[Newsbriefs] ACC Newsbriefs - October 29, 2021

ADLA NewsBriefs newsbriefs at lists.la-archdiocese.org
Fri Oct 29 07:17:55 PDT 2021

ACC Newsbriefs – October 29, 2021

Welcome to ACC Newsbriefs from the Archdiocesan Catholic Center (ACC) in Los Angeles. This weekly update (issued each Friday) brings news about the latest ministries, resources, events, workshops, etc. of the ACC departments and other entities. For more general information, please check the Archdiocesan website at:

http://www.la-archdiocese.org<http://www.la-archdiocese.org/>

or at:

http://www.lacatholics.org

Lines in the headline section link to the items themselves.  Just click on the headline and it will take you to the requested item.

New This Week:

  1.       Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries:  Community Outreach’s Free Online Seminars, “My Father’s House:  What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective,” Various Dates in November

  2.       Memorial Mass for John August Swanson, Thursday, November 18, in Los Angeles and Online

  3.       Retrovaille:  Upcoming Weekend Experiences to Help Troubled Marriages

  4.       Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of New Events

  5.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of New Events

Important Information and Continuing Events:

  6.       Fr. Kolbe Missionaries of the Immaculata:  Preparations to Make an Act of Consecration to Mary, Tuesdays in November, Online or in Person

  7.       Southern California Renewal Communities (SCRC):  “God’s Healing Power for Your Family Tree—Past, Present, and Future,” Saturday, November 6, in Gardena

  8.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Marriage Preparation Zoom Sessions in English and Spanish

  9.       LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality:  Faith and Ministry Formation Opportunities in English y Español

10.       Los Angeles Retreat Center Community:  New Event Calendar Available

11.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Upcoming and Ongoing Events

12.       Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino:  Calendar of New Events

13.       Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Online Events

14.       Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles:  Paid Internships and Other Job Services Available

15.       California Laudato Si Accepting New Participants

New This Week:

1.         Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries:  Community Outreach’s Free Online Seminars, “My Father’s House:  What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective,” Various Dates in November

If you’ve ever wondered what will happen when a loved one dies or how to plan for your own passing, then don’t miss this informative, free online seminar:  “My Father’s House: What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective.”  Presented by Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries, the seminar will be offered as follows:

Tuesday, November 9, at 7:00 p.m. OR Saturday, November 13, at 2:00 p.m., in English.

Wednesday, November 10, at 7:00 p.m. OR Saturday, November 13, at 4:00 p.m., in Spanish.

Each talk will last about 45 minutes, with a question-and-answer session to follow. There is no charge, but pre-registration is required.  Please register at:

http://www.catholiccm.org/webinars.

For more information, please contact:

outreach at catholiccm.org<mailto:outreach at catholiccm.org>

or call 213-637-7810.

2.         Memorial Mass for John August Swanson, Thursday, November 18, in Los Angeles and Online

Acclaimed artist John August Swanson died on Thursday, September 23.  A Memorial Mass of Resurrection for him will be celebrated on Thursday, November 18, at 9:30 a.m., at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles.  Fr. Chris Ponnet, pastor of St. Camillus Center for Pastoral Care in Los Angeles, will preside.  This Memorial Mass will also be livestreamed.  For more information, please access:

www.johnaugustswanson.com<http://www.johnaugustswanson.com>

3.         Retrovaille:  Upcoming Weekend Experiences to Help Troubled Marriages

Are you suffering in your marriage?  Do you have trouble communicating, more frequent arguments, distance between you and your spouse, or do you each go your own way?  You're not alone.  Retrouvaille, a couples marriage ministry provides help for troubled marriages.  Take back the joy of your marriage.  Your marriage is worth it!  Retrouvaille begins with a weekend experience.  Learn the tools to communicate more effectively as a couple.  Retrouvaille has helped couples learn the tools to restore intimacy and communication in their relationship.  Upcoming dates are:

November 5-7 (San Fernando) Spanish *Virtual

November 5-7 (Santa Clarita) English *In-Person

December 10-12 (Los Angeles) English *In-Person

For registration and more information, visit:

www.helpourmarriage.org<http://www.helpourmarriage.org>

or

https://lacatholics.org/retrouvaille/.

