[Newsbriefs] ACC Newsbriefs - November 6, 2015

ADLA NewsBriefs newsbriefs at lists.la-archdiocese.org
Fri Nov 6 09:54:23 PST 2015

ACC Newsbriefs - November 6, 2015

Welcome to ACC Newsbriefs from the Archdiocesan Catholic Center (ACC) in Los Angeles. This weekly update (issued each Friday) brings news about the latest ministries, resources, events, workshops, etc. of the ACC departments and other entities. For more general information, please check the Archdiocesan website at:

http://www.la-archdiocese.org

New This Week:

  1.       Office of the Archbishop:  Installations of New Auxiliary Bishops as Episcopal Vicars, November and December Around the Archdiocese

  2.       Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  39th Annual Catholic-Jewish Women's Conference, Monday, November 9, and Wednesday, November 11, in Los Angeles

  3.       Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University:  "The Medicine of Mercy:  How Grace Moves Us to Become Persons of Mercy" with Mr. Bill Huebsch, Saturday, November 21

  4.       Office of Life, Justice, and Peace:  Meditations on Thanksgiving and Migration

  5.       St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish in Santa Clarita:  "Caring and Sharing Christmas Festival," Saturday, December 5

  6.       Office of Ethnic Ministry:  Simbang Gabi Celebration, Thursday, December 17, in Santa Monica

  7.       Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University:  Workshop Series on Movie Making and the New Evangelization, November, December, and January

  8.       Fr. Kolbe Missionaries:  Calendar of Events

  9.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Events

Important Information and Continuing Events:

10.       Immaculate Heart Radio:  Elevate Conference, Saturday, November 14, in Long Beach

11.       Altadena/Pasadena Black Catholic Association:  "To Be Black and Catholic:  A Formation Series" Continues First Thursdays in Altadena

12.       Wordnet Productions:  Schedule of Upcoming Programs

13.       St. Andrew's Abbey in Valyermo:  Retreat Offerings

14.       Southern California Partners for Global Justice:  Symposium 2016 on Human Trafficking, Saturday, March 5, 2016, in Los Angeles

New This Week:

1.         Office of the Archbishop:  Installations of New Auxiliary Bishops as Episcopal Vicars, November and December Around the Archdiocese

The three new Auxiliary Bishops of the Archdiocese will be installed as Episcopal Vicars of their Pastoral Regions.  All are invited to the following:

Saturday, November 21, at 6:30 p.m., at Mission San Buenaventura in Ventura

Bp. Robert Barron to be installed as Episcopal Vicar, Santa Barbara Region

(This Mass is also in honor of Junipero Serra being recognized as a saint.)

Sunday, November 22, at 11:15 a.m., at Mission San Gabriel in San Gabriel

Bp. David O'Connell to be installed as Episcopal Vicar, San Gabriel Region

(This Mass is also in honor of Junipero Serra being recognized as a saint.)

Saturday, December 19, at 3:00 p.m., at St. Charles Borromeo Parish in North Hollywood

Bp. Joseph Brennan to be installed as Episcopal Vicar, San Fernando Region

(No Serra celebration at this Mass.)

Priests who wish to concelebrate are asked to contact the respective Regional Office to arrange for seating.

2.         Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs:  39th Annual Catholic-Jewish Women's Conference, Monday, November 9, and Wednesday, November 11, in Los Angeles

The Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs is one of the sponsors of the 39th Annual Catholic-Jewish Women's Conference.  This year, it will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the promulgation of Nostra Aetate.

Part 1:  "The Vatican II Revolution:  The Ongoing Struggle for Jewish-Catholic Reconciliation" on Monday, November 9, at Loyola Marymount University.  The reception is at 6:00 p.m., followed by a choral music program at 6:30 p.m., and speakers at 7:30 p.m.  Noted interfaith scholars and authors Dr. Amy-Jill Levine and Dr. Mary Boys, S.N.J.M. will present.  This event is free and open to the public; however, reservations are requested.  Please contact Saundra at (818) 609-7070 or access:

http://www.catholicjewishwomenla.org

Part 2:  "From Estrangement to Sisterhood:  Moving Forward Together" on Wednesday, November 11, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at the Conference Center at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.  Speakers for this event are Dr. Holli Levitsky and Dr. Susan Abraham.  Cost is $40 per person, and includes lunch.  Please contact Saundra at (818) 609-7070 or access:

http://www.catholicjewishwomenla.org

3.         Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University:  "The Medicine of Mercy:  How Grace Moves Us to Become Persons of Mercy" with Mr. Bill Huebsch, Saturday, November 21

L.M.U.'s Center for Religion and Spirituality is presenting a workshop, "The Medicine of Mercy:  How Grace Moves Us to Become Persons of Mercy" with Mr. Bill Huebsch on Saturday, November 21, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., in the Ahmanson Auditorium in University Hall.  In his opening speech at Vatican II, St. Pope John XXIII proclaimed that the time has come for the Church "to use the medicine of mercy rather than taking up arms of severity."  At the 50th anniversary of the close of Vatican II and the beginning of the Jubilee Year of Mercy, this workshop will allow participants to come together and consider how they can become persons of mercy and lead the church to become a beacon of mercy to the world.  This is a practical, hands-on workshop that will include pastoral ideas.  Cost is $30 per person.  Registration is available at:

http://cal.lmu.edu/event/lmux151121

4.         Office of Life, Justice, and Peace:  Meditations on Thanksgiving and Migration

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles has joined with the Diocese of Orange and the Diocese of San Bernardino to encourage prayerful reflection during this special time of year.  Their "Thanksgiving Days:  Remembering Our Family History" invites people to reflect on how their personal stories connect with those who migrate.  Parish and school communities are encouraged to use these reflections on the weekend before Thanksgiving (Feast of Christ the King and the beginning of the Year of Mercy) so that families can then use them for their own Thanksgiving gathering.  The hope is that through family sharing, it will become clearer how much people share the migrant or immigrant experience.  Find the meditation at:

http://www.la-archdiocese.org/org/oljp/Pages/default.aspx

5.         St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish in Santa Clarita:  "Caring and Sharing Christmas Festival," Saturday, December 5

St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish in Santa Clarita is hosting a "Caring and Sharing Christmas Festival" to benefit a number of local charities.  It will be held on Saturday, December 5, from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  The event will include children's games, pictures with Santa Claus, and food booths, along with hands-on service projects that can be done by both children and adults.  For more information, please contact the parish at (661) 296-3180.

6.         Office of Ethnic Ministry:  Simbang Gabi Celebration, Thursday, December 17, in Santa Monica

The Filipino Community is celebrating Simbang Gabi in anticipation of Christmas.  It will be held at St. Monica Parish in Santa Monica.  Bp. Oscar Solis will celebrate mass on Thursday, December 17, at 7:00 p.m., followed by a catered dinner.  This event is free and open to the public; however, donations are gratefully accepted.  For more information and registration, please contact:

StMonicaSimbangGabi at gmail.com<mailto:StMonicaSimbangGabi at gmail.com>

7.         Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University:  Workshop Series on Movie Making and the New Evangelization, November, December, and January

The Center for Religion and Spirituality at Loyola Marymount University is sponsoring a workshop series on movie making and the New Evangelization to introduce participants to media production and the opportunities it presents those in ministry, education, and service, especially in communities marked by issues of social justice.  The next installments are:  "Writing your Movie" with Jim McDermott, S.J., Saturday, November 14, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.  "Making your Movie" with Mr. Luis Proenca, Saturday, December 19, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.  "Sharing your Movie with the World" with Ms. Valerie Arias, Saturday, January 23, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.  Each of these workshops is $25 per person.  For additional information, please contact the Center at (310) 338-2799 or at:

crs at lmu.edu<mailto:crs at lmu.edu>.

The website is:

http://academics.lmu.edu/extension/crs/projects/cinema

8.         Fr. Kolbe Missionaries:  Calendar of Events

The Fr. Kolbe Missionaries are sponsoring the following events:

Mother of Mercy. Saturday, November 7, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon.  Marian Day in preparation for the Year of Mercy.  It will be held at Nativity Parish in Torrance.  For more information, please access:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1041653349208979/

Discernment Nights for Young Adults. Thursday, November 12; and Thursday, November 19, from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  Participants are invited to find their paths to intimacy with God.  It will be held at the Fr. Kolbe Missionary Center in West Covina.  More information is available at:
http://www.kolbemission.org/discernment

MI Women's Group.  Wednesdays, November 11, 18, and 25; December 2, 9, and 16, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.  Women are invited to pray the Scriptures through Lectio Divina.  It will be held at the Fr. Kolbe Missionary Center in West Covina.  More information is available at:
http://www.kolbemission.org/miwomen

Journey of Healing.  Wednesdays, November 11, 18, and 25; December 2, 9, and 16, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.  A Biblical reflection series on Christ's healing ministry in the synoptic Gospels.  It is a journey from recognition to response with Christ.  The evenings will include discussion, prayer, reflection, and song.  They will be held at St. Joseph School in La Puente.

Families to the Max.  Sunday, November 22, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.  All families are welcome to the community's quarterly gathering just for families.  Families to the Max this year will follow the theme of the Mission of the Family.  For more information, please access:
http://www.kolbemission.org/familiestothemax

Mother of Mercy. Sunday, December 6, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  Marian Day in preparation for the Year of Mercy.  It will be held at the Fr. Kolbe Missionary Center in West Covina.  For more information, please access:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1041653349208979/

For more information on any of these events, please contact the Fr. Kolbe Missionaries at (626) 917-0040 or at:

FKMissionaries at gmail.com<mailto:FKMissionaries at gmail.com>

Their website is:

http://www.kolbemission.org/en

9.         Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes is sponsoring the following events:

"12-Step (AA) Weekend Retreat for Women: Onward and Inward" with Fr. Terry R.  7:00pm Friday, November 13 to 1:30pm Sunday, November 15.  Its November again - time to step aside from the hustle and bustle of life and find some sacred space for renewal and re-evaluation. How is my program progressing? Am I growing in relationship with my Higher Power? Father Terry will lead our reflections and offer inspiration and hope. Our sharing will be lively and enriching. Perhaps you can encourage a newcomer to participate in the retreat. Non-denominational. Cost: per person/shared $230; single room $335.

Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/11-13%20Richey%20Women%20tear.pdf
Click here for online registration

https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=15414

"12-Step Weekend Retreat: The Joy of Living" with John  McAndrew, MA, MDiv.  7:00pm Friday, December 4 to 1:30pm Sunday, December 6.  "The joy of living is the theme of AA's 12th Step, and action is its key word" (12&12, p. 106). We'll consider how we 'practice these principles in all our affairs' in the company of other men & women who have embraced this way of life. How can I better practice my program in my relationships? How do I enlarge my spiritual life? This weekend is designed for people seeking a deepening of their spiritual lives. For men and women, couples or singles- all seekers and 12&12 Fellowships welcome! Non-denominational. Cost: Couples shared room $455 ($440 if paid in full before November 13) per person/shared $230 ($215 if paid in full before November 13) single room $335 ($320 if paid in full before November 13).

Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/12-4%20MacAndrew%20tear.pdf
Click here for online registration

https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=15415

"Life in the Spirit:  The Kingdom Breaking Through" with Katherine Coolidge.  Saturday, December 5,  9:00am to 3:00pm.  Advent is a time of waiting but life goes on while we wait. Come spend time with John the Baptist, Mary & Elizabeth - explore how you are called to live AND wait for the coming of Jesus at Christmas. Bring your Bible, notepad and heart open to the movement of the Holy Spirit in Advent! Lunch included. Cost: $50 ($45 if paid in full by November 27).

Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/12-5%20Advent%20Katherine%20tear.pdf
Click here for online registration

https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=15416

"Christmas Tea and Carols."  Sunday, December 6, Tea 2pm; Concert 3pm.  Step back in time to the bygone era of carolers dressed in Victorian costumes. "A Holiday Affaire" will entertain you with Christmas favorites, after a delightful high tea with scones, finger sandwiches and desserts, prepared by our talented kitchen staff. Make this event a family tradition!  Cost for Tea and Concert: Adult $25 ($20 if paid before Nov. 21) Children 4-12 $15 ($12 if paid before Nov. 22) Children under 4 free.

Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/12-6%20Tea%20&%20Carols%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration

https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=28754

9th Annual Nativity Exhibit: "The Animals at the Stable" with Ellen Mintz.  Sunday, December 6 to Monday, December 21 (various hours).  "Jesus our brother, kind and good, was humbly born in a stable rude.  And the friendly beasts around Him stood, Jesus our brother, kind & good."  Every year during our Nativity Exhibit we experience new and different ways to look at the celebration of the Birth. This year we are featuring the animals whose presence at the stable reminds all of their place in our World. From St. Francis' first celebration of the Christmas Mass with live animals and a manger for his altar to the English carol, The Friendly Beasts, both traditional and usual animals have populated nativity sets. Please join us this year for our annual exhibit and see what creatures come to the stable.  Call in advance for docent tours and field trip reservations.  Donations requested for docent led tours. Make our exhibit a Christmas Tradition with friends and family. Admission is free - Our Christmas gift to you!

Printable pdf flier with Tear-off

http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/12-6%20Nativity%20clr%20web.pdf

Las Posadas con Marlene Velazquez.  Domingo 20 de Diciembre,  4:00 to 6:00pm.  Las Posadas son una festividad Navideña. La Navidad significa el nacimiento de Nuestro Señor Jesucristo. Y una de las formas de celebrarlo simbólicamente es haciendo "Posadas". Ven y celebra con nosotros una Posada para actuar por lo que pasaron José y María para encontrar posada en su viaje a Belén. Vamos a tener piñatas, aperitivos, y vevidas para todos. Costo: Adultos $5, niños 4-12 $2, niños menores de 4 son gratis.

Click here for online registration

https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=28769

Las Posadas with Marlene Velazquez.  Sunday, December 20, 4:00 to 6:00pm.  In California, Christmas has been enriched with many elements from the Hispanic culture including music, food, piñatas and the Posada journey. Join us for a symbolic commemoration of Las Posadas as Mary and Joseph search for lodging on their journey to Bethlehem. We will have a piñata for the children as well as snacks and refreshments for all. Cost: Adults $5, children 4-12 $2, children under 4 free.

Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/12-21%20Las%20Posadas%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration

https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=28770

Epiphany Concert with Tom Bellizia.  Sunday, January 3, 2016, from 3:00 to 5:00pm.  Our musical celebration of the Epiphany will be led by Tom Bellizia. Following the concert we will bless the Retreat Center using a traditional blessing. Chalk & holy water will be provided. Refreshments will be served. Cost: $20 per person.

Click here for online registration

https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=28772

"Harmony and Peace: The Al-Anon Way" with Fr. Terry R. For Family and Friends of an Alcoholic.  7:00pm Friday, January 22, 2016 - 1:30pm Sunday, January 24, 2016.  Come aside for quiet space to revitalize your commitment to recovery, one day at a time. We do not make this journey alone. With help from our Higher Power and good friends extraordinary things can happen. Father Terry will provide inspiration, challenge and encouragement. Sharing our stories and our struggles with other retreatants is a highlight of this retreat. Non-denominational.  Cost: per person/shared $230 ($215 if paid before January 1) single room $335 ($320 if paid before January 1)

Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/1-22%20Richey%20Al-Anon%20tear.pdf
Click here for online registration

https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=28773

"Journey Through Grief" with Sr. Laura Gormley, SSL.  Saturday, January 23, 2016, 9:00am to 3:00pm.  The loss of a beloved spouse, parent or relative, or close friend sends us on a journey of grief. On this journey we struggle with our hopes & fears, our longings & expectations, as we learn to accept our new way of being and moving forward with our individual lives. We will explore ways that may help us along this path. The retreat includes lunch.  Cost: $50 ($45 if paid in full by January 15) .

Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/1-23%20Grief%20tear%20web.pdf

Click here for online registration

https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=28777

For more information about any of these events, please contact the Center at (310) 377-4867 or access:

http://www.maryjoseph.org

Important Information and Continuing Events:

10.       Immaculate Heart Radio:  Elevate Conference, Saturday, November 14, in Long Beach

Immaculate Heart Radio is hosting its Elevate Conference on Saturday, November 14, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., at the Renaissance Long Beach Hotel, located at 111 E. Ocean Blvd., Long Beach, CA  90802.  Speakers will include personalities from Immaculate Heart Radio, including Mr. Terry Barber, Mr. Cy Kellett, Mr. Patrick Madrid, Mother Miriam of the Lamb of God, Mr. Phil Sandoval, and Mr. Joe Sikorra.  They will discuss living out one's faith in the 21st century.  Cost for general admission tickets (seating in rows 6 through 19) is $75, plus a $4.95 handling fee.  Cost for VIP tickets (seating in rows 1 through 5) is $100, plus a $6 handling fee.  Lunch is included, as well as beverages throughout the day.  To purchase tickets, or for more information, please access:

http://www.ihradio.com/elevate

11.       Altadena/Pasadena Black Catholic Association:  "To Be Black and Catholic:  A Formation Series" Continues First Thursdays in Altadena

The Altadena/Pasadena Black Catholic Association presents a yearlong seminar series journeying through Black Catholicism.  The main speaker, Mr. Jared Anderson, will focus on Black Catholic spirituality, catechesis, and liturgy, as well as history, Catholic social teachings, and social justice.  Sessions will be held at St. Elizabeth of Hungary Parish in Altadena.  The series will continue on the first Thursday each month at 7:00 p.m. with occasional guest speakers.  The schedule of topics is as follows:

December 2015: Mary and the Communion of Saints
January 2016: Justice and Hope
February 2016: Catholic Social Teaching and Racism
March 2016: The Paschal Mystery
April 2016: The Black Christ
May 2016: A Black Catholic Understanding of The Church
June 2016: To Be Black, Catholic, and Womanist
July 2016: Black Catholic History
August 2016: Scripture in the Life of the Black Catholic

This course is free and open to all; however, donations are gratefully accepted.  People can go to any and all topics that interest them.  For more information, please contact Ms. Edwina Clay at (626) 840-3562 or Mr. Jared Anderson at:

janderson at stbernardym.org<mailto:janderson at stbernardym.org>

12.       Wordnet Productions:  Schedule of Upcoming Programs

Wordnet Productions has published its schedule of upcoming programs, including Fr. Michael Manning's series on the four gospels, starting in December.  Find more information at:

http://www.wordnet.tv

13.       St. Andrew's Abbey in Valyermo:  Retreat Offerings

The Abbey is sponsoring a number of upcoming retreats:

"Guess What's Coming for Dinner:  A Cooking Workshop/Retreat."  Monday, November 16, through Friday, November 20, with Fr. Isaac Kalina, O.S.B.  This week in the monastery kitchen will include various recipes.  Cost (including room, board, and tuition):  $400 per person for a single room; $350 per person for a shared room.  Registration is available at:

http://www.valyermoretreats.com/category-s/1983.htm

"Priests' Retreat."  Monday, November 30, through Friday, December 4, with Fr. Francis Benedict, O.S.B.  This retreat, open to both diocesan priests and religious order priests, will focus on the following themes:  priest as servant-leader; transitions and changes that challenge priests toward deeper spiritual maturity; and the will and willingness to embrace God's purposes in priests' lives.  Cost (including room, board, and tuition): $400 per person for a single room.  Registration is available at:

http://www.valyermoretreats.com/category-s/1986.htm

For more information, please contact the Abbey's Retreat Office at (661) 944-2178 or access:

http://www.valyermoretreats.com

14.       Southern California Partners for Global Justice:  Symposium 2016 on Human Trafficking, Saturday, March 5, 2016, in Los Angeles

Southern California Partners for Global Justice will sponsor its Symposium 2016 on Saturday, March 5, 2016, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., on the Doheny Campus of Mount Saint Mary's University in Los Angeles.  "Price Tags = Red Flags.  Consumers:  The Demand Side of Modern Day Slavery" will focus on the causes of human trafficking.  Sr. Veronica Brand, R.S.H.M., the Non-Governmental Representative at the United Nations, will be the keynote speaker.  Cost is $10, but free to students.  For more information, please contact Sr. Diane Smith, C.S.J., at:

dsmith at csjla.org<mailto:dsmith at csjla.org>

or at (310) 889-2119.

This information is brought to you as a service of the Operations Department of the Archdiocesan Catholic Center in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, California. If you would like to invite others to subscribe to the ACC Newsbriefs, please forward this issue to them and they can follow directions below. The same direction is given to those who wish to unsubscribe.

Subscribing and unsubscribing can be done at:

Please send questions or submissions to:

Eileen E. O'Brien
(213) 637-7618
mailto:eeobrien at la-archdiocese.org