[Newsbriefs] ACC Newsbriefs - December 2, 2016

ADLA NewsBriefs newsbriefs at lists.la-archdiocese.org
Fri Dec 2 08:44:59 PST 2016

ACC Newsbriefs - December 2, 2016

Welcome to ACC Newsbriefs from the Archdiocesan Catholic Center (ACC) in Los Angeles. This weekly update (issued each Friday) brings news about the latest ministries, resources, events, workshops, etc. of the ACC departments and other entities. For more general information, please check the Archdiocesan website at:

http://www.la-archdiocese.org

New This Week:

  1.       Office for Worship:  Lector Ministry Renewal, Tuesdays in January and February 2017 Throughout the Archdiocese

  2.       Mission Doctors Association:  2017 Pope Francis Scholarships Now Accepting Applications

  3.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Additional Events

Important Information and Continuing Events:

  4.       Loyola Marymount University:  "St. Ignatius of Loyola:  A Call to Every Life," with Dr. Wilkie Au, Saturday, December 3

  5.       Our Lady of Guadalupe Celebration on Sunday, December 4, in Los Angeles

  6.       Office for Worship:  Upcoming Liturgical Ministry Training Begins in December in Chatsworth

  7.       Valyermo Dancers:  "Dancing Festival of Lessons and Carols," Saturday, December 10, and Sunday, December 11, in Encino

  8.       Bp. Robert Barron:  Word on Fire Episodes Will be Broadcast in December

  9.       Office of Life, Justice, and Peace:  OneLife LA on Saturday, January 21, 2017, in Los Angeles

10.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Events

11.       Sacred Heart Retreat House in Alhambra:  Calendar of Events

12.       Parishioners Federal Credit Union:  New Mobile Banking Application Now Available

New This Week:

1.         Office for Worship:  Lector Ministry Renewal, Tuesdays in January and February 2017 Throughout the Archdiocese

The Office for Worship of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles is offering Lector Ministry Renewal workshops to assist lectors in the important ministry of proclaiming the Word.  Veteran lector coach Steve Domier will show participants how to rouse the faith of the assembly, inspiring them to discipleship by proclaiming the Word of the Lord with clarity and conviction.  Those interested are invited to attend one of these 90-minute workshops and learn the "5 Things to Become a Powerful Proclaimer."  With personal coaching, participants will have the opportunity to improve their  public speaking skills, and discover simple tips to deliver the Word in a more effective way.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017:  Lector Ministry Renewal Evening in the San Gabriel Pastoral Region with veteran lector coach Steve Domier held at Holy Family Parish Hall in South Pasadena from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  The cost is $15 per person.  For more information, please contact the Office for Worship at 213-637-7262.  Please register online at:

http://store.la-archdiocese.org/a-lector-ministry-renewal-evening

Tuesday, January 24, 2017:  Lector Ministry Renewal Evening in the Our Lady of the Angeles Pastoral Region with veteran lector coach Steve Domier held at St. Basil Parish in Los Angeles from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  The cost is $15 per person.  For more information, please contact the Office for Worship at 213-637-7262.  Please register online at:

http://store.la-archdiocese.org/lector-ministry-renewal-evening-12417

Tuesday, January 31, 2017:  Lector Ministry Renewal Evening in the San Fernando Pastoral Region with veteran lector coach Steve Domier held at St. Bernadine Parish Hall in Woodland Hills from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  The cost is $15 per person.  For more information, please contact the Office for Worship at 213-637-7262.  Please register online at:

http://store.la-archdiocese.org/sfpr-lector-ministry-renewal-evening-13117

Tuesday, February 7, 2017:  Lector Ministry Renewal Evening in the San Pedro Pastoral Region with veteran lector coach Steve Domier held at St. Dominic Savio Parish Hall in Bellflower from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  The cost is $15 per person.  For more information, please contact the Office for Worship at 213-637-7262.  Please register online at:

http://store.la-archdiocese.org/sppr-lector-ministry-renewal-evening-2717

Tuesday, February 21, 2017:  Lector Ministry Renewal Evening in the Santa Barbara Pastoral Region with veteran lector coach Steve Domier held at Our Lady of the Assumption Parish in Ventura from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  The cost is $15 per person.  For more information, please contact the Office for Worship at 213-637-7262.  Please register online at:

http://store.la-archdiocese.org/sbpr-lector-ministry-renewal-evening-22117

2.         Mission Doctors Association:  2017 Pope Francis Scholarships Now Accepting Applications

All students in Catholic high schools in the Archdiocese are invited to apply for the 2017 Pope Francis Scholarships, sponsored by the Mission Doctors Association.  Aimed at educating people about the alleviation of poverty, and the need for medical care, the students are invited to submit an original essay, video, poster, or artwork on one of the following topics:

1. The causes of poverty and how this affects the health of millions around the world.

2. Our role as Catholics in response to issues of poverty and healthcare needs around the world.

3. Solutions to the problems of extreme poverty and the need for health professionals in the world.

One winner will be selected per grade level, 9-12 grade. The prize for freshman, sophomores, and juniors will be $500 and the prize for the senior winner will be $1,000.  The Scholarships will be presented at the 2017 Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Christian Service Awards Mass.  Mission Doctors' Pope Francis Scholarship is open to all Catholic high school students in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.  The deadline for submission is midnight, February 28, 2017.  Scholarship award checks will be sent directly to the winners' schools.  The senior scholarship winner will have the option to have the award applied to high school or college tuition.  For more information, including application form, please access:

http://www.missiondoctors.org

3.         Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Additional Events

Experience the Center's Online Advent Calendar at www.maryjoseph.org<http://www.maryjoseph.org>
Go to the homepage and click on the image of Mary & Joseph reach the Advent Calendar. Be inspired each day of Advent by clicking on the links 'Day 1 through Day 24'. Each one will show you a new Bible quote and image as you follow Mary & Joseph's journey and the birth of Jesus.
www.maryjoseph.org<http://www.maryjoseph.org>
Advent Pilgrimage in the Labyrinth
Sunday, December 18, 2:00 to 4:00pm
A simple couple from Nazareth, Joseph and Mary were reluctant travelers on their journey to and from Bethlehem - all for the Child. This Advent we are invited to remember their travels as we walk the labyrinth - all for the Child who came to be with us. Free-will Donation

Las Posadas Marlene Velazquez
Domingo 18 de Diciembre, 4:00 to 6:00pm
Las Posadas son una festividad Navideña. La Navidad significa el nacimiento de Nuestro Señor Jesucristo. Y una de las formas de celebrarlo simbólicamente es haciendo "Posadas". Ven y celebra con nosotros una Posada para actuar por lo que pasaron José y María para encontrar posada en su viaje a Belén. Vamos a tener piñatas, aperitivos, y vevidas para todos. Costo: Adultos $5, niños 4-12 $2, niños menores de 4 son gratis.
Las Posadas
Sunday, December 18, 4:00 to 6:00pm
In California, Christmas has been enriched with many elements from the Hispanic culture including music, food, piñatas and the Posada journey. Join us for a symbolic commemoration of Las Posadas as Mary and Joseph search for lodging on their journey to Bethlehem. We will have a piñata for the children as well as snacks and refreshments for all. Cost: Adults $5, children 4-12 $2, children under 4 free.
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://maryjoseph.org/pdfs/12-18%20Las%20Posadas%20tear.pdf
Click here for online registration
https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=31992

Al-Anon Weekend Retreat for Women                      Heather King, MA
Enjoy the Beautiful: Just for Today in Al-Anon
7:00pm Friday, January 20 to 1:30pm Sunday, January 22, 2017
Learning to detach with love from the alcoholic-addict constitutes some of the highest spiritual work on earth. When we put the focus on fully living OUR lives, all heaven breaks loose. Bring your Just for Today bookmark or pamphlet. Heather King is sober 29 years in AA. She writes the column, The Crux, for Angelus, the La Archdiocesan magazine. She leads retreats and speaks nationwide, blogs on art, culture and the magic of LA. Cost: per person/shared $240 ($225 if paid in full by December 30); single room $345 ($330 if paid in full by December 30)
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/1-20%20Heather%20Al-Anon%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration
https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=31993

Journey Through Grief                                      Sr. Laura Gormley, SSL
Saturday, January 28, 9:00am to 3:00pm
The loss of a beloved spouse, parent, relative, or close friend sends us on a journey of grief. On this journey we struggle with our hopes & fears, our longings & expectations, as we learn to accept our new way of being and moving forward with our individual lives. We will explore ways that may help us along this path. Lunch included.Cost: $50 ($45 if paid in full by January 20)
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://www.maryjoseph.org/pdfs/1-28%20Grief%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration
https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=32424

