[Newsbriefs] ACC Newsbriefs - March 6, 2015

ADLA NewsBriefs newsbriefs at lists.la-archdiocese.org
Fri Mar 6 10:08:12 PST 2015

ACC Newsbriefs - March 6, 2015

Welcome to ACC Newsbriefs from the Archdiocesan Catholic Center (ACC) in Los Angeles. This weekly update (issued each Friday) brings news about the latest ministries, resources, events, workshops, etc. of the ACC departments and other entities. For more general information, please check the Archdiocesan website at:

http://www.la-archdiocese.org

New This Week:

  1.       Southern California Renewal Communities:  More Events on the Calendar

  2.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  More Events on the Calendar

  3.       Sacred Heart Retreat Center in Alhambra:  More Events on the Calendar

Important Information and Continuing Events:

  4.       Catholic Relief Services and the Office of Life, Justice, and Peace:  CRS Rice Bowl During Lent

  5.       Catholic Relief Services, Oregon Catholic Press, and St. Monica's Church in Santa Monica:  Concert and Program, Friday, March 6, in Santa Monica

  6.       Parishioners Federal Credit Union:  Offerings for Members of Catholic Institutions

  7.       Office of Restorative Justice:  March is Juvenile Justice Month of Faith and Healing

  8.       St. Andrew's Abbey in Valyermo:  Private Weekday Lenten Retreats Available through Thursday, April 2

  9.       Dive-In University Series South:  Workshops in South Bay and Long Beach through Thursday, March 19

10.       Religious Education Congress:  Friday, March 13, through Sunday, March 15, in Anaheim

11.       Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles:  Estate Planning Workshops, Sunday, March 22, and Sunday, May 3

12.       Mission Doctors Association:  Annual Retreat for Doctors Considering Overseas Mission Work, Friday, March 27, through Sunday, March 29, in Los Angeles

13.       Fr. Kolbe Missionaries of the Immaculata in West Covina:  Annual Conference on Saturday, March 28

14.       Diaconate Formation Office: Information Meeting for Men Interested in the Permanent Diaconate, Sunday, April 12, in Westlake Village

15.       Mission San Jose Dominicans:  Religious Life Information Day for Single Catholic Women, Sunday, April 19, in Anaheim

16.       Parents Helping Parents:  Instructors' Training, Monday, May 25 through Friday, May 29; and Monday, June 15, through Friday, June 19, in Los Angeles

17.       Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University:  Calendar of Events

18.       Southern California Renewal Communities in Burbank:  Calendar of Events

19.       Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino:  Calendar of Events

20.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Events

21.       Sacred Heart Retreat House in Alhambra:  Calendar of Events

22.       Serra Retreat Center in Malibu:  Calendar of Events

New This Week:

1.         Southern California Renewal Communities:  More Events on the Calendar

The Southern California Renewal Communities (SCRC) is sponsoring the following events:

"Praying Divine Mercy On Our Families:  Healing the Family Tree."  Saturday, April 11, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with Fr. Michael Barry, SS.CC., Fr. Bill Delaney, S.J., and Mr. Dominic Berardino.  This event will be held in Glendale at Holy Family Grade School Auditorium, which is located at 400 S. Louise Ave. in Glendale [enter from Lomita Ave.].  Topics: Healing the Harmful Effects of Ancestral Sin; How to Pray for the Deceased; Breaking Bondages Over Generations.  The day will conclude with Mass for Healing Your Family Tree.  Cost for this event is $25 per person (if paid in full through Monday, March 30); $35 per person after Monday, March 30, or at the door.  Online registration is available at:

http://www.scrc.org

"Power in Praise":  Advanced Workshop for Growth in Prayer Tongues.  Sunday, April 26, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., with Mr. Dominic Berardino.  This event will be held at the SCRC Center, located at 9795 Cabrini Dr., Suite 209, in Burbank.  Topics will be:  The Beauty of Spiritual Language; The Distinctions Between Speaking and Praying in Tongues; The Charisms of Tongues in the Lives of the Saints.  Cost for this workshop is $10 per person. Register online, by mail, or at the door.  Online registration is available at:

http://www.scrc.org

SCRC's offices are also available at (818) 771-1361.

2.         Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  More Events on the Calendar

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes is sponsoring the following events:

"From the Way of the Cross to the Way of Resurrection" with Fr. Ken Deasy.  Saturday, March 21, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm includes Mass.  Participants are invited to come and learn about 'Rising and living Risen' and 'Keeping out of the Tomb'.  Many are familiar with the Catholic tradition of following the "way of Jesus to the Cross".  Now Fr. Deasy will explore the "Way of Jesus to the Resurrection, Resurrected and Resurrecting."  The retreat includes a multimedia presentation created by Fr. Deasy, as well as quiet time, and it concludes with Mass.  Lunch included.  Cost: $55 ($50 if paid in full by Friday, March 13).
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/3-21%20Deasy%20tear%20web.pdf

Click here for online registration
http://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=12462

"Spice Up Your Spiritual Life with Five Special Ingredients" with Rev. Jim Clarke Ph.D.  7:00 pm Friday, April 10, to 1:30 pm Sunday, April 12.
>From time to time one's spiritual life can become anemic and less-than-satisfying.  Perhaps one needs to spice it up a bit!  In this retreat participants will learn how to integrate and practice five energizing aspects for a more abundant spiritual life.  Participants are invited to come and experience a new way of encountering God with five special ingredients to add to one's spiritual life!  Cost: per person/shared room $230 ($215 if paid in full by Friday, March 20); single room $325 ($310 if paid in full by Friday, March 20)
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://maryjoseph.org/pdfs/4-10%20Clarke%20Spice%20tear%20web.pdf

Click here for online registration
http://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=12463

Easter Sunday Brunch.  Sunday, April 5, from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm.  Participants are invited to a delicious buffet brunch to celebrate Easter with family and friends.  Reservations required by Tuesday, March 31.  Cost: Adult $26; Children ages 4 through 12 $13; Children under age 4 Free.

Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/4-5%20Easter%20Flyer%20tear.pdf

Click here for online registration

http://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=13938

A Taste of "At the Table" with Ms. Annette Lenneman, Executive Director of Mary and Joseph Retreat Center.  Sunday, April 12, from 2:00 to 4:00 pm.  This event will include appetizers paired with great wine, providing a sneak preview of "At the Table," the Center's wine and food pairing dinner, set for Saturday, July 25.  Participants will enjoy wines selected by the Wine Shoppe and paired with appetizers prepared by the Retreat Center's talented kitchen staff.  "At the Table" wine and food pairing tickets will be available that day for $100 per person (regular price $125).  Sponsored by the Mary and Joseph Retreat Center, the Mary and Joseph League, and the Wine Shoppe.  Cost: $20 if paid before Tuesday, April 7; or $25 at the door.
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/4-12%20ATT%20tear%20web.pdf

Click here for online registration
http://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=13936

"The Evolving Grace of the Mother/Child Covenant" with Fr. Ken Deasy.  Saturday, May 9, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.  "Behold your mother; behold your son."  This days provides mothers and their adult children the opportunity to talk about "where we've gone and where we're going" and the Evolving Covenant of being a Mother, a retired mother and being the Fruit of your mother's womb.  Fr. Deasy invites mothers and their adult children to spend the day before Mother's Day renewing, reconciling, and reaffirming that living bond as they move forward in the mother-child-covenant.  The retreat includes quiet time and concludes with Mass.  Lunch included.  Cost: $55 ($50 if paid in full by Friday, May 1).
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/5-9%20Deasy%20Mom%20tear%20web.pdf

Click here for online registration
http://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=13939

More information is available at (310) 377-4867 or at:

http://www.maryjoseph.org

3.         Sacred Heart Retreat Center in Alhambra:  More Events on the Calendar

Sacred Heart Retreat Center in Alhambra is sponsoring the following events:

"The Divine Comedy, Part III, Paradiso."  Sr. Jeannine Marie, O.C.S. will present the third and final part of Dante's epic poem, "The Divine Comedy."  It will take place on Tuesdays from April 7 through May 26, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.  This event is free and open to the public; however, donations are gratefully accepted.  For more information, please contact Sr. Jeannine Marie, O.C.D., at (626) 289-1353 ext. 210.

"PETRUS Youth Conference."  Saturday, April 25, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  All high school groups (including youth groups, confirmation classes, and Life Teen participants) as well as individual teenagers, are invited to the Carmelite Sisters' PETRUS Youth Conference.  A number of speakers will show participants how to be on fire with God's love and to keep that flame burning.  Cost is $5 per person.  Lunch and dinner are included.  Attendance is limited to 200 people, so early registration is recommended.  To register, either individually or as a group, please contact Sr. Carmelina, O.C.D., at (626) 289-1353, ext. 302.

Important Information and Continuing Events:

4.         Catholic Relief Services and the Office of Life, Justice, and Peace:  CRS Rice Bowl During Lent

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles actively supports CRS Rice Bowl, a Lenten program sponsored by Catholic Relief Services (CRS), the U.S. Catholic Church's international emergency and hunger relief agency.  CRS Rice Bowl's Lenten Program is conducted in Catholic parishes and schools throughout the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and across the country.  Although primarily a family faith formation and global solidarity initiative, funds raised go directly to address hunger and poverty needs internationally and locally.  Seventy-five percent of funds raised are used for CRS' international hunger relief efforts.  Twenty-five percent are distributed in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles to meet basic needs that address hunger and poverty locally.  (Local agencies that would like to apply for a CRS grant can do so through Jaime Huerta of the Office of Life, Justice, and Peace.  His contact information is below.)

Individuals, parishes, and schools are invited to join the 40-year transformational Lenten tradition of putting faith into action.  Their prayers, efforts to learn about global poverty, and financial contributions better the lives of people abroad living in poverty through:

Water and sanitation projects
Mother and child health programs
Agricultural support to improve harvests
Educational resources
Micro-finance loans for small business

Educational materials and instructional and informational videos are available at:

http://www.crsricebowl.org

One of the Lenten videos was made by Abp. José H. Gomez, along with other videos with other prominent Catholics.  Access them all at:

http://www.crsricebowl.org/what-is-lent/

Locally, the Global Solidarity Action Team of the Office of Life, Justice and Peace will support your parish or school Rice Bowl program with training and resources.  To request such assistance, direction, and resources, please access:

mailto:LARiceBowl at gmail.com

For any questions or for more information, please contact either:

Jaime Huerta
Office of Life, Justice, and Peace
(213) 637-7560
mailto:JAHuerta at la-archdiocese.org

or

Sergio Lopez
Catholic Relief Services
(213) 529-0827
mailto:sergio.lopez at crs.org

5.         Catholic Relief Services, Oregon Catholic Press, and St. Monica's Church in Santa Monica:  "Bring Lent to Life" Concert and Program, Friday, March 6, in Santa Monica

St. Monica's Church in Santa Monica, along with Oregon Catholic Press, is hosting a Concert and Program, "Bring Lent to Life," to support Catholic Relief Services and its CRS Rice Bowl Program during Lent.  On Friday, March 6, there will be food trucks at the parish with food available for purchase from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  There will also be Stations of the Cross in the church at 6:30 p.m.  At 8:00 p.m., there will be a concert by Mr. Ben Walther, worship leader and recording artist for Oregon Catholic Press; and a program with Mr. Thomas Awiapo, CRS speaker originally from Ghana.  The concert and program are free and open to the public; however, donations will be gratefully accepted.  For more information, please access:

http://www.stmonica.net/crsricebowl

For those unable to attend, the concert and program will be livestreamed at:

http://www.stmonica.net/live

6.         Parishioners Federal Credit Union:  Offerings for Members of Catholic Institutions

In 1961, Msgr. James O'Gorman, pastor of St. James Parish in Redondo Beach, founded Parishioners Federal Credit Union.  In the intervening 50+ years, it has grown to be the largest Catholic-affiliated credit union in the State of California.  It offers loans for new and used cars, mortgages, home equity lines of credit, signature loans, checking accounts, savings accounts, and more.  It has special offerings for children, including drawings for an iPod Shuffle for good report card grades, savings accounts, and first checking accounts for teenagers.  All parishioners in the San Pedro Pastoral Region are eligible to join, along with all teachers at parochial elementary schools throughout the Archdiocese.  People associated with other select Catholic organizations (such as Bishop Montgomery High School and Catholic Charities) are also eligible to join.  Please note, while serving people affiliated with Catholic institutions, Parishioners Federal Credit Union is not run by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles nor is it controlled by the Catholic Church.  It is governed by the National Credit Union Administration and has to follow its strict financial guidelines.  Currently, and through the end of April, it is offering its "Feel the Love" campaign, offering personal loans with rates as low as 6.75% annual percentage rate.  For more information, please call toll-free to (888) 397-5111 or access:

http://www.parishionersfcu.org

7.         Office of Restorative Justice:  March is Juvenile Justice Month of Faith and Healing

The Office of Restorative Justice is one of the endorsing organizations for March as the Juvenile Justice Month of Faith and Healing.  This is an annual event that unites congregations of all faith traditions, high schools, and universities in California to raise awareness of individual, community, and social needs arising from the current juvenile justice system.  The month is a time for people to open their hearts and minds through prayer, education, service, and advocacy.  The events through the month will initiate a dialogue between offenders, victims, and the community regarding the causes of crime and will suggest structures needed to prevent youth from becoming engaged in the cycle of violence.  The long-term goal of Juvenile Justice Month of Faith and Healing is to offer young offenders hope and alternatives to a lifetime as a hardened criminal, while society implements more fully the principles of restorative justice.  For more information, please access:

http://healingjusticecoalition.org/juvenile_justice_week.html

The Office of Restorative Justice is also available at (213) 438-4820.

8.         St. Andrew's Abbey in Valyermo:  Private Weekday Lenten Retreats Available through Thursday, April 2

St. Andrew's Abbey is offering a discounted price for weekday (Monday through Friday) retreats during Lent.  Cost is $50 per person per night for a single room, including meals.  (That is 1/3 off the regularly-suggested donation of $75).  For two people sharing a room, the cost is $45 per person per night, including meals.  Retreatants are invited to enjoy the quiet of the desert abbey, and also to join the monks for liturgies (including Mass) and meals.  For questions, or to make a reservation, please contact the Abbey Guest House at (661) 944-2178 or at:

mailto:retreats at valyermo.com

More information is also available on the Abbey's website at:

http://www.valyermoretreats.com

9.         Dive-In University Series South:  Workshops in South Bay and Long Beach through Thursday, March 19

The parishes in Deanery 19 (South Bay) and Deanery 20 (Long Beach) are collaborating on a series of adult faith formation workshops open to all.  Held at various parishes through Thursday, March 19, these evening workshops cover a variety of topics, including Scripture, Vatican II, annulments, end of life issues, ecumenism, ministry to the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community, prayer, icons, and liturgy.  Each workshop lasts one evening and costs $5.  With each $5 ticket, the person is also able to bring a guest at no additional charge.  There is also a series pass for $25 which allows access for that person and one guest to any and all workshops.  No pre-registration is required.  For a list of topics, locations, and speakers, please access:

http://diveinuss.org

10.       Religious Education Congress:  Friday, March 13, through Sunday, March 15, in Anaheim

The Los Angeles Religious Education Congress will be held at the Anaheim Convention Center from Friday, March 13, through Sunday, March 15.  It includes over 280 workshops covering a wide variety of topics including biblical studies and catechesis, spirituality, music, and personal development in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese; exhibits; liturgies; entertainment; and much more.  Cost is $80 per person (whether for one day, two days, or all three days).  People can register now online at:

http://www.recongress.org

The Congress Office is also available at (213) 637-7346.

11.       Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles:  Estate Planning Workshops, Sunday, March 22, and Sunday, May 3

The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, in conjunction with local attorneys, is sponsoring an Estate Planning Workshop, "Leaving a Legacy-Estate Planning at its Best."  This workshop will be held four times (three times in English and once in Spanish).  Each workshop will include topics such as living trusts, estate taxes, wills, advance directives (for health care and financial affairs), and charitable giving.  They will be held as follows:
Sunday, March 22, at 11:15 a.m., with attorney Mr. Allan M. Soto
Sunday, March 22, at 1:45 p.m., with attorney Mr. Allan M. Soto (in Spanish)
Sunday, May 3, at 9:15 a.m., with attorney Mr. Edward R. Cainglit

Sunday, May 3, at 11:15 a.m., with attorney Mr. Leo Herrera
All of these workshops will be held at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angeles in Los Angeles (Conference Center, Rooms 7 and 8).  These workshops are free and open to the public; however, reservations are requested.  For reservations or questions, please contact Sr. Christine Bowman, O.S.F., Director of Cathedral Relations, at (213) 680-5219 or at:

mailto:cbowman at olacathedral.org

12.       Mission Doctors Association:  Annual Retreat for Doctors Considering Overseas Mission Work, Friday, March 27, through Sunday, March 29, in Los Angeles

The Mission Doctors Association is holding its annual retreat from Friday, March 27, through Sunday, March 29, on the campus of Loyola Marymount University.  Catholic doctors and their spouses considering mission work are invited to pray, reflect, and hear from other Catholic doctors who have served both long- and short-term assignments at mission hospitals and clinics.  For more information, please access:

http://www.MissionDoctors.org

or contact the office at:

mailto:info at missiondoctors.org

13.       Fr. Kolbe Missionaries of the Immaculata in West Covina:  Annual Conference on Saturday, March 28

The Fr. Kolbe Missionaries of the Immaculata are sponsoring their annual conference on Saturday, March 28, from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  The theme is "Mission Today:  The Catholic Caretaker:  Contemplation and Action."  There will be a number of speakers exploring contemporary issues:  Mr. Valvincent Reyes will present on "Managing Compassion Fatigue"; Ms. Jillian Cooke will present on "Boundaries in Caretaking"; and Ms. Ann O'Donnell will present on "Caretaking with Christ."  The event will be held at St. Christopher Parish in West Covina.  Cost is $35 per person, and that includes lunch.  For questions or reservations, please contact the Missionaries at (626) 917-0040 or at:

mailto:FKMissionaries at gmail.com

More information is available on the Fr. Kolbe Missionaries of the Immaculata at:

http://www.kolbemission.org/en

14.       Diaconate Formation Office:  Information Meeting for Men Interested in the Permanent Diaconate, Sunday, April 12, in Westlake Village

The Diaconate Formation Office will be hosting an information meeting for all men who are interested in finding out more about becoming a permanent deacon in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.  Members of the Archdiocesan Diaconate Formation Office will be present to explain the role of the deacon in the Church, to explain the Diaconate Formation Program, and to answer any questions that participants might have.  Men must be between the ages of 30 and 60 years to enter the formation program.  It is important for men who are married to attend with their wives.  The next information meeting will be held on Sunday April 12, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., at St. Maximilian Kolbe Parish (5801 Kanan Road, Westlake Village, CA  91362).  For further information, please contact Mrs. Claudia A. Ortiz in the Diaconate Formation Office at (213) 637-7383 or at:

mailto: CAOrtiz at la-archdiocese.org<mailto:mailto:%20CAOrtiz at la-archdiocese.org>

15.       Mission San Jose Dominicans:  Religious Life Information Day for Single Catholic Women, Sunday, April 19, in Anaheim

Single Catholic women, ages 18 through 40, who are considering religious life are invited to a Religious Life Information Day with the Mission San Jose Dominicans.  It will be held on Sunday, April 19, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., at St. Catherine's Priory, 215 N. Harbor Blvd., Anaheim, CA  92805.  Online registration is available at:

http://www.msjdominicans.org

or

http://www.bit.ly/discernRLife

For more information, please contact Sr. Mary Yun, O.P., at (213) 760-3085.

16.       Parents Helping Parents:  Instructors' Training, Monday, May 25 through Friday, May 29; and Monday, June 15, through Friday, June 19, in Los Angeles

Parents Helping Parents, founded by Sr. Ines Telles, C.S.J., helps parents communicate in a healthy, peaceful, and effective way with their children.  Some parishes use this program as part of marriage preparation, or for parents whose children are receiving their Sacraments of Initiation.  There will soon be a training for new instructors.  It will be held at 4850 Civic Center Way, Los Angeles, CA  90022.  English training will be from Monday, May 25 (Memorial Day), through Friday, May 29.  Spanish training will be from Monday, June 15, through Friday, June 19.  The training will be from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day.  Cost is $350 per person for registrations received through Tuesday, March 31.  After Tuesday, March 31, registration is $450 per person.  Registration includes an instructor's manual, parent workbook, evaluation material, and a certificate of completion at the end.  For more information or registration, please contact:

Ms. Veronica Jauregui, Supervisor of Parents Helping Parents
(323) 261-5767
mailto:veronicaj at seacharter.net

Sr. Ines Talles, C.S.J., Founder of Parents Helping Parents
(213) 480-4238
mailto:itelles at seacharter.net

17.       Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University:  Calendar of Events

The Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University is sponsoring the following events:

Please note:  This session will be conducted in Spanish.  "La Libertad Moral de un Cristiano:  Reconociendo la Fuerza de la Conciencia Humana" con Rev. Benedict Nwachukwu-Udaku.  Sabado, 7 de marzo, de 9am a 12pm.  El redescubriendo del valor de la conciencia en las cuestiones morales de hoy nos ofrece los fundamentos y las categorías más importantes para responder a los problemas morales de nuestro siglo sobre todo en el campo de moral sexual.  $25 por persona.

http://cal.lmu.edu/event/lmux150307

"The Interior Castle:  A Path Towards God" with Dr. James Finley.  Saturday, March 21, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  In this retreat experience, participants will explore St. Teresa of Avila's classic work The Interior Castle, allowing her to guide participants through the mansions of their own souls, until coming to the seventh and innermost mansion, in which God lives.  An emphasis will be given to the actual experience of the challenges, potential stuck places, and mystical awakenings that people experience in this interior journey through their own souls to discover God within and beyond them, calling them to divine union.  Cost is $65.  For more information and registration, please access:

http://cal.lmu.edu/event/lmux150321

"Archetypes and Parables" with Mr. James Curtan.  Saturday, April 11, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.  An introduction to Jesus' use of symbolic language as a way to capture the attention and imagination of the listener.  This morning of discussion and reflection is an invitation to break open Jesus' symbolic language and in this way, hear and see in a new way the message they seek to reveal.  Cost is $25 per person.  For more information and registration, please access:

http://cal.lmu.edu/event/lmux150411

18.       Southern California Renewal Communities in Burbank:  Calendar of Events

The Southern California Renewal Communities (SCRC) is sponsoring this upcoming event.

SCRC Spring Conference, "Walking With Jesus:  The Joy of the Gospel."  Saturday, March 28, and Sunday, March 29, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. each day.  This event will be held at Santa Teresita Medical Center (Madonna Hall), 819 Buena Vista St. in Duarte.  There will be a series of workshops, Mass and a Healing Service on Saturday, and more workshops and a Palm Sunday Procession and Mass on Sunday.  Cost for early registration (through Monday, March 16):  one day (either day) is $22; both days are $40.  After Monday, March 16, registration costs:  one day (either day) is $27; both days are $50.  For a schedule of workshops and speakers, along with online registration, please access:

http://www.scrc.org

SCRC's offices are also available at (818) 771-1361.

19.       Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino:  Calendar of Events

Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino is sponsoring a number of one-day retreats, weekend retreats, and special events.  Find the complete calendar through 2015 at:

http://www.hsrcenter.com

20.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center is sponsoring the following events:

"And God Saw that it was Good"  Genesis: 1-3.  Sr. Nuala Briody, D.M.J.  Saturday, March 7, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  In Genesis 1-3 there is a recurring refrain, "And God saw that it was good."  He then entrusted the care of his good creation to humanity (Gen. 1:28).  Today there are other recurring refrains in the world addressing the critical state of God's creation.  In this workshop, participants will break open the meaning of "ecological conversion", a term coined by St. John Paul II, highlight the story of the universe, and the role within that story.  Lunch included.  Cost: $50.
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/3-1%20Eco%20Nuala%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration
http://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=12434

Spiritual Awakening:  The Promise of the 12 Step Process.  Mr. Herb Kaighan, Spiritual Director.  Saturday, March 14, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Alcoholics Anonymous developed a spirituality derived from a Twelve Step process as a solution to alcohol addiction.  Carl Jung had suggested "The Spirit is the antidote to spirits."  Bill Wilson states in the Big Book that "...our way of living has its advantages for All."  This presentation will be an overview of this 12 Step process.  The presenter will describe the purpose of each Step and the integration of all Steps as an effective means of personal transformation.  Participants will learn the precise application of these Steps to their own personal life (whether or not in a 12 Step Fellowship) and the practical use of these Steps in fostering their own personal spiritual life.  Cost: $20.
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/3-14%20Herb%20tear.pdf
Click here for online registration
http://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=12461

Dinner and a Movie.  Ms. Sydne Jongbloed.  Thursday, May 21.  Appetizers at 6:00 pm; Dinner at 6:30 pm; Movie at 7:30 pm.  All are invited to spend an evening enjoying dinner and a movie.  People can bring their own beverages.  For information call Sydne at (310) 377-4867 ext 258.  Cost: $22 per person ($20 per person if paid in full through Thursday, May 14).

21.       Sacred Heart Retreat House in Alhambra:  Calendar of Events

Sacred Heart Retreat House in Alhambra is offering the following programs:

Fatima for Today with Fr. Andrew Apostoli, C.F.R.  Saturday, March 7.  This First Saturday in March will be a special day at the St. Joseph Campus of Sacred Heart Retreat House-a Marian Day with Fr. Andrew Apostoli, C.F.R.  The day includes Conferences with him, Opportunities for Private Prayer, Adoration which includes the Rosary, Question and Answer Session, and Holy Mass.  The cost of the conference is $40 (or whatever one is able to pay) and includes continental breakfast and lunch.  For more information or to make a reservation, please call 626-289-1353 ext. 200 or email:

mailto:sjcprogcoordinator at carmetlitesistersocd.com

or access:

http://www.sacredheartretreathouse.com/men/fatima-with-father-andrew-apostoli/

St. Teresa of Avila (The Movie) Parts II and III.  Sunday, March 8; and Sunday, March 15.  Acclaimed, award-winning mini-series on the life of St. Teresa of Avila.  The Carmelite sisters invite anyone who would like to watch this movie with them.  The afternoon will begin at 4:00 p.m. and ends at 7:30 p.m.  There will be a break for supper (bring your own dinner), and resume the movie after that.

http://www.sacredheartretreathouse.com/men/saint-teresa/

Please note:  This event will be conducted in Spanish.  Spanish Day of Recollection/Dia de Retiro en Espanol.  Wednesday, April 1 / Martes, 1 de abril.  9:00am - 3:00pm.  Este dia ofrecera oportunidades para Conferencias, Confesion, Santa Misa, Via Crucis, el Rosario, y Adoracion del Santisimo Sacramento. Cost: $60.00 incluye un desayuno continental y almuerzo. Para obtener más información, por favor llame entre Miércoles y Sábado (626) 289-1353 ext. 200.  This day offers opportunities for conferences with Rev. Nivardo Quezada, confession, Holy Mass, Stations of the Cross, Rosary and Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.  The cost for the day is $60.00 which includes continential breakfast and lunch. RSVP is recommended. For more information or to RSVP, please contact the  Program Coordinator at (626) 289-1353 ext. 200.  More information is also available at:

http://www.sacredheartretreathouse.com/men/retiro-en-espanol-4-1-2015/

St. Teresa of Avila Conference.  Saturday, April 11, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  This conference is part of the Retreat House's and the Carmelites' celebration of the 5th Centenary of the birth of St. Teresa of Avila, the great Spanish mystic, reformer of the Carmelite Order, and first woman to be declared a Doctor of the Church.  Fr. George Reynolds and Sr. Timothy Marie, O.C.D., will explore the dynamism of her life and spiritual teachings.  The conference will take place at the St. Joseph Campus, 507 N. Granada Ave., Alhambra, CA  91801.  The cost of the conference is $35.00, which includes continental breakfast and lunch.  RSVP is recommended.  For more information or to RSVP, please contact the Program Coordinator at (626) 289-1353 ext. 200.  More information is also available at:

http://www.sacredheartretreathouse.com/men/st-teresa-of-avila-conference-2015-4-11/

22.       Serra Retreat in Malibu:  Calendar of Events

There will be an Intercommunity Sisters' Retreat, "Finding Meaning in Everyday Life," with Fr. Michael Doherty, O.F.M., and Sr. Carol Quinlivan, C.S.J.  It will be from Friday June 26, at 3:00 p.m., through Friday, July 3, at 1:00 p.m.  Sisters are invited to experience a week of shifting their perspective to see with new eyes, and re-discover God's presence in the midst of everyday living.  Cost is $425 per sister (includes meals).  There is a non-refundable deposit of $50 per sister to be paid with the registration.  For more information, please contact the Center at (310) 456-6631 or access:

http://www.serraretreat.com

This information is brought to you as a service of the Operations Department of the Archdiocesan Catholic Center in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, California. If you would like to invite others to subscribe to the ACC Newsbriefs, please forward this issue to them and they can follow directions below. The same direction is given to those who wish to unsubscribe.

Subscribing and unsubscribing can be done at:

Please send questions or submissions to:

Eileen E. O'Brien
(213) 637-7618
mailto:eeobrien at la-archdiocese.org