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=7564

UPCOMING EVENTS | PRÓXIMOS EVENTOS

"Showing the Way to God" with Rev. Barton T. Geger, S.J.
Saturday, November 20
The Holy Father, Pope Francis, when approving the four Universal Apostolic Preferences, pointed out that the first, showing the way to God, must be considered as the basis of all the others. In this webinar, Professor Geger will explain to us what it means to live this preference of showing the way to God, and why it is important for our world today.
Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/lis-lmu-uap-webinar-series-2-en

Webinar: "Mostrar el camino hacia Dios" con el Dr. Félix Palazzi
Sábado, 20 de noviembre
El Santo Padre el Papa Francisco, al aprobar las cuatro preferencias apostólicas universales, señaló que la primera, mostrar el camino hacia Dios, ha de considerarse como la base de todas.  En este webinar el Profesor Palazzi nos explicará qué significa vivir la preferencia de mostrar el camino hacia Dios, y porqué tiene importancia para nuestro mundo de hoy.
Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/lis-lmu-uap-webinar-series-2-es

“Justice and Spirituality on Screen: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country"
Wednesday, December 1
This series engages questions of faith and culture through the lens of modern cinema. Join us for a discussion and screening of “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country”, a 1991 feature film directed by Nicholas Meyer, and the final film featuring the entire cast of the original “Star Trek” television series.
Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/star-trek-vi

"The Inner Journey: Finding the Treasure Within" with Rev. James Clarke
Wednesday, December 1, 7 p.m.
This four-part workshop will help participants to uncover some traditional ways of entering the interior sanctum of the soul. Each session will offer some input, stories, prayer forms and time for reflection and specific opportunities to do your own inner work.
Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/the-inner-journey-workshop

TRAVEL | VIAJE

Pilgrimage to Spain
May 13-22, 2022
The Center and the Loyola Institute for Spirituality invite you to mark this Ignatian Year, commemorating 500 years since the conversion of St. Ignatius of Loyola, by walking in the footsteps of St. Ignatius at the historic and sacred sites of Spain.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/journeys/spain/

Peregrinación a España
13-22 de mayo de 2022
El Centro y el Loyola Institute for Spirituality lo invitan a conmemorar los 500 años de la conversión de San Ignacio de Loyola, siguiendo las huellas de este santo en los lugares históricos y sagrados de España.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/espanol/programas/viajes/espana/

CONACT US | CONTÁCTENOS

Phone: (310) 338-2799
Email: crs at lmu.edu<mailto:crs at lmu.edu>
Web: https://crs.lmu.edu
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/lmucrs

12.       Los Angeles Retreat Center Community:  New Event Calendar Available

In a continuing effort to pool resources for those in need of spiritual nourishment and solace, the Los Angeles Retreat Center Community—comprised of five retreat centers in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles—has released an online event calendar.  The calendar provides a simple guide to prayer meetings, retreats, and other spiritual activities held at each of the five centers.  It is available at:

https://laretreatcenters.com/

Each center offers a wide variety of programs, catering to differing spiritual needs according to an individual's faith or disposition. This should make it considerably easier for individuals or groups to find events and activities that best meet their needs.

The calendar provides a listing of both online and onsite events and covers all of 2021. Details of events are available on the calendar and include links to sign up online or via telephone.

The Los Angeles Retreat Center Community offers spiritual renewal and discovery for those looking for a deeper relationship with God.

The following are the current members of LARCC, offering a choice of locations, facilities, and programs to Los Angeles area residents that are convenient wherever they live and whatever their particular faith expression:

• Holy Spirit Retreat Center (Encino) https://www.hsrcenter.com

• Mary and Joseph Retreat Center (Rancho Palos Verdes) https://maryjoseph.org

• Mater Dolorosa Passionist Retreat Center (Sierra Madre) https://materdolorosa.org

• Sacred Heart Retreat Center (Alhambra) https://sacredheartretreathouse.com

• Serra Retreat (Malibu) https://serraretreat.com

For any questions, please contact Rachel Ramirez at: 626-355-7188, Ext. 130, or at:

rramirez at materdolorosa.org<mailto:rramirez at materdolorosa.org>

13.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Upcoming and Ongoing Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes has updated its website.  Find it at:

www.maryjoseph.org<http://www.maryjoseph.org>

Bring Your Own Group on Retreat in 2021 and 2022.  Mary and Joseph Retreat Center is now taking reservations to host groups.  Call to reserve their facilities and customize retreat time to fit your needs.  The Center are following local directives for health and safety, and numbers will be limited to allow for social distancing.  The Center has availability for groups to hold both day and overnight retreats.  Please call to find out more about their new guidelines and reserve a time for your retreat.  For information and reservations, contact Sydne Yanko-Jongbloed, at 310.377.4867, x258 or at:

sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org<mailto:sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org>

