[Newsbriefs] ACC Newsbriefs - September 17, 2021

ADLA NewsBriefs newsbriefs at lists.la-archdiocese.org
Fri Sep 17 07:57:42 PDT 2021

ACC Newsbriefs – September 17, 2021

Welcome to ACC Newsbriefs from the Archdiocesan Catholic Center (ACC) in Los Angeles. This weekly update (issued each Friday) brings news about the latest ministries, resources, events, workshops, etc. of the ACC departments and other entities. For more general information, please check the Archdiocesan website at:

http://www.la-archdiocese.org<http://www.la-archdiocese.org/>

or at:

http://www.lacatholics.org

Lines in the headline section link to the items themselves.  Just click on the headline and it will take you to the requested item.

New This Week:

  1.       Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles:  Auditions for Children’s Chorus, Sunday, September 19

  2.       Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of New Events

  3.       Southern California Renewal Communities (SCRC) in Burbank:  “The Modern Day Outpouring of the Holy Spirit and Lessons from St. Padre Pio – A Modern Day Mystic,” Saturday, October 2, in Dana Point

  4.       Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of New Events

  5.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of New Events

Important Information and Continuing Events:

  6.       Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries:  Community Outreach Free Online Seminar, “My Father’s House:  What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective,” Saturday, September 18

  7.       Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Online Events

  8.       St. Camillus Center for Pastoral Care in Los Angeles:  Calendar of Events

  9.       Office of Life, Justice, and Peace:  Upcoming Masses Celebrating Immigrants and Healthcare Workers

10.       Lay Mission-Helpers:  Honoring Msgr. Michael Meyers at their Virtual Rose Gala, Saturday, October 16

11.       Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

12.       Office of Diaconate Formation:  Virtual Information Day, Sunday, October 17

13.       LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality:  Faith and Ministry Formation Opportunities in English y Español

14.       Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino:  Calendar of New Events

15.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Upcoming and Ongoing Events

16.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Marriage Preparation Zoom Sessions in English and Spanish

New This Week:

1.         Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles:  Auditions for Children’s Chorus, Sunday, September 19

The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles is holding auditions for its Children’s Chorus.  The Chorus will be made up of children in grades 4 through 9.  The auditions will be held on Sunday, September 19, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., at the Cathedral Conference Center.  To schedule an audition, please contact Joe Bazyouros, Director of Music, at 213-680-5205 or at:

jbazyouros at olacathedral.org<mailto:jbazyouros at olacathedral.org>

2.         Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of New Events

The Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs invites all to the following events:

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 7:00 – 8:30 PM

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CHRISTIAN FORUM

Virtual Ecumenical Bible Study

Please join the Southern California Christian Forum (SCCF) for its next Virtual Ecumenical Bible Study on Tuesday, September 21, 7:00 - 8:30 pm PDT. All are welcome!

The bible study will be conducted via Zoom. To register, please contact SCCF administrative assistant Joey Baker at contact at socalforum.net<mailto:contact at socalforum.net>. Zoom instructions will be sent after registration.

For questions, please contact Rt. Rev. Alexei Smith, President of the SCCF and Ecumenical & Interreligious Officer of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, at FrARSmith at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:FrARSmith at la-archdiocese.org>.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 8 AM
CADEIO
Faith for Earth: A Call for Action

Please join the Catholic Association of Diocesan Ecumenical and Interreligious Officers (CADEIO) on Wednesday, September 22 at 8 am PDT for a special online dialogue on “Faith for Earth: A Call for Action”, a publication of the United Nations Environment Programme<https://www.unep.org/> and the Parliament of the World’s Religions<http://parliamentofreligions.org/>.

The dialogue will be facilitated by Fr. Michael Lynch, CADEIO Care for Creation Committee, and will feature representatives from the partners that made the publication of Faith for Earth possible.

For more information and to register for this free webinar, please visit:
creation.cadeio.org/events/faith-for-earth-dialogue/#<http://creation.cadeio.org/events/faith-for-earth-dialogue/>

For questions, please contact careforcreation at cadeio.org<mailto:careforcreation at cadeio.org>.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 10 AM
NEW CITY PRESS
Webinar: Baptists and Catholics Together?

Please join New City Press for a webinar entitled “Baptists and Catholics Together? A Conversation with Steven Harmon and Paul Murray” on Wednesday, September 22 at 10 am PDT.

Within the whole church, Baptists and Catholics might seem to be ecclesiological and liturgical polar opposites. Yet as veteran Baptist ecumenist Steven Harmon demonstrates in his book "Baptists, Catholics, and the Whole Church: Partners in the Pilgrimage to Unity", they share much in common that can enable them to travel together as fellow pilgrims on the journey toward a more visibly united church.
Join Steven Harmon and leading Catholic ecumenist Paul Murray as they discuss Catholic-Baptist relations and how the Baptist-Catholic encounter can benefit the whole Christian community.