4.         Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of New Events

The Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs invites all to the following events:

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 11 & 18 AT 5 PM
THE INITIATIVE - Dr. John Armstrong
"Tear Down These Walls" - Ecumenical Book Discussion

Please join The Initiative and Dr. John H. Armstrong for a book discussion of his latest release, “Tear Down These Walls: Following Jesus into Deeper Unity”. The conversations will take place on four consecutive Thursdays starting on October 28, from 5 - 6:30 pm PT. Participants can join for one or all of the sessions.

Dr. Armstrong is the founder of The Initiative, a community of Christians from many backgrounds who walk together in a covenant with Jesus and his followers so that the love of Jesus might exceed all divisions. He is the author/editor of fifteen books and a minister of Word and Sacrament in the Reformed Church in America.
In this book, Dr. Armstrong lays out a clear framework for walking in Jesus' way of love in order to deepen unity with other Christians, as well as offering lots of practical examples of how to do so.

To register for these free book discussions, please visit
us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0oduipqDwtG9GPvcZBskr9Fk_EHmAKqiXj<http://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0oduipqDwtG9GPvcZBskr9Fk_EHmAKqiXj>

The book is available for purchase from Amazon in electronic or print edition, as well as directly from the publisher:
wipfandstock.com/9781725298071/tear-down-these-walls/<http://wipfandstock.com/9781725298071/tear-down-these-walls/>

For questions, please contact Scott Brill at scott at theinitiative.org<mailto:scott at theinitiative.org>.

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 9 AM

GRAYMOOR ECUMENICAL & INTERRELIGIOUS INSTITUTE
2021 Fr. Paul Wattson Lecture: On the Listening Road

Please join the Graymoor Ecumenical & Interreligious Institute and the Atlantic School of Theology for the 2021 Father Paul Wattson Lecture on Monday, November 1 at 9 am PDT. Presenter and honoree Stephanie Saldaña’s talk is entitled “On the Listening Road: Reflections on Syrian and Iraqi Refugees and the Power of Stories”.

Stephanie Saldaña is a writer, teacher and journalist who specializes in religious diversity in the Middle East, with a focus on refugees. Her articles and essays have appeared in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Plough, America, the Jesuit Review, and other publications.

For more information and to register for this free webinar, please visit
www.eventbrite.ca/e/reflections-on-syrian-and-iraqi-refugees-and-the-power-of-stories-tickets-165883974433<http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/reflections-on-syrian-and-iraqi-refugees-and-the-power-of-stories-tickets-165883974433>

For questions, please contact Jane Bolivar at jbolivar at astheology.ns.ca<mailto:jbolivar at astheology.ns.ca>.

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 7 PM

WORDNET PRODUCTIONS
Truth Talk with Rt. Rev. Alexei Smith

Please join Wordnet Productions for an installment of its new online show Truth Talk on Wednesday, November 3 at 7 pm, featuring Rt. Rev. Alexei Smith, Ecumenical & Interreligious Officer of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. Father Alexei will present on Christian Unity.

Truth Talk is a ministry of spreading the Truth of God’s Good News through online media with an emphasis on theology, right relationship, unconditional love, transparency, and human happiness, in close harmony with the teachings of the Catholic Church.

The program will be live streamed on both Wordnet Productions’ YouTube channel and Facebook page and will be followed by an online Q & A:

www.youtube.com/user/wordnetproductions<http://www.youtube.com/user/wordnetproductions>
www.facebook.com/www.wordnet.tv/<http://www.facebook.com/www.wordnet.tv/>

For questions, please contact Sister Jeanne Harris at Wordnet Productions at com at wordnet.tv<mailto:com at wordnet.tv>.

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 9 AM - NOON

45th Annual Catholic-Jewish Women’s Conference

Registration closes November 1!

You are cordially invited to attend the 45th Annual Catholic-Jewish Women’s Conference: Unveiling the Sacred through Storytelling. The conference will be held virtually via Zoom on Wednesday, November 11 from 9:00 am to 12 pm. Zoom waiting room opens at 8:45 am.

The ancient rabbis had a saying: “God made humans because God loves stories.” And no wonder, because every powerful story can sink deep into our souls and reveal the truth and goodness within us, or for us. The best stories — the kind handed down from generation to generation — weave connections, capture memories, foster healing, challenge confusion, begin necessary change. And each retelling takes us deeper, unveiling a new experience of the sacred so long as we follow God’s persistent command to “Listen well!” Gathered as Jewish and Catholic women, we will share the wisdom of our traditions and uncover the myriad ways Divine Love speaks through tales that are both truly universal and deeply personal.

Keynote speakers are Michal Lemberger, Author of “After Abel & Other Stories”, and Diana Macalintal, Co-founder of TeamRCIA.com and Liturgy.Life. The presentations will be followed by participant dialogue groups.

The conference fee (tax deductible) is $20. Student admission is free with pre-registration and valid student ID. Need-based scholarships are available. For more information and to register, please visit:  catholicjewishwomenla.org/conference/ <http://catholicjewishwomenla.org/conference/>

PLEASE NOTE: Conference registration CLOSES November 1.

For questions, please contact Julie Heath Elliott at (310) 575-1078 or jheathelliott at yahoo.com<mailto:jheathelliott at yahoo.com>.

5.         Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of New Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes is sponsoring the following new events:

Sacred Expressions: The Healing Art of Mandala Making with  Rev. Paula Vukmanic
Saturday, November 13, 2021  9:00am to Noon
The word mandala is from Sanskrit and means circle. A circle is a symbol of wholeness. The psychologist Carl G. Jung created one each morning “somehow corresponding to his inner situation at the time”. For Jung, “the mandala really is Formation, Transformation, Eternal Mind’s eternal recreation.” For me, mandala making has become a centering, healing experience of unfolding energies, a witness of a journey into the center of who I am.  I invite the same for you.  Our workshop will engage the experience of the mandala with a variety of mediums and papers.  I invite you to bring your own art materials if you so wish.  Our workshop will focus on meditative moments, creating our mandalas and learning some of the history of the mandala and current mandala projects. Come and experience this consecrated activity, in the Unity and Wholeness of God, embodied within us. The Rev. Paula recently retired as Rector of St Francis Episcopal Church in Palos Verdes Estates. In this new season, Paula is reengaging mandala making as part of her spiritual practice and ministry. She is also a professional artist and has exhibited in galleries for years. Paula has given workshops on the mandala and taught plein aire painting.
Cost: $40 per person (all materials included)
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/the-healing-art-of-mandala-making/>

Part 11 of the Path to Personal Freedom - 12 Steps: Practice Principles ~ Emotional Sobriety
Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, November 13, 2021   10:00 to 11:30 AM  Via Zoom (PST)
Step Twelve: A Practical Approach to Enlarging Our Spiritual Life | Practice of Principles: Program of recovery – Neutrality with addiction; Program for living – “Not Cured” of unmanageability. Herb’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship since 1984 and the publication of three books on spiritual awakening. A practitioner of Centering Prayer since 1990, Herb also facilitates a gathering (ZOOM) for Centering Prayer on the 2nd and 4th Wed. of each month. ALL are welcome to join in this experience. This 12 Step Series is a Fundraiser for the Retreat Center. Donation: $10   Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/part-11-of-the-path-to-personal-freedom-12-steps-practice-principles-emotional-sobriety/>

Part 15 of the Spirituality Series: Amazing Grace: Grace-Willingness, Gift-Action, Invitation-Response!
Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, November 20, 2021 10:00am to 1:00pm  Remote Via Zoom (PST)
Are you tired of serial suffering? …are you mostly “restless, irritable, and discontent”? …are you filled with chronic irritation, anxiety, or boredom? Are you regularly asking: “IS THIS ALL THERE IS??”  The text book of AA suggests: We have entered the world of the SPIRIT! We can grow in understanding and effectiveness! It will continue for our lifetime! We will discuss: responding to the GIFT of GRACE with willingness & action; finding the KEY to unlock the secret to the Step 9 Promises of …Freedom …Happiness ...REALLY!  Herb K’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, 37 years of active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship and the publication of 3 books on spiritual awakening. The Spirituality Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center.
Donation: $25  Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/amazing-grace-grace-willingness-gift-action-invitation-response/>

A 12 Step Recovery Weekend ~ All Fellowships Welcome! Returning to Ourselves with John McAndrew, MA, MDiv
6:00pm Friday, December 3 to 1:30pm Sunday, December 5, 2021
Recovery is a journey of new awarenesses, acceptance, and action. This Weekend Retreat is for people whose lives have been affected by the family disease of Alcoholism/Addiction - singles, couples, all Fellowships welcome! Utilizing the foundations of the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions, we'll consider the Principles of Recovery as stepping stones to a new freedom, healthier relationships, and a life of joyful service. Bring your Big Book, 12&12 - and your partner, spouse or friends! John McAndrew is a counselor, musician, theologian, teacher, and poet in long-term recovery from the disease of addiction. Formerly Director of Spiritual Care at the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, he currently resides in Arroyo Grande, California, offering spiritual counseling and coaching for individual clients, as well as providing Spiritual Care for Hospice patients. Find more about John’s ministry at www.sensiblespirituality.org<http://www.sensiblespirituality.org>
Cost: per person/shared $250; single $350; commuter $160
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/returning-to-ourselves/>

15th Annual Nativity Exhibit: “Mixed Company ~ Visitors to the Creche”   Curator: Ellen Mintz
Monday, December 6 through Tuesday, December 21, 2021
Regular hours Sunday through Thursday are 9am-5pm; Fridays, Saturdays, 9am-9pm
Although the Birth was a private event, witnessed only by the animals who shared their shelter, word soon spread bringing visitors of all sorts. Depictions of the Birth are often populated with an interesting variety of people and animals and these add color to the story. This year we will feature many of these visitors and learn what their presence revealed about the Christmas celebration over time. Please join us for this year’s display and programs. We are delighted to open our grounds this season and to celebrate this beloved season. Call for specific hours or to arrange a program. Admission is free – Our Christmas gift to you!  We look forward to your attendance and support ~ donations are always appreciated. School groups, prayer groups, families & individuals are all welcome. Call in advance for scheduling and price quotes for docent tours or field trips. Bring your staff, office party, family or prayer group   for a holiday meal surrounded by the lights of the Christmas season. For health and safety, we will be honoring LA County Requirements & Archdiocese Health Guidelines. For more information call at (310) 377-4867 ext. 221 or email Sydne at sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org<mailto:sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org>.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/15th-annual-nativity-exhibit-visitors-to-the-creche/>

Sacred Expressions: The Art of Bookmaking with Ginger Doner
Saturday, January 8, 2022  9:00am to Noon
At this workshop Ginger will share her expertise to show us the process of designing, creating and completing a simple book. A handmade book, sometimes referred to as an artist's book can be inspired by images, rhythm, shape or form, movement, interactivity, memory, relationship of materials and structure to content and related to other book arts used in the making of books, such as papermaking, printmaking, letterpress, calligraphy, paper marbling, drawing and painting. Ginger is an artist whose interests include mixed media painting, glass fusing, metalsmithing & creating handmade books. Using a variety of mixed media techniques, she has created unique journals, scrapbooks & photo albums.
Cost: $40 per person (all materials included)
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/the-art-of-bookmaking/>

Important Information and Continuing Events:

6.         Fr. Kolbe Missionaries of the Immaculata:  Preparations to Make an Act of Consecration to Mary, Tuesdays in November, Online or in Person

Fr. Kolbe Missionaries of the Immaculata invite all who are interested in making an act of consecration to Mary to preparatory events on the Tuesdays in November, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., either on Zoom or in-person.  The Rite of Consecration will be on either December 2 or December 4.  When we consecrate ourselves to Mary we recognize Mary as the gift given to us by Jesus from the Cross. We acknowledge that we are in need of her intercession and example, and the role she plays in our redemption. We accept this gift and in turn offer ourselves to her as an instrument in her immaculate hands to give our very best to Jesus and to share the Good News with others.  Registration is available at:

https://www.kolbemission.org/en/blog/prep.html

7.         Southern California Renewal Communities (SCRC):  “God’s Healing Power for Your Family Tree—Past, Present, and Future,” Saturday, November 6, in Gardena

Southern California Renewal Communities invites all to the following event:

“God's Healing Power for Your Family Tree—Past, Present, and Future.”  Saturday, November 6, from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at St. Anthony of Padua Church, 1050 West 163rd St., in Gardena.  The event will feature Fr. Michael Barry, SS.CC., Mr. Dominic Berardino, Marianne Dyogi, Erick Rubalcava.  Topics:  "Prayer for Breaking Family Bondages"; "Does Ancestral Sin Affect the Living?"; "Passing Blessings to Future Generations"; and "Freedom & Deliverance Through the Eucharist".  The day will conclude with Mass for Healing the Family Tree.  Cost for this event is $25 per person before Oct 25; or $35, or at the door.  Please bring sack lunch or drive to nearby restaurants.  Online registration is available at:

http://www.scrc.org/hft

8.         Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Marriage Preparation Zoom Sessions in English and Spanish

The Office of Marriage and Family Life is offering a one-day Marriage Preparation Zoom session in English and Spanish.  This is for engaged couples and convalidation couples.  Cost is $100 per couple, and registration is required.  Once the registration process is complete, the Zoom link will be sent.

For English sessions, please contact Candy Metoyer at 213-637-7250 or at:
cmetoyer at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:cmetoyer at la-archdiocese.org>

For English, the dates are:

November 6, 13*, 20
December 4, 11*

* For convalidation couples only

La Oficina de Matrimonio y  Familia ofrece sesiones Virtuales de Preparación Matrimonial para parejas comprometidas y parejas de convalidación. El costo de registración es de $100 por pareja. Para registrarse por favor comuníquese con: Graciela Villalobos 213-637-7561

gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org>.

Preparación Matrimonial en Español, Sesiones a través de Zoom

Octubre 30
Noviembre 6, 13, 21
Diciembre 4, 11

9.         LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality: Faith and Ministry Formation Opportunities in English y Español

CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS | PROGRAMAS CERTIFICADOS

Pastoral Care
Classes begin Thursday, November 18
This year-long program is designed for professionals and volunteers in direct service of those suffering, as well as those who feel called to pastoral care ministry.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/pastoralcare

NEW: Media Arts for Ministry
Classes begin Saturday, January 22
This program is designed for ministry, education, and other pastoral professionals who desire to integrate media into their work and ministry.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/pmax

UPCOMING EVENTS | PRÓXIMOS EVENTOS

"On Death and Dying: How to Companion the Bereaved in Planning Funeral Liturgies" with John Flaherty
Saturday, October 30, 9 a.m.
This workshop for music ministers, liturgy coordinators, and others offers an opportunity to build or sharpen the skills necessary to meet and accompany the bereaved through the rituals of the Order of Christian Funerals.
Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/funeral-rite-workshop

“Libro de Lamentaciones: Soy yo Señor, con mi esperanza rota” con Claudia Marin Austin
Jueves, 4 de noviembre, 7 p.m.
El taller, está inspirado en el Libro de lamentaciones, y va dirigido a toda persona que necesite profundizar en su relación con Dios y nutrir su experiencia de búsqueda constante del Dios que nunca falla. Especialmente está dirigido a personas en el liderazgo eclesial, que se enfrentan con el reto de dar razón de su esperanza en medio del dolor y el duelo ante las perdidas.
Info: https://registration.xenegrade.com/lmucrs/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=7337

“Justice and Spirituality on Screen: Coded Bias"
Wednesday, November 10
This series engages questions of faith and culture through the lens of modern cinema. Join us for a discussion and screening of “Coded Bias”, a 2020 documentary feature film produced and directed by Shalini Kantayya.
Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/coded-bias

"The Inner Journey: Finding the Treasure Within" with Rev. James Clarke, Ph.D.
Wednesday, December 1, 7 p.m.
This four-part workshop will help participants to uncover some traditional ways of entering the interior sanctum of the soul. Each session will offer some input, stories, prayer forms and time for reflection and specific opportunities to do your own inner work.
Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/the-inner-journey-workshop

“Justice and Spirituality on Screen: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country"
Wednesday, December 1
This series engages questions of faith and culture through the lens of modern cinema. Join us for a discussion and screening of “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country”, a 1991 feature film directed by Nicholas Meyer, and the final film featuring the entire cast of the original “Star Trek” television series.
Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/star-trek-vi

TRAVEL | VIAJE

Pilgrimage to Spain
May 13-22, 2022
The Center and the Loyola Institute for Spirituality invite you to mark this Ignatian Year, commemorating 500 years since the conversion of St. Ignatius of Loyola, by walking in the footsteps of St. Ignatius at the historic and sacred sites of Spain.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/journeys/spain/

Peregrinación a España
13-22 de mayo de 2022
El Centro y el Loyola Institute for Spirituality lo invitan a conmemorar los 500 años de la conversión de San Ignacio de Loyola, siguiendo las huellas de este santo en los lugares históricos y sagrados de España.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/espanol/programas/viajes/espana/

CONACT US | CONTÁCTENOS

Phone: (310) 338-2799
Email: crs at lmu.edu<mailto:crs at lmu.edu>
Web: https://crs.lmu.edu
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/lmucrs

10.       Los Angeles Retreat Center Community:  New Event Calendar Available

In a continuing effort to pool resources for those in need of spiritual nourishment and solace, the Los Angeles Retreat Center Community—comprised of five retreat centers in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles—has released an online event calendar.  The calendar provides a simple guide to prayer meetings, retreats, and other spiritual activities held at each of the five centers.  It is available at:

https://laretreatcenters.com/

Each center offers a wide variety of programs, catering to differing spiritual needs according to an individual's faith or disposition. This should make it considerably easier for individuals or groups to find events and activities that best meet their needs.

The calendar provides a listing of both online and onsite events and covers all of 2021. Details of events are available on the calendar and include links to sign up online or via telephone.

The Los Angeles Retreat Center Community offers spiritual renewal and discovery for those looking for a deeper relationship with God.

The following are the current members of LARCC, offering a choice of locations, facilities, and programs to Los Angeles area residents that are convenient wherever they live and whatever their particular faith expression:

• Holy Spirit Retreat Center (Encino) https://www.hsrcenter.com

• Mary and Joseph Retreat Center (Rancho Palos Verdes) https://maryjoseph.org

• Mater Dolorosa Passionist Retreat Center (Sierra Madre) https://materdolorosa.org

• Sacred Heart Retreat Center (Alhambra) https://sacredheartretreathouse.com

• Serra Retreat (Malibu) https://serraretreat.com

For any questions, please contact Rachel Ramirez at: 626-355-7188, Ext. 130, or at:

rramirez at materdolorosa.org<mailto:rramirez at materdolorosa.org>

11.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Upcoming and Ongoing Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes has updated its website.  Find it at:

www.maryjoseph.org<http://www.maryjoseph.org>

Bring Your Own Group on Retreat in 2021 and 2022.  Mary and Joseph Retreat Center is now taking reservations to host groups.  Call to reserve their facilities and customize retreat time to fit your needs.  The Center are following local directives for health and safety, and numbers will be limited to allow for social distancing.  The Center has availability for groups to hold both day and overnight retreats.  Please call to find out more about their new guidelines and reserve a time for your retreat.  For information and reservations, contact Sydne Yanko-Jongbloed, at 310.377.4867, x258 or at:

sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org<mailto:sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org>

They are also sponsoring the following events:

Weekend Healing Retreat with Fr. Pat Crowley, SSCC
“Choose Life Then... That You & Your Descendants May Live” ~ Deuter: 30.19
6pm Friday, October 29 to 1:30pm Sunday, October 31, 2021
“The word road sums up one of the deepest experiences of human beings as they confront the task of life. Life is never a given, it is always a task, something that  must must be done and carried out. We do not live simply by not dying. We walk toward life. To live is to walk. Walking assumes that there is a road.” ~ Leonardo Boff. This retreat will focus on the “the gift of life,” “the suffering of the human condition,” and God's “compassionate love” in Jesus. It will be a time of prayer, healing and reconciliation. Fr. Crowley, is a member of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts in the Western Region of the United States Province. He has been actively involved in the Healing Ministry for over forty years. Presently, he resides at the Community House in California.
Cost: per person/shared $250; single $350; commuter $160
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/weekend-healing-retreat-2/>

Ongoing Programs Via Zoom:

Centering Prayer Group
Centering Prayer is a practice to foster our relationship with God.  It is a movement beyond conversation to communion with God.  Come and pray with us.  The Mary and Joseph Retreat Center Centering Prayer group will meet on Zoom on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays each month from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).  Contact Herb Kaighan to register.  Donation.  He is at:

herbk12 at hotmail.com<mailto:herbk12 at hotmail.com>

Gratefulness Gathering with Christine Sanchirico
3rd Thursday of each month in 2021 via Zoom 4-5:30 PM (PST)
Experience, deepen, and share the power of living gratefully.  Gratefulness Gatherings are an opportunity to cultivate a space where we can explore grateful living as an orientation to life.  All are welcome to join our monthly Gratefulness Gatherings online via Zoom. We will meet on the 3rd Thursday each from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Pacific Time). Contact Christine Sanchirico for more information and to register at csanchirico at maryjoseph.org<mailto:csanchirico at maryjoseph.org>. Cost: Donation

For more information about any of these events, please call 310-377-4867 or access:

http://www/maryjoseph.org

12.       Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino:  Calendar of New Events

Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino is an interfaith Retreat Center offering an array of day and weekend classes, groups, and retreats. We also rent our facility to outside groups to hold their own retreats. We offer spiritual direction and space for private time available.  Please check our website:

www.hsrcenter.com<http://www.hsrcenter.com>

for more detailed information and registration.

SERIES & ONGOING PROGRAMS

-Labyrinth Walks:  December 21, 7-9pm

-International Thomas Merton Society Chapter Meetings: Third Sundays, 2-4pm

-Women at the Well: Tuesdays, 10am-12noon, November 9, December 14

-Virtual Centering Prayer: Thursdays on Zoom, 10am -12noon

ONE DAY RETREATS (Saturdays)

-Conscious Aging, Death Makes Life Possible, Surrender & Letting Go: October 30, 9:30-3pm

-Art of Letting Go through Sacred Collage: November 6, 9am-4pm

-Introduction to the Scriptures: November 13, 10am-2pm

-Spiritual Doorways, Welcoming the Sacred into a Covid World: November 20, 9:30am-3:30pm

-Advent Silent Saturday, Centering Prayer and Silence: December 4, 9am-12noon

-An Advent Day of Poetry, Music & Mandala Making: December 4, 9:30am-3:30pm

-Advent Vespers and Harp Concert: Sunday, December 19, 7pm

EXTENDED RETREATS

-Advent Film Festival, The Grace, Mercy & Joy of Christmas Movies with Rev. Mark Villano, SP MFA: December 12-15

-New Years Retreat, Restoring Faith in the Human Race with Sr. Chris Machado & Michael O’Palco: December 30-January 1

CONTACT INFORMATION

4316 Lanai Rd., Encino, CA 91436
Phone: 818-784-4515 Fax: 818-784-0409
E-mail: officemanager at hsrcenter.com<mailto:officemanager at hsrcenter.com>

13.       Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Online Events

The Center for Spiritual Development in Orange is sponsoring the following event in its series, “The Sojourner’s Well:  Refreshment for Spiritual Directors.”
Prayer: The Heart of our Faith
Saturday, October 30
9 am – 12:30pm, PDT via Zoom
Fee: $40
Rev. Jim Clarke, Ph.D.
Prayer nourishes our relationship with God as we experience that Divine Presence. Different forms of prayer help us to connect with God within a variety of contexts.  As people of faith, it is
therefore beneficial to be familiar with diverse forms of prayer. In this class we will:

  *   Explore a variety of prayer forms
  *   Trace a theology of prayer
  *   Share the fruits of prayer
  *   Discuss the stages of prayer
  *   Develop a growing awareness of intimacy with God

To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/3Aha2mf

14.       Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles:  Paid Internships and Other Job Services Available

Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services (AYE) of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc., has hundreds of paid internships and provides job placement, career counseling, and training opportunities through its America’s  Job Center of California (AJCC) and its Los Angeles City YouthSource Centers.  Please visit our website for the location nearest you:

www.ayela.org/contact-us<http://www.ayela.org/contact-us>

15.       California Laudato Si Accepting New Participants

“California Laudato Si” started as a continuing dialogue of California representatives to Catholic Climate Covenant's inaugural national Laudato Si conference in 2019.  Other diocesan, parish, and grassroot initiative representatives have joined in the ensuing years.  Through regular emails, events and resources are shared from around the state.  A monthly Zoom conversation furthers the commitment to the message and movement of Laudato Si, with guest speakers that have included the editor of National Catholic Reporter's Earth Beat, the founder of Green Driving America, and a representative of the Environmental Protection Agency sharing grant opportunities and educational resources.  To join the conversation and support the message of Laudato Si as the global Church engages in implementation of the Laudato Si Action Platform, please email:

creationsustainabilityawareness at outlook.com<mailto:creationsustainabilityawareness at outlook.com>

This information is brought to you as a service of the Operations Department of the Archdiocesan Catholic Center in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, California.  If you would like to invite others to subscribe to the ACC Newsbriefs, please forward this issue to them and they can follow the directions below.  The same direction is given to those who wish to unsubscribe.

Subscribing and unsubscribing can be done at:

Please send questions or submissions to:

Eileen E. O’Brien
213-637-7618<tel:213-637-7618>
EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org>

Please do not send questions or submissions by replying to the ACC Newsbriefs.