They are also sponsoring the following events:

Part 15 of the Spirituality Series: Amazing Grace: Grace-Willingness, Gift-Action, Invitation-Response!
Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, November 20, 2021 10:00am to 1:00pm  Remote Via Zoom (PST)
Are you tired of serial suffering? …are you mostly “restless, irritable, and discontent”? …are you filled with chronic irritation, anxiety, or boredom? Are you regularly asking: “IS THIS ALL THERE IS??”  The text book of AA suggests: We have entered the world of the SPIRIT! We can grow in understanding and effectiveness! It will continue for our lifetime! We will discuss: responding to the GIFT of GRACE with willingness & action; finding the KEY to unlock the secret to the Step 9 Promises of …Freedom …Happiness ...REALLY!  Herb K’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, 37 years of active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship and the publication of 3 books on spiritual awakening. The Spirituality Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center.
Donation: $25  Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/amazing-grace-grace-willingness-gift-action-invitation-response/>

A 12 Step Recovery Weekend ~ All Fellowships Welcome! Returning to Ourselves with John McAndrew, MA, MDiv
6:00pm Friday, December 3 to 1:30pm Sunday, December 5, 2021
Recovery is a journey of new awarenesses, acceptance, and action. This Weekend Retreat is for people whose lives have been affected by the family disease of Alcoholism/Addiction - singles, couples, all Fellowships welcome! Utilizing the foundations of the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions, we'll consider the Principles of Recovery as stepping stones to a new freedom, healthier relationships, and a life of joyful service. Bring your Big Book, 12&12 - and your partner, spouse or friends! John McAndrew is a counselor, musician, theologian, teacher, and poet in long-term recovery from the disease of addiction. Formerly Director of Spiritual Care at the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, he currently resides in Arroyo Grande, California, offering spiritual counseling and coaching for individual clients, as well as providing Spiritual Care for Hospice patients. Find more about John’s ministry at www.sensiblespirituality.org<http://www.sensiblespirituality.org>
Cost: per person/shared $250; single $350; commuter $160
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/returning-to-ourselves/>

15th Annual Nativity Exhibit: “Mixed Company ~ Visitors to the Creche”   Curator: Ellen Mintz
Monday, December 6 through Tuesday, December 21, 2021
Regular hours Sunday through Thursday are 9am-5pm; Fridays, Saturdays, 9am-9pm
Although the Birth was a private event, witnessed only by the animals who shared their shelter, word soon spread bringing visitors of all sorts. Depictions of the Birth are often populated with an interesting variety of people and animals and these add color to the story. This year we will feature many of these visitors and learn what their presence revealed about the Christmas celebration over time. Please join us for this year’s display and programs. We are delighted to open our grounds this season and to celebrate this beloved season. Call for specific hours or to arrange a program. Admission is free – Our Christmas gift to you!  We look forward to your attendance and support ~ donations are always appreciated. School groups, prayer groups, families & individuals are all welcome. Call in advance for scheduling and price quotes for docent tours or field trips. Bring your staff, office party, family or prayer group   for a holiday meal surrounded by the lights of the Christmas season. For health and safety, we will be honoring LA County Requirements & Archdiocese Health Guidelines. For more information call at (310) 377-4867 ext. 221 or email Sydne at sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org<mailto:sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org>.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/15th-annual-nativity-exhibit-visitors-to-the-creche/>

Sacred Expressions: The Art of Bookmaking with Ginger Doner
Saturday, January 8, 2022  9:00am to Noon
At this workshop Ginger will share her expertise to show us the process of designing, creating and completing a simple book. A handmade book, sometimes referred to as an artist's book can be inspired by images, rhythm, shape or form, movement, interactivity, memory, relationship of materials and structure to content and related to other book arts used in the making of books, such as papermaking, printmaking, letterpress, calligraphy, paper marbling, drawing and painting. Ginger is an artist whose interests include mixed media painting, glass fusing, metalsmithing & creating handmade books. Using a variety of mixed media techniques, she has created unique journals, scrapbooks & photo albums.
Cost: $40 per person (all materials included)
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/the-art-of-bookmaking/>

Ongoing Programs Via Zoom:

Centering Prayer Group
Centering Prayer is a practice to foster our relationship with God.  It is a movement beyond conversation to communion with God.  Come and pray with us.  The Mary and Joseph Retreat Center Centering Prayer group will meet on Zoom on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays each month from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).  Contact Herb Kaighan to register.  Donation.  He is at:

herbk12 at hotmail.com<mailto:herbk12 at hotmail.com>

Gratefulness Gathering with Christine Sanchirico
3rd Thursday of each month in 2021 via Zoom 4-5:30 PM (PST)
Experience, deepen, and share the power of living gratefully.  Gratefulness Gatherings are an opportunity to cultivate a space where we can explore grateful living as an orientation to life.  All are welcome to join our monthly Gratefulness Gatherings online via Zoom. We will meet on the 3rd Thursday each from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Pacific Time). Contact Christine Sanchirico for more information and to register at csanchirico at maryjoseph.org<mailto:csanchirico at maryjoseph.org>. Cost: Donation

For more information about any of these events, please call 310-377-4867 or access:

http://www/maryjoseph.org

14.       Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino is an interfaith Retreat Center offering an array of day and weekend classes, groups, and retreats. We also rent our facility to outside groups to hold their own retreats. We offer spiritual direction and space for private time available.  Please check our website:

www.hsrcenter.com<http://www.hsrcenter.com>

for more detailed information and registration.

SERIES & ONGOING PROGRAMS

-Labyrinth Walks:  December 21, 7-9pm

-International Thomas Merton Society Chapter Meetings: Third Sundays, 2-4pm

-Women at the Well: Tuesday, December 14, 10am-12noon

-Virtual Centering Prayer: Thursdays on Zoom, 10am -12noon

ONE DAY RETREATS (Saturdays)

-Spiritual Doorways, Welcoming the Sacred into a Covid World: November 20, 9:30am-3:30pm

-Advent Silent Saturday, Centering Prayer and Silence: December 4, 9am-12noon

-An Advent Day of Poetry, Music & Mandala Making: December 4, 9:30am-3:30pm

-Advent Vespers and Harp Concert: Sunday, December 19, 7pm

EXTENDED RETREATS

-Advent Film Festival, The Grace, Mercy & Joy of Christmas Movies with Rev. Mark Villano, SP MFA: December 12-15

-New Years Retreat, Restoring Faith in the Human Race with Sr. Chris Machado & Michael O’Palco: December 30-January 1

CONTACT INFORMATION

4316 Lanai Rd., Encino, CA 91436
Phone: 818-784-4515 Fax: 818-784-0409
E-mail: officemanager at hsrcenter.com<mailto:officemanager at hsrcenter.com>

15.       Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles:  Paid Internships and Other Job Services Available

Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services (AYE) of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc., has hundreds of paid internships and provides job placement, career counseling, and training opportunities through its America’s  Job Center of California (AJCC) and its Los Angeles City YouthSource Centers.  Please visit our website for the location nearest you:
www.ayela.org/contact-us<http://www.ayela.org/contact-us>

16.       California Laudato Si Accepting New Participants

“California Laudato Si” started as a continuing dialogue of California representatives to Catholic Climate Covenant's inaugural national Laudato Si conference in 2019.  Other diocesan, parish, and grassroot initiative representatives have joined in the ensuing years.  Through regular emails, events and resources are shared from around the state.  A monthly Zoom conversation furthers the commitment to the message and movement of Laudato Si, with guest speakers that have included the editor of National Catholic Reporter's Earth Beat, the founder of Green Driving America, and a representative of the Environmental Protection Agency sharing grant opportunities and educational resources.  To join the conversation and support the message of Laudato Si as the global Church engages in implementation of the Laudato Si Action Platform, please email:

creationsustainabilityawareness at outlook.com<mailto:creationsustainabilityawareness at outlook.com>

Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, there will be no ACC Newsbriefs on Friday, November 26.  The next issue will be distributed on Friday, December 3.  May you, your friends, family members, and community members enjoy a most blessed Thanksgiving.

This information is brought to you as a service of the Operations Department of the Archdiocesan Catholic Center in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, California.  If you would like to invite others to subscribe to the ACC Newsbriefs, please forward this issue to them and they can follow the directions below.  The same direction is given to those who wish to unsubscribe.

Subscribing and unsubscribing can be done at:

Please send questions or submissions to:

Eileen E. O’Brien
213-637-7618<tel:213-637-7618>
EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org>

Please do not send questions or submissions by replying to the ACC Newsbriefs.