For more information and to register for this free webinar, please visit:
us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN__V8WGBYQT5-c1gCC6M8Zlg<http://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN__V8WGBYQT5-c1gCC6M8Zlg>

For questions, please contact info at newcitypress.com<mailto:info at newcitypress.com>.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 7 PM

SOUTH COAST INTERFAITH COUNCIL
Religion 101 - United Church of Christ

Please join the South Coast Interfaith Council & The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for an installment of their interfaith series Religion 101, which focuses on educating people about the various faith traditions.

On Thursday, September 23 at 7 pm PDT, the Rev. Elena Larssen, United Church of Christ’s Minister for Volunteer Engagement, will present on the Congregational Church - United Church of Christ.

To register for this free webinar, please visit:
www.scinterfaith.org/event-details/religion-101-congregational-church-united-church-of-christ<http://www.scinterfaith.org/event-details/religion-101-congregational-church-united-church-of-christ>

For questions, please e-mail office at scinterfaith.org<mailto:office at scinterfaith.org> or call (562) 983-1665. All are welcome!

3.         Southern California Renewal Communities (SCRC) in Burbank:  “The Modern Day Outpouring of the Holy Spirit and Lessons from St. Padre Pio – A Modern Day Mystic,” Saturday, October 2, in Dana Point

“The Modern Day Outpouring of the Holy Spirit and Lessons  from St. Padre Pio - A Modern Day Mystic,” will be held on Saturday, October 2, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., at St. Edward the Confessor School Gym which is located at 33926 Calle La Primavera, Dana Point.  Speakers will include Fr. Bob Garon, Dr. Elizabeth Kim, and Mr. Dominic Berardino.  Topics will include:  Mystical & Charismatic Gifts in a Skeptical Era; Healings, Miracles & Spiritual Battle in St. Padre Pio's Life; St. Padre Pio

and the Holy Angels.  The day will include a Special St. Padre Pio Relic Display and Mass with Blessing and Healing Prayer with St. Padre Pio's Relic Glove.  Cost for this event is $25 per person through Wednesday, September 22; or $35 per person at the door. Catered chicken lunch is included.  Questions: (818) 771-1361, spirit at scrc.org<mailto:spirit at scrc.org>  Online registration for this event is available at:

http://www.scrc.org/pio

4.         Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of New Events

The Center for Spiritual Development in Orange invites people to the upcoming events:

Exploring the Enneagram Part 1:  A Journey of Self-Discovery
Saturday, September 25
9 am – 12pm, PDT via Zoom
Fee: $40
Sr. Jane DeLisle, CSJ
The Enneagram is a powerful tool for self-understanding and inner transformation. In the Christian tradition, this tool can deepen your understanding of who you are before God and reveal insights into how you relate in your family, to friends and in the workplace. Understanding the Enneagram can lead you on an exciting journey of self-awareness at any stage of your life.
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/3C7v87g

Mary of Magdala, Disciple and Apostle – Scripture Study
Saturday, October 2
10 am – 12pm, PDT via Zoom
Fee: $20
Sr. Christine Hilliard, CSJ
This session will focus on the person of Mary of Magdala in the Gospels while noting some of the 1st century Mediterranean cultural aspects related to her. In the context of her life, she responded to the call to live and proclaim the Good News so we will meet her there. Her influence as a member of the "communion of saints" continues today. This reality makes it important to sort out the false legends that have developed and been passed on through the centuries in order for us to greet her as a holy companion in our time.
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/3AfKKoG

You Are in My Hands – Retreat Time for Women
Sunday, October 17
10 am – 12pm, PDT via Zoom
Fee: $20
Sr. Sharon Becker, CSJ, and Sr. Christine Schleich, CSJ
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/3hC1a3f

Courageous Awareness: Enneagram 2 - A Road Map to Personal Growth
Saturday, October 23
9 am – 12pm, PDT via Zoom
Fee: $40
Sr. Jane DeLisle, CSJ
Awareness is the first step to self-knowledge. The Enneagram awakens the possibility to engage life more holistically. For those who have knowledge of their Enneagram profile, this class will expand understanding of Enneagram wings and arrows as means to deeper awareness toward inner transformation. Wings and arrows reveal countless opportunities for integration while offering road maps for personal growth.
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/3lqfXzj

Prayer: The Heart of our Faith
Saturday, October 30
9 am – 12:30pm, PDT via Zoom
Fee: $40
Rev. Jim Clarke, Ph.D.
Prayer nourishes our relationship with God as we experience that Divine Presence. Different forms of prayer help us to connect with God within a variety of contexts.  As people of faith, it is
therefore beneficial to be familiar with diverse forms of prayer. In this class we will:

  *   Explore a variety of prayer forms
  *   Trace a theology of prayer
  *   Share the fruits of prayer
  *   Discuss the stages of prayer
  *   Develop a growing awareness of intimacy with God

To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>
https://bit.ly/3Aha2mf

5.         Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of New Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes invites all to the following events:

Part 10 of the Path to Personal Freedom: 12 Steps
Intentional Compassion
Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, October 9, 2021  10:00 to 11:30 AM  Via Zoom (PST)
Step Twelve: A Practical Approach to Enlarging Our Spiritual Life | Compassion:  Spiritual Awakening – Change;  Carrying this message – Being a Lantern;  Sponsorship / Step-Guide – Helping. This 12 Step Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
Donation: $10   Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/part-10-of-the-path-to-personal-freedom-12-steps-intentional-compassion/>

Quarterly Series: Part Four on Emotional Sobriety
Emotional Sobriety and Core Principles 7 through 12
Dr. Allen Berger, PhD, Clinical Psychologist & Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, October 16, 2021 9:00am to 1:00 pm    Remote Via Zoom (PST)
Who should attend?  All who are interested in improving the quality of their life; especially those in any 12 Step Fellowship. Dr. Berger and Herb K. will unpack Core Principles 7 thru 12 of Emotional Sobriety that sustain personal growth, a continuation of the July 24th workshop. This powerful experience will give each participant an opportunity to look at the current quality of life from a fresh perspective and have a new experience. Transformation creates a new attitude and experience towards ourselves, others and Reality. This workshop creates a template for emotional growth helping us: discern and manifest our true self; identify our internal obstacles to joy by practicing these Principles; live with balance, humility and vitality; be the determining force in our own lives and a positive force in our community. Honestly ask yourself: What are the sources of the symptoms of my current suffering?; Do I have a quality life?; Do I have balance?; Do I have a sense of personal value, purpose and meaning? Attendees will experience a process for: Identifying the obstacles to quality living; Holding on to yourself, regaining your balance after you have lost it, discover the path to authentic freedom and happiness; Fostering your life, having personal freedom and VIBRANT relationships.
Cost: $45 per workshop   Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
For registration questions, call José at (310) 377-4867 ext 250 or email him at jsalas at maryjoseph.org<mailto:jsalas at maryjoseph.org>
For questions on content, email Tania at tania.herbk at gmail.com<mailto:tania.herbk at gmail.com>
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/4th-quarterly-emotional-sobriety-and-core-principles-7-through-12/>

Important Information and Continuing Events:

6.         Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries:  Community Outreach Free Online Seminar, “My Father’s House:  What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective,” Saturday, September 18
If you have ever wondered what will happen when a loved one dies or how to plan for your own passing, then please join this informative, free online seminar:  “My Father’s House: What to Expect When a Loved One Dies, How to Prepare for Your Own Needs, From a Catholic Perspective.”  Presented by Catholic Cemeteries and Mortuaries, the seminar will be offered as follows:

Saturday, September 18, at 10:00 a.m. in English.

Saturday, September 18, at 1:00 p.m. in Spanish.

Each talk will last about 45 minutes, with a question and answer session to follow. There is no charge, but pre-registration is required. Please register at:

http://www.catholiccm.org/webinars.

For more information, please contact:

outreach at catholiccm.org<mailto:outreach at catholiccm.org>

or call 213-637-7810.

7.         Center for Spiritual Development in Orange:  Calendar of Upcoming Online Events

The Center for Spiritual Development in Orange is sponsoring the following events in its series, “The Sojourner’s Well:  Refreshment for Spiritual Directors.”

“Focusing and Felt-Sense for Deeper Insights in Spiritual Accompaniment Part 1”-
Saturday, September 18
9 am – 12:30 pm, PDT via Zoom
Fee: $50
Fr. David Robinson, SJ and Sr. Jeanne Fallon, CSJ
BioSpiritual Focusing can offer a path to help one get a body-feel for the significant issues and experiences in life.  It can help one learn to sense how experience feels in the body, not simply what one thinks about it. “Meaning is not only thought in our minds; it is felt within our bodies” (Fr. Peter Campbell). In these sessions, presenters will assist spiritual directors to help serious seekers to recognize that the human body itself gives voice to its own experience. The body has its unique role in the spiritual development of each person.
The purpose of these sessions is to assist the director to reflect to the directee what she/he is sensing within. The director creates an environment of “caring presence” so the directee can engage in his/her internal dialogue. This is not a Companioning Course – only an introduction.
For Spiritual Directors only
To register, or for more information, please contact the Center for Spiritual Development at
714-744-3172; e-mail:
TheCSD at csjorange.org<mailto:TheCSD at csjorange.org>

https://bit.ly/3jDY4gN

“Focusing and Felt-Sense for Deeper Insights in Spiritual Accompaniment Part 2”
Saturday, October 16
[...]
https://bit.ly/3yzmHQ1

8.         St. Camillus Center for Pastoral Care in Los Angeles:  Calendar of Events

St. Camillus Center and Pax Christi Southern California continue to host a Mass on Zoom each Sunday at 4:00 p.m., with a focus on Catholic Social Justice teaching and reflections that include those who attend.  From 3:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., there is also reflective music live on the Irish harp with Dennis Doyle.  Fr Chris Ponnet is pastor and presider.  To receive the Zoom ID to participate, please access:

www.stcamilluscenter.org<http://www.stcamilluscenter.org>

Pax Christi Southern California and Pace e Bene Nonviolence Service have teamed up to offer a short training in nonviolence.  The brief 2 hour training is Saturday, September 18, from 9:45am to Noon PDT will help you follow the Nonviolent Jesus more closely, and best of all it is free.

Our trainers are Pace e Bene Board Members Julia Occhiogrosso, founder of Las Vegas Catholic Worker, and Dr. Ken Butigan, Pace e Bene staff member.

You will not want to miss this training opportunity in these very difficult times.

Go to:

paxchrisitsocal.org<http://paxchrisitsocal.org/>

to register for this free virtual zoom training.

Sunday, October 24, at 4:00 p.m.:  Mass in person and on Zoom., including blessing of the renovated space at St. Camillus Center.  RSVP to:

www.stcamilluscenter.org<http://www.stcamilluscenter.org>

COVID was a challenging time for all including the chaplains at LAC USC Medical Center, Norris/Keck. During these months the chapel has been closed and they have used this time to renovate parts of the chapel with the help of several donors.  All are invited to join together for a Mass of Celebration and simple refreshments that will follow.  For any questions, please contact 323-225-4461 x111.

St. Camillus hosts the chaplains for LAC USC Medical Center and Norris/Keck hospitals.  They have an ACPE training program for professional chaplains and coordinate Outreach Services for the Archdiocese that include Catholic Ministry with Lesbian and Gay Persons, Pax Christi, Catholic HIV/AIDS Ministry, UIC Urban Interfaith Center(CPE), Angel Interfaith Network, Catholics Against the Death Penalty, and Consistent Life Ethics Resources.  For more information, please access:

www.stcamilluscenter.org<http://www.stcamilluscenter.org>

They also host Black Lives Matter (BLM.org); the anti-racism project of PaxChristiUSA.org; LAVoice.org; CLUE.org; and JustFaith.org

9.         Office of Life, Justice, and Peace:  Upcoming Masses Celebrating Immigrants and Healthcare Workers

Mass in Recognition of all immigrants 2021 celebrated by Archbishop José H. Gomez at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels

All are welcome to join Archbishop José H. Gomez as he celebrates the annual Mass in Recognition of All Immigrants on Sunday, September 19, 2021, from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, 555 W. Temple Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012. The annual celebration is a joint effort with the Dioceses of Orange, San Bernardino and San Diego. The special Mass unites thousands in prayer and celebration of the immigrant spirit of the United States. The Mass will be in person, following all protocols and guidelines set by public health and the Archdiocese’s authorities, and will be livestreamed on https://www.facebook.com/lacatholics. Parking at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels is a flat fee of $10. For more information, please visit lacatholics.org/immigration/<https://lacatholics.org/immigration/> or call 213 637-7820.

Misa de Reconocimiento a Todos los Inmigrantes 2021 celebrada por el Arzobispo José H. Gomez en la Catedral de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles

Se invita al público a unirse al Arzobispo José H. Gomez en la celebración de la Misa anual en Reconocimiento a Todos los Inmigrantes el domingo 19 de septiembre de 2021, a partir de las 3:30 p.m. hasta las 4:30 p.m. en la Catedral de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles, 555 W. Temple Street, Los Ángeles, CA 90012. La celebración anual es un esfuerzo conjunto con las Diócesis de Orange, San Bernardino y San Diego. La Misa especial une a miles en oración y celebración del espíritu inmigrante de los Estados Unidos. La Misa será en persona, siguiendo todos los protocolos y recomendaciones establecidas por las autoridades de salud pública y las autoridades de la Arquidiócesis, y se transmitirá en vivo en https://www.facebook.com/lacatholics. El estacionamiento en la Catedral de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles tiene un costo fijo de 10 dólares. Para obtener más información, visite lacatholics.org/immigration/<https://lacatholics.org/immigration/> o llame al 213 637-7820.

Archdiocese of Los Angeles and Mission Doctors Association invites everyone to the Annual Mass for Healthcare Professionals 2021 celebrated by Archbishop José H. Gomez at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels

This Healthcare Professionals Mass is for hospital and nursing home personnel, physicians, nurses, chaplains, physical therapists, mental health caregivers, chiropractors, administration, dietary staff, registration, security, environmental services, maintenance, transport, lab workers and ALL those involved in the healthcare field.
We understand the sacrifices that have been made by all of you during this pandemic.  We know the burdens at times have been heavy with challenging situations. This Mass is offered for you with our sincere gratitude. We hope you can join us for this special Mass honoring all our Healthcare Professionals.

Please join us October 24, 2021 from 3:30PM – 4:30PM at the Cathedral of Our Lady of The Angels (555 West Temple Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012).

Celebrant: Archbishop José H. Gomez
Homilist: Bishop Marc Trudeau

For more information send an email to Catholichealthcare at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:Catholichealthcare at la-archdiocese.org> or call(213) 637-7655.

La Arquidiócesis de Los Ángeles y la Asociación de Médicos de la Misión invitan a todos a la Misa Anual para Profesionales de la Salud 2021 celebrada por el Arzobispo José H. Gómez en la Catedral de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles

Esta misa de los profesionales de la salud es para el personal de hospitales y residencias de ancianos, médicos, enfermeras, capellanes, fisioterapeutas, cuidadores de salud mental, quiroprácticos, administración, personal dietético, de registro, de seguridad, de servicios ambientales, de mantenimiento, de transporte, de laboratorio y TODOS los que participan en el campo de la salud.

Comprendemos los sacrificios que han hecho todos ustedes durante esta pandemia.  Sabemos que las cargas a veces han sido pesadas con situaciones difíciles. Esta misa se ofrece para ustedes con nuestra sincera gratitud. Esperamos que puedan unirse a nosotros en esta misa especial en honor a todos nuestros profesionales de la salud.

Acompáñenos el 24 de octubre de 2021 de 3:30PM - 4:30PM en la Catedral de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles (555 West Temple Street, Los Ángeles, CA 90012).

Celebrante: Arzobispo José H. Gomez
Homilista: Obispo Marc Trudeau

Para más información envié un correo electrónico a catholichealthcare at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:catholichealthcare at la-archdiocese.org>
O llame al (213) 637-7655

10.       Lay Mission-Helpers:  Honoring Msgr. Michael Meyers at their Virtual Rose Gala, Saturday, October 16

Lay Mission-Helpers Association (LMH) invites you to their Virtual Rose Gala on Saturday, October 16 at 5:00 PM PDT. During this free event, Msgr. Michael Meyers will be presented with the St. Therese of Lisieux Award in recognition of his continuous commitment to mission. Msgr. Meyers was the Director of LMH and the Director (and Associate Director) of the Mission Office in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles for 16 years.  For several years, he has been the chaplain and a spiritual advisor for LMH. Currently, Msgr. Meyers is the pastor of St. James Church in Redondo Beach.  Founded in Los Angeles by Msgr. Anthony Brouwers in 1955, LMH has sent over 750 lay Catholic professionals to serve in mission in 36 countries.  As they honor Msgr. Meyers, they will also share updates about their missionary service, formation program, and the impact of their work in mission dioceses – to name just a few elements of the event.  Also, LMH is inviting you to participate in their online Silent Auction which will complement the Gala. The Silent Auction will be open for bidding from October 10 to 18. It will offer a Safari Trip to South Africa, wine tastings, unique handicrafts from mission countries, gift card wallets, and other items. To participate, go to:

https://www.laymissionhelpers.org/gala

and click on the “VIRTUAL GALA” or “SILENT AUCTION” button.  Join LMH in honoring Msgr. Meyers and at the same time support the missionary service of this lay Catholic association!

11.       Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  Calendar of Upcoming Events

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 16 - MONDAY, OCTOBER 18
2021 Parliament of the World’s Religions

The 2021 Parliament of the World’s Religions, hosted virtually for the first time in history, will provide attendees this October 16 - 18 with a unique opportunity to experience the offerings of the global interfaith movement together online.

The Opening Plenary will be hosted on Saturday evening, October 16, and be followed by regional programming. Sunday, October 17 will feature the first full day of programming, with plenaries and breakout sessions, as well as regional and flexible programming. Monday, October 18 will feature final plenaries and breakout sessions. The event will be hosted in Central US time, coinciding with the location of the Parliament headquarters in Chicago, but provides offerings for time zones around the world.

To explore the schedule, please visit:
parliamentofreligions.org/blog/explore-2021-parliament-schedule<http://parliamentofreligions.org/blog/explore-2021-parliament-schedule>

General admission to the virtual 2021 Parliament is $90.
Student admission is $10. For more information and to register, please visit:
parliamentofreligions.org/2021-parliament-worlds-religions-registration<http://parliamentofreligions.org/2021-parliament-worlds-religions-registration>

For questions, please contact the Parliament of the World’s Religions at (312) 629-2990 or via email at info at parliamentofreligions.org<mailto:info at parliamentofreligions.org>.

12.       Office of Diaconate Formation:  Virtual Information Day, Sunday, October 17

The Office of Diaconate Formation invites all men considering the permanent diaconate to a Virtual Information Day on Sunday, October 17, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  If married, their wives are also invited to attend.  There will be presentations in English and Spanish, and there will be time for questions and answers.  If interested, please contact Dn. Melecio Zamora at:

dmz2011 at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:dmz2011 at la-archdiocese.org>

Dn. Melecio has the Zoom link for the event.

13.       LMU Center for Religion and Spirituality: Faith and Ministry Formation Opportunities in English y Español

The Center sponsors certificate programs, courses, workshops and webinars for the public in spirituality, theology and pastoral ministry. El Centro patrocina programas certificados, cursos, talleres y seminarios para el público en espiritualidad, teología y pastoral.
Web: https://crs.lmu.edu
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/lmucrs

Online Certificate Program: Parish Business Administration
Classes begin tomorrow, September 18
This year-long program is designed for professionals, aspiring professionals, or volunteers with responsibility for the financial and temporal affairs of a parish.
More Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/pba

Webinar: “El rol del laico en el cuidado pastoral” con Ernesto Zamora, M.Div.
Jueves, 23 de septiembre, 7 p.m.
Te invitamos a una discusion acerca de la importancia del rol del laico en el cuidado pastoral como un ministerio de suma importancia en nuestra iglesia.
Más info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/webinar-cuidado-pastoral

Programa certificado en línea: Cuidado Pastoral
Clases comienza el 13 de octobre en línea
Este programa de un año está diseñado para profesionales y voluntarios al servicio directo de los que sufren, así como para aquellos que se sienten llamados a la pastoral.
Más info: https://crs.lmu.edu/espanol/programas/cuidado

Online Workshop: "On Music, Death and Dying: How to Approach Funeral Liturgies as a Music Minister or Liturgy Director" with John Flaherty
Saturday, October 30, 9 a.m.
This workshop for music ministers, liturgy coordinators, and others offers an opportunity to build or sharpen the skills necessary to meet and accompany the bereaved through the rituals of the Order of Christian Funerals.
More Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/funeral-rite-workshop

Taller en línea: “Libro de Lamentaciones: Soy yo Señor, con mi esperanza rota” con Elsy Arévalo
Jueves, 4 de noviembre, 7 p.m.
El taller, está inspirado en el Libro de lamentaciones, y va dirigido a toda persona que necesite profundizar en su relación con Dios y nutrir su experiencia de búsqueda constante del Dios que nunca falla. Especialmente está dirigido a personas en el liderazgo eclesial, que se enfrentan con el reto de dar razón de su esperanza en medio del dolor y el duelo ante las perdidas.
Más info: https://registration.xenegrade.com/lmucrs/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=7337

Online Certificate Program: Pastoral Care
Classes begin Thursday, November 18
This year-long program is designed for professionals and volunteers in direct service of those suffering, as well as those who feel called to pastoral care ministry.
More Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/pastoralcare

Online Workshop: "The Inner Journey: Finding the Treasure Within" with Rev. James Clarke, Ph.D.
Wednesday, December 1, 7 p.m.
This four-part workshop will help participants to uncover some traditional ways of entering the interior sanctum of the soul. Each session will offer some input, stories, prayer forms and time for reflection and specific opportunities to do your own inner work.
More Info: https://cal.lmu.edu/event/the-inner-journey-workshop

Pilgrimage to Spain
May 13-22, 2022
The Center and the Loyola Institute for Spirituality invite you to mark this Ignatian Year, commemorating 500 years since the conversion of St. Ignatius of Loyola, by walking in the footsteps of St. Ignatius at the historic and sacred sites of Spain.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/programs/journeys/spain/

Peregrinación a España
13-22 de mayo de 2022
El Centro y el Loyola Institute for Spirituality lo invitan a conmemorar los 500 años de la conversión de San Ignacio de Loyola, siguiendo las huellas de este santo en los lugares históricos y sagrados de España.
Info: https://crs.lmu.edu/espanol/programas/viajes/espana/

14.       Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino:  Calendar of New Events

Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino is an interfaith Retreat Center offering an array of day and weekend classes, groups, and retreats. We also rent our facility to outside groups to hold their own retreats. We offer spiritual direction and space for private time available.  Please check our website:

www.hsrcenter.com<http://www.hsrcenter.com>

for more detailed information and registration.

SERIES & ONGOING PROGRAMS

-Labyrinth Walks:  September 22, 9am-5pm, 7-9 pm; December 21, 7-9pm

-International Thomas Merton Society Chapter Meetings: Third Sundays, 2-4pm

-Women at the Well: Tuesdays, 10am-12noon, October 12, November 9, December 14

-Virtual Centering Prayer: Thursdays on Zoom, 10am -12noon

ONE DAY RETREATS (Saturdays)

-Art and Soul of Journaling: September 18, 10am-3pm

-Rumi: Sufi Poet and Mystic & the Religion of Love: September 25, 9:30am-3:30pm

-Centering Prayer Introductory Workshop: October 2, 9am-12:30pm

-Alleluia Dance Theatre, Revolutionary Love: October 16, 9am-3:30pm

-Conscious Aging, Death Makes Life Possible, Surrender & Letting Go: October 30, 9:30-3pm

-Art of Letting Go through Sacred Collage: November 6, 9am-4pm

-Introduction to the Scriptures: November 13, 10am-2pm

-Spiritual Doorways, Welcoming the Sacred into a Covid World: November 20, 9:30am-3:30pm

-Advent Silent Saturday, Centering Prayer and Silence: December 4, 9am-12noon

-An Advent Day of Poetry, Music & Mandala Making: December 4, 9:30am-3:30pm

-Advent Vespers and Harp Concert: Sunday, December 19, 7pm

EXTENDED RETREATS

-Centering Prayer Weekend Retreat with Fr. Stephen Coffey, OSB, Cam: October 22-24

-Advent Film Festival, The Grace, Mercy & Joy of Christmas Movies with Rev. Mark Villano, SP MFA: December 12-15

-New Years Retreat, Restoring Faith in the Human Race with Sr. Chris Machado & Michael O’Palco: December 30-January 1

CONTACT INFORMATION

4316 Lanai Rd., Encino, CA 91436
Phone: 818-784-4515 Fax: 818-784-0409
E-mail: officemanager at hsrcenter.com<mailto:officemanager at hsrcenter.com>

15.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Upcoming and Ongoing Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes has updated its website.  Find it at:

www.maryjoseph.org<http://www.maryjoseph.org>

Bring Your Own Group on Retreat in 2021.  Mary and Joseph Retreat Center is now taking reservations to host groups.  Call to reserve their facilities and customize retreat time to fit your needs.  The Center are following local directives for health and safety, and numbers will be limited to allow for social distancing.  The Center has availability for groups to hold both day and overnight retreats.  Please call to find out more about their new guidelines and reserve a time for your retreat.  For information and reservations, contact Sydne Yanko-Jongbloed, at 310.377.4867, x258 or at:

sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org<mailto:sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org>

They are also sponsoring the following events:

Part 13 of the Spirituality Series with Herb Kaighan
Forgiveness: A Decision to Release
Fred Luskin, PhD & Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, September 25, 2021 10:00am to 1:00pm  Remote Via Zoom (PST)
Bill Wilson (cofounder of AA) discusses forgiveness - he calls it “letting go of resentment”. It’s not done to please others, but in the interest of freedom - theirs and ours. A life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness. Learn about the process of forgiveness, what it is and what it is not and how to release resentment. “A forgiving person has no past ~ an unforgiving person has no future” Herb Kaighan, 2016.
Fred Luskin, PhD, is the director of the Stanford University Forgiveness Projects, a senior consultant in health promotion at Stanford University, and a professor at the Institute for Transpersonal Psychology, as well as an affiliate faculty member of the Greater Good Science Center. He is the author of “Forgive for Good: A Proven Prescription for Health and Happiness” and also “Stress Free for Good: Ten Proven Life Skills for Health and Happiness”, with Kenneth Pelletier, PhD. Learn more at www.learningtoforgive.com<http://www.learningtoforgive.com>
Herb K’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, 37 years of active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship and the publication of 3 books on spiritual awakening. The Spirituality Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
Donation: $25  Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/forgiveness-a-decision-to-release-2/>

Part 14 of the Spirituality Series with Herb Kaighan
Meditation & Contemplation: Practice of Intentional Consciousness
James Finley, PhD & Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Guide
Saturday, October 2, 2021 10:00am to 1:00pm  Remote Via Zoom (PST)
Are Prayer and Meditation important to you? Do you have a daily practice? Are you confused about Prayer, Meditation, Mindfulness, Contemplation and Centering Prayer ~ what are they and how to do them? Would you like to learn about each of these through experience? These are all practices of conscious contact with the “Mystery”. Come experience a way of improving your relationship with “God” to improve your consciousness.
As a contemplative practitioner and clinical psychologist, James Finley helps seekers who desire to live a contemplative, whole life. Drawing from his experience as a former monk and spiritual directee of Thomas Merton, Jim offers trustworthy guidance for the spiritual journey. He serves as a core faculty member at the Center for Action and Contemplation where with Cynthia Bourgeault and Richard Rohr. Jim is the author of several books, including “Merton’s Palace of Nowhere”, “The Contemplative Heart” & “Christian Meditation”. Herb’s journey includes: 7 years in Claretian seminary, a graduate education in psychology, 40 years in human resources consulting, certification as a Spiritual Director, 37 years of active participation in a 12 Step Fellowship and the publication of 3 books on spiritual awakening. The Spirituality Series is a Fundraiser for Mary & Joseph Retreat Center
Donation: $25  Zoom information and links will be emailed to you a few days before each event.
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/meditation-contemplation-practice-of-intentional-consciousness/>

Sacred Expressions: Sacred Geometry Art & Meditation
Laurie Wallace
Saturday, October 9, 2021  9:00am to Noon
This creative workshop will introduce basic concepts of Sacred Geometry using art techniques to enhance art-making as meditation.  Sacred Geometry is an ancient science that explores our relationship to natural universal patterns and geometric shapes which unify our world.  Together we will create works of art/meditation based on the mandala, the spiral and the golden ratio.  All materials, handouts and supplies will be provided.  No previous art experience is required. Laurie Wallace is a Deacon wife, parish volunteer, co-facilitator of a woman’s prayer group, graphic designer, ceramicist and has taught art to children and the elderly.
Cost: $40 per person (all materials included)
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/sacred-geometry-art-meditation/>

God is Love: At the Heart of All Creation ~ Centering Prayer Retreat
Stephen Coffey, OSB Cam
6:00pm Friday, October 22 to 1:30pm Sunday, October 24, 2021
This retreat is based on the latest work of Cistercian Abbot Thomas Keating, founder of Contemplative Outreach. We will view selected videos from his series God is Love: The Heart of All Creation. Themes to be explored include: Cosmology; Human Evolution; Christ, Evolution and All Creation; Into Unity Consciousness; and Surrendering to Love.  In addition to time for personal reflection, retreatants will practice centering prayer for 30 min. three times each day, and evenings will be devoted to the practice of visio divina on paintings by artist William Congdon correlating with the themes of the day. Stephen Coffey is a monk of the Camaldolese Benedictine Congregation engaged in ministries of spiritual direction, retreats, and adult faith formation. He lives at the Monastery of the Risen Christ in San Luis Obispo.
Cost: per person/shared $250; single $350; commuter $160
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/god-is-love-at-the-heart-of-all-creation/>

Weekend Healing Retreat with Fr. Pat Crowley, SSCC
“Choose Life Then... That You & Your Descendants May Live” ~ Deuter: 30.19
6pm Friday, October 29 to 1:30pm Sunday, October 31, 2021
“The word road sums up one of the deepest experiences of human beings as they confront the task of life. Life is never a given, it is always a task, something that  must must be done and carried out. We do not live simply by not dying. We walk toward life. To live is to walk. Walking assumes that there is a road.” ~ Leonardo Boff. This retreat will focus on the “the gift of life,” “the suffering of the human condition,” and God's “compassionate love” in Jesus. It will be a time of prayer, healing and reconciliation. Fr. Crowley, is a member of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts in the Western Region of the United States Province. He has been actively involved in the Healing Ministry for over forty years. Presently, he resides at the Community House in California.
Cost: per person/shared $250; single $350; commuter $160
Event page on website<https://maryjoseph.org/event/weekend-healing-retreat-2/>

Ongoing Programs Via Zoom:

Centering Prayer Group
Centering Prayer is a practice to foster our relationship with God.  It is a movement beyond conversation to communion with God.  Come and pray with us.  The Mary and Joseph Retreat Center Centering Prayer group will meet on Zoom on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays each month from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).  Contact Herb Kaighan to register.  Donation.  He is at:

herbk12 at hotmail.com<mailto:herbk12 at hotmail.com>

Gratefulness Gathering with Christine Sanchirico
3rd Thursday of each month in 2021 via Zoom 4-5:30 PM (PST)
Experience, deepen, and share the power of living gratefully.  Gratefulness Gatherings are an opportunity to cultivate a space where we can explore grateful living as an orientation to life.  All are welcome to join our monthly Gratefulness Gatherings online via Zoom. We will meet on the 3rd Thursday each from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Pacific Time). Contact Christine Sanchirico for more information and to register at csanchirico at maryjoseph.org<mailto:csanchirico at maryjoseph.org>. Cost: Donation

For more information about any of these events, please call 310-377-4867 or access:

http://www/maryjoseph.org

16.       Office of Marriage and Family Life:  Marriage Preparation Zoom Sessions in English and Spanish

The Office of Marriage and Family Life is offering a one-day Marriage Preparation Zoom session in English and Spanish.  This is for engaged couples and convalidation couples.  Cost is $100 per couple, and registration is required.  Once the registration process is complete, the Zoom link will be sent.

For English sessions, please contact Candy Metoyer at 213-637-7250 or at:
cmetoyer at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:cmetoyer at la-archdiocese.org>

For English, the dates are:

September 18, 25*
October 2, 9*, 16, 23
November 6, 13*, 20
December 4, 11*

* For convalidation couples only

La Oficina de Matrimonio y  Familia ofrece sesiones Virtuales de Preparación Matrimonial para parejas comprometidas y parejas de convalidación. El costo de registración es de $100 por pareja. Para registrarse por favor comuníquese con: Graciela Villalobos 213-637-7561

gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:gvillalobos at la-archdiocese.org>.

Preparación Matrimonial en Español, Sesiones a través de Zoom

Septiembre 18, 26
Octubre 2, 9, 17, 23, 30
Noviembre 6, 13, 21
Diciembre 4, 11

This information is brought to you as a service of the Operations Department of the Archdiocesan Catholic Center in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, California.  If you would like to invite others to subscribe to the ACC Newsbriefs, please forward this issue to them and they can follow the directions below.  The same direction is given to those who wish to unsubscribe.

Subscribing and unsubscribing can be done at:

Please send questions or submissions to:

Eileen E. O’Brien
213-637-7618<tel:213-637-7618>
EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:EEOBrien at la-archdiocese.org>

Please do not send questions or submissions by replying to the ACC Newsbriefs.