Important Information and Continuing Events:

4.       Loyola Marymount University:  "St. Ignatius of Loyola:  A Call to Every Life," with Dr. Wilkie Au, Saturday, December 3

Loyola Marymount University is sponsoring the following event:
"St. Ignatius of Loyola: A Call to Everyday Life" A Workshop with Dr. Wilkie Au.  Saturday, December 3, 9:00am to 12:00 noon.  After surviving a severe war injury, St. Ignatius of Loyola returned to home to recuperate. From this and subsequent introspective struggles would emerge his major writings: The Spiritual Exercises, the Autobiography, and The Constitutions of the Society of Jesus. This workshop will look at the life and teachings of St. Ignatius of Loyola and rich spiritual legacy of his writings as the foundation of Ignatian Spirituality. Cost is $30 per person, free parking. For more information and registration, please visit:

http://cal.lmu.edu/event/lmux161203

5.         Our Lady of Guadalupe Celebration on Sunday, December 4, in Los Angeles; Choir Members and Mariachi Group Members Needed

Members across the Archdiocese will join together to celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe on Sunday, December 4.  The theme for this year's celebration is "Protector of the Family."  There will be a procession starting at 10:30 a.m. at the corner of Cesar Chavez Ave. and the 710 freeway.  People will process to East Los Angeles College (1301 Cesar Chavez Ave. in Monterey Park), where Abp. José H. Gomez will celebrate Mass at 1:00 p.m.  People are also invited to join the choir, which requires attendance at rehearsals.  The remaining rehearsals will be on
Wednesdays, November 23 and 30, from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., at St. Marcellinus Parish in Commerce.  For more information about participating in the choir, please contact St. Marcellinus Parish at (323) 269-2733.  For more information about being part of the mariachi group, please contact Mr. Richard Mata at (323) 506-6600.

6.         Office for Worship:  Upcoming Liturgical Ministry Training Begins in December in Chatsworth

Master Lector Training (a six-class training) will take place on Saturdays December 10, January 28, February 11, March 18, April 1, and May 6, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., at St. John Eudes Parish in Chatsworth.  The cost is $75 per person.  For questions, please contact the Office for Worship at 213-637-7262.  Please register online at:

http://store.la-archdiocese.org/master-lector-training

7.         Valyermo Dancers:  "Dancing Festival of Lessons and Carols," Saturday, December 10, and Sunday, December 11, in Encino

The Valyermo Dancers are offering two performances of "Dancing Festival of Lessons and Carols" on Saturday, December 10, at 2:00 p.m., repeated again on Sunday, December 11, at 2:00 p.m., both at the Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino.  These concert performances are choreographed by John West.  All are invited to spend an afternoon at Holy Spirit Retreat Center in Encino and celebrate the joyous expectation of Christmas through dance, music, poetry, and Scripture-based prayer.  Open to all, this is an inter-faith, ecumenical, multilingual, and multi-cultural celebration of the Season of Light.  If this is a return visit, people will likely find new works added to previous favorites.  For tickets ($15 per person) and more information, please access:

http://www.valyermodancers.org/Lessons_and_Carols_Dance_Concert_2016__.pdf

8,         Bp. Robert Barron:  Word on Fire Episodes Will be Broadcast in December

Bp. Robert Barron invites all to watch the Word On Fire Pivotal Players Vol. 1 episodes that will be broadcast on KOCE (channel 50) on Tuesday, December 13, at 8:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., and then on Monday, December 19, at 8:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.  The episodes will be about St. Francis of Assisi and Michelangelo.  For more information, please access:

http://pivotalplayers.wordonfire.org/#tv

9.         Office of Life, Justice, and Peace:  OneLife LA on Saturday, January 21, 2017, in Los Angeles

All are invited to join Archbishop Gomez and tens of thousands in downtown Los Angeles for the third annual OneLife LA, an event celebrating the beauty and dignity of every human life from conception to natural death.  On Saturday, January 21, 2017, beginning at 12:00 noon at La Placita/Olvera St., participants will walk to Grand Park for a family-friendly day of inspiring speakers, live music, entertainment, food trucks (food available for purchase), and exhibits from community organizations serving those in need.  The Requiem Mass for the Unborn at the Cathedral will follow at 5:00 p.m.  Register for free today at:

http://www.OneLifeLA.org

10.       Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes:  Calendar of Events

Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes is sponsoring the following events:
Advent: Awake to God's Gracious Presence             Sr. Edith Prendergast, RSC
Saturday, December 3, 9:00am to 3:00pm
Come! Ponder the precious gift of 'God with Us'! We celebrate the wonder of God in history, in mystery and in the daily trek... Savor the opportunity to pause, to contemplate and to journey toward the future with hope in a God who comes! Who Comes! Sr. Edith is former Director of Religious Education in the LA Archdiocese. She holds a Doctorate in Ministry from Claremont School of Theology and a Masters from Boston College. Lunch included. Cost: $50 ($45 if paid in full by November 27)
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://maryjoseph.org/pdfs/12-3%20Advent%20Edith%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration
https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=31096

A Victorian Christmas Tea & Carols
Sunday, December 4, 2016Tea 2:00pm; Concert 3:00pm
Victorian Carolers "A Holiday Affaire" will be singing Christmas favorites a cappella in beautiful period costumes to harken us back to a bygone era of pomp & splendor. Get into the Christmas spirit with this special holiday event featuring beautiful singing and delicious refreshments! Cost for Tea & Concert: Adult $25; Children 4-12 $15; Children under 4 free
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://maryjoseph.org/pdfs/12-4%20Tea%20&%20Carols%20tear%20web.pdf
Click here for online registration
https://e-giving.org/Registration_v2.5/ViewEvent.asp?evntid=31991

The Flight into Egypt                                                  Curator: Ellen Mintz
Sunday, December 4 through Wednesday, December 21
Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, "Arise, take the young Child and His mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you word; for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him."           Matthew 2:13

Many traditions have evolved from the story of the Nativity of Christ. This year we are celebrating depictions of the Holy Family's flight into Egypt. Frightened by stories of the birth of a King of the Jews, Herod sent his army to find the Jewish boy born according to prophecy. Warned by an angel, Joseph takes Mary and Jesus to hide in Egypt. As refugees, they relied on the charity of others to protect the Child allowing Him to grow up to fulfill His destiny. Please join us as we celebrate both the journey, and those who helped the Family on their way.
Sunday, Dec. 4: 5-9pm (Opening Day). Sunday, Dec. 11: 1-9pm; Monday/Wednesday, 9am-9pm; Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 9am-6pm; Friday/Saturday/Sunday, Dec. 16-18, 9am-9pm; Mon.- Wed. Dec. 19-21: 9am-5pm; *Closed Sat. December 10
Call in advance for docent tours, field trip reservations and fees. Please join us this year for our annual exhibit and see nativities from all over the world. Make our exhibit a Christmas celebration with friends and family. Exhibit admission is free - Our Christmas gift to you! For information contact Sydne at (310) 377-4867 ext 258 or sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org<mailto:sjongbloed at maryjoseph.org>.
Printable pdf flier with Tear-off
http://maryjoseph.org/pdfs/12-4%20Nativity%20clr%20web.pdf

A Silent Weekend Retreat                                            James Finley, PhD
Exploring the Deathless Nature of Love in T. S. Eliot's Poem Four Quartets
7:00pm Friday, December 9 to 1:30pm Sunday, December 11
In this silent retreat James Finley will guide us in a prayerful exploration of the mystical teaching found in T. S. Eliot's poem Four Quartets. We will gently open up the admittedly challenging language of the poem to discover how it encourages us to experience God's presence in the passage of time, the fragility of life, the smell of a rose and other intimate and foundational human experiences. We will see how the poem guides along a path that leads to a profound experience of God's deathless love giving itself to us in life itself. Ways of praying and meditating that nurture and guide our surrender to love will be explored. References in the poem to Christian and non-Christian mystics will be examined. The retreat will include periods of shared silent prayer, personal reflection and discussion of the themes presented.
Cost: per person/shared $335 ($320 if paid in full by November 18); single room $455 ($440 if paid in full by November 18)
***Overnight accommodations for this retreat are full.
***If you want to be added to a wait list in case there is a cancellation call Marlene at 310.377.4867 x234.
Limited space remaining for commuters ~ Cost: $245 includes all meals & presentations

For more information on these events, please access:

http://www.maryjoseph.org

or call (310) 377-4867.

11.         Sacred Heart Retreat House in Alhambra:  Calendar of Events

Sacred Heart Retreat House in Alhambra is sponsoring the following events:

More For